The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I’m the same. If Moore goes then I’d probably take Doolan as a backup option but I’m far more interested as to who we sign to replace Shankland. Don’t like the idea of a 33 and a 34 year old up top for us next season.

Luke McCowan imo. 

Reckon Moore will go, don't think I'd want to hang about if I was in his shoes. Amount of abuse the lad has taken by some sections of our support is unreal. Reckon he'll pop up in league 1 before coming back to haunt us the season after.

I'm more worried about who we'll have between the sticks next year, there are goals all over this team,  if we could get Doohan back again next year I'd be over the moon. 

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Luke McCowan imo. 

Reckon Moore will go, don't think I'd want to hang about if I was in his shoes. Amount of abuse the lad has taken by some sections of our support is unreal. Reckon he'll pop up in league 1 before coming back to haunt us the season after.

I'm more worried about who we'll have between the sticks next year, there are goals all over this team,  if we could get Doohan back again next year I'd be over the moon. 

Is there really?

Highest goal scorers after Shankland are Moff on 5 and Moore and McDaid both on 4.

Forrest might have gotten a handful more if it wasn’t for injury but it looks to me that - besides replacing Shankland and Moore - we badly need a midfielder capable of chipping in with double figures or thereabouts. The closest we have to a goal scoring midfielder is Geggan but he spends half the season out injured.

I can see why Moore would go, but I can also see why he may stay...McCall is a big fan, he’s had an injury ravaged season and there may not be a huge queue of clubs lined up for him. Plus, McCall could see him as the replacement for Shankland. He’s not hit the net much at all this year but he’s also hardly played. Depends how much he would cost in a wage, really.

I like Moore, I like his effort and that head knock fucked him. Thought he was going to come on to a game last season but the emergence of Shankland put paid to that. I’d be happy if he stayed, as a chance to prove himself or used as backup but not as the main striker.

33 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Is there really?

Highest goal scorers after Shankland are Moff on 5 and Moore and McDaid both on 4.

Forrest might have gotten a handful more if it wasn’t for injury but it looks to me that - besides replacing Shankland and Moore - we badly need a midfielder capable of chipping in with double figures or thereabouts. The closest we have to a goal scoring midfielder is Geggan but he spends half the season out injured.

Yes, we just need to recapture the same sort of confidence we had in league 1. This season alot more play was directed through Shankland. A fully fit Forrest in form would get 10 in this league, he was our leading goal scorer last time we were up and Moore spent the season injured. 

McCowan is looking a real prospect, so a run of games and he'll kick on.  

This will probably prove an unpopular opinion but I still think we need a major clear out in the summer, our squad is aging.

From the players already signed up the only ones I’d want starting in a regular basis is:  Daniel Harvie, Andy Murdoch and Alan Forrest (if he recaptures his early season form). 

From the out of contract players who’s futures are unknown the only ones I’d keep is Declan McDaid, Michael Moffat and Robbie Crawford.

So with a heavy heart it should be a cheerio to the likes of Stevie Bell, Jamie Adams, Andy Geggan, Mark Kerr etc. All capable players but injury prone. 

I'm I the only one who is skeptical about Doolan potentially signing he's what 33 now hasn't exactly set the heather on fire this season and is being released by a club we beat 4 out of 5 times this season maybe as a back up or a plan B from the bench but not as direct replacement for Shankland we should be looking at younger guys in that 21 to 23 year our bracket with something to prove.

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This will probably prove an unpopular opinion but I still think we need a major clear out in the summer, our squad is aging.

From the players already signed up the only ones I’d want starting in a regular basis is:  Daniel Harvie, Andy Murdoch and Alan Forrest (if he recaptures his early season form). 

From the out of contract players who’s futures are unknown the only ones I’d keep is Declan McDaid, Michael Moffat and Robbie Crawford.

So with a heavy heart it should be a cheerio to the likes of Stevie Bell, Jamie Adams, Andy Geggan, Mark Kerr etc. All capable players but injury prone. 

I can see your point but I would be happier knowing the manager was focussing his energy on getting the proper quality in to replace the top guys who are leaving like Smith Rose and Shankland to compliment the guys we have who have proven competent at this level, rather than having to bring 9 or 10 new players in and hoping they gel.  There have been recent examples of teams with a far higher budget than us trying that and failing spectacularly

Edited by Hursty

15 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

^Agree 100%

Torn over this. Imo major squad overhauls rarely work. People might’ve said we needed one last summer but we didn’t do it and it paid off.

I’m quite happy with the group we’ve got already signed and think they’re all capable of doing it in the Championship (the jury is still out on Muirhead but I think we should wait until next season).

I’d definitely be keeping Kerr. For the most part I think he’s been good and his injury was one of the reasons we fell away. I’d have him as a backup. Crawford is away. Hamilton Accies are the destination apparently but if he was to stay I’d be happy. I’d probably let Bell go and I think he’ll actually want to leave and Adams should be let go as well. Geggan is a top guy and a reliable if unspectacular player but I agree he might be better off elsewhere. Moffat should absolutely be re-signed.

I’ve maybe been harsh on McDaid recently but I think he’s away as well. Dunfermline supposedly came close last season so I wouldn’t be surprised if he left. Moore might want game time elsewhere. With Airdrie going full time and with Falkirk and maybe Raith and Queens in League 1 he could definitely get a FT gig down a division.

Which leaves us with

New GK

Ferguson
New CB
New CB
Harvie

Forrest
Murdoch
New CM
New LM

Moffat
New ST

Subs
Hare-Reid
Muirhead
Kerr
Docherty
McCowan
McGuffie
New ST

Another unpopular opinion is Moffat is done at this level as a starter I would defo have him at the club and may good for making an impact sub or as a coach but surely McCowan has done enough in the last 3 weeks to get a run in the team his energy and direct running changed the game when he on the other night, would love for Moff to prove me wrong and get the 100 goals for the club but can't see it now

We’ve looked pretty leg weary of late, but a bugger off bonanza would be absolutely mindless given we already know smith, Rose, Shankland, Doohan and probably Crawford are away.  Moffat and Bell are must keeps as far as I’m concerned.  I’m genuinely perplexed by Ayr fans who don’t see how steady a player Bell has been for us.   The suggestion he is injury prone isn’t backed up by the stats.  As for Moffat, I’m more concerned he’ll get a better offer elsewhere.  In the ideal world, I’d offer Kerr a player/coach role, but wouldn’t be surprised if he goes back to Falkirk.  

McDaid flatters to deceive to such an extent that someone like Dunfermline might be daft enough to offer him a contract.  Feel sorry for Moore, but he hasn’t been the same player since that head injury.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t get the head injury excuse with Moore. He got it almost 3 years ago and still managed 27 goals last season albeit in League One.

My own feeling is that physically competing with defenders was a big part of his game.  His first touch was always poor but he had that niggly nuisance value about him.  A poor mans Kevin Davies...   That’s where the head injury came from at St Mirren.  He was nipping away  at Andy Webster who done him with a forearm smash to the back of the head.  For me, that side of his game has evaporated and we’re left with a very decent penalty box striker who contributes nothing to the general play.  Think it’s understandable to an extent - another serious head injury could finish him.  In rugby, it seems now that 2 bad concussions equals retirement.

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

tenor.gif

No chance we’d have won the league last season without him signing in January.   But then people who criticise Bell are often the same numpties that scapegoat Crawford whenever things aren’t going well.