The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Meathead said:

Far be it from me to take advantage of our much-vaunted railway provider's goodwill but, for the morally unscrupulous among you who are considering travelling to Inverness, it may be of interest to know that a weekly season ticket valid next weekend between, say, Dunfermline Town and Dunfermline QM, costing £11.40, entitles you and one other to free rail travel anywhere in Scotland on the 11th and 12th:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/we-are-sorry

Good guy.

Far be it from me to take advantage of our much-vaunted railway provider's goodwill but, for the morally unscrupulous among you who are considering travelling to Inverness, it may be of interest to know that a weekly season ticket valid next weekend between, say, Dunfermline Town and Dunfermline QM, costing £11.40, entitles you and one other to free rail travel anywhere in Scotland on the 11th and 12th:
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/we-are-sorry
Top bloke!!

I am guessing you can't book a seat on any train, if you don't need a ticket in the first place. Is that going to be a issue? I don't use trains much at the weekend.

Only on the booking site already some Edinburgh to Inverness trains are showing "limited availability".

12 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

I am guessing you can't book a seat on any train, if you don't need a ticket in the first place. Is that going to be a issue? I don't use trains much at the weekend.

Only on the booking site already some Edinburgh to Inverness trains are showing "limited availability".

That normally applies to the number of advance single tickets left available to purchase.

I'm trying to spot a catch here and can't find it. I can't believe you can just order a wee season ticket on the Fife line and be able to travel anywhere but that does seem to be what they're saying!

From the FAQS: "Customers don’t need to apply. Those on the qualifying routes just present their season ticket – valid at the time of travel – to gateline and on-train colleagues. If someone is accompanying you, they will not need a ticket to travel, but they do need to be with you at all times on the journey."

I think the only risk is that this assumes all Scotrail staff have been briefed in advance about this offer, so there may be a bit of hassle trying to get through the barriers at Queen St and Inverness armed only with a Dunfermline to Dunfermline weekly season ticket.

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

You need to have a railcard to accompany your weekly ticket.

You'd need either a Smartcard with the season ticket loaded on  or a photocard with a paper ticket I think.

I've got a monthly season ticket from Troon to Edinburgh (yes, mental I know) and I think I already qualify as the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Cumbernauld is one of the routes I can take.

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

You'd need either a Smartcard with the season ticket loaded on  or a photocard with a paper ticket I think.

I've got a monthly season ticket from Troon to Edinburgh (yes, mental I know) and I think I already qualify as the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Cumbernauld is one of the routes I can take.

Yeah, I’m not sure if the smartcard would arrive on time if you don’t have one already. Takes 5 working days.

Ayr Station could be a giggle on Saturday morning as bemused train staff have to deal with hundreds of Ayr fans with a weekly season for a one stop journey in Fife .

As could the train journey on the way up. Gutted I'll be missing the fun

It'll be tough replacing those three, but I don't think we're in that bad a position as a club for next season when it comes to recruiting Championship players. We've escaped the drama going on at most of the other clubs this season, and there'll be the usual managerial merry-go-round  going on at them.

Is there anyone at Falkirk or QOS worth plundering for next season?

It'll be tough replacing those three, but I don't think we're in that bad a position as a club for next season when it comes to recruiting Championship players. We've escaped the drama going on at most of the other clubs this season, and there'll be the usual managerial merry-go-round  going on at them.

From Falkirk? Dunno what Ian McShanes contract situation is but if available I’d take him. Zak Rudden was decent but it’s Rangers you’d be dealing with for him.

Andy Stirling and Michael Doyle would be decent signings from Queens.

However for any youngster released from Premiership clubs they’ve only got to look at Smith, Rose, Shankland to see what the future holds for anyone that comes here and works hard.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Wouldn’t mind Andy Stirling at QOS. Would also take Zak Rudden on loan from Rangers. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

From Falkirk? Dunno what Ian McShanes contract situation is but if available I’d take him. Zak Rudden was decent but it’s Rangers you’d be dealing with for him.

Andy Stirling and Michael Doyle would be decent signings from Queens.

However for any youngster released from Premiership clubs they’ve only got to look at Smith, Rose, Shankland to see what the future holds for anyone that comes here and works hard.

Checked the QOS facebook yesterday after news of the sacking and someone commented how they've only got one player signed up for next season, Dobbie I presume. Find that hard to believe, although I know a few have signed pre contracts

Checked the QOS facebook yesterday after news of the sacking and someone commented how they've only got one player signed up for next season, Dobbie I presume. Find that hard to believe, although I know a few have signed pre contracts

Aye Dobbie signed a few months back.

I think it is quite likely that he’s the only one signed up. They’ve only got around 16/17 first team players and I think it’s just 1 year contracts that they hand out in the summer.

I’d be interested to see what happens with Dobbie if they go down. He may fancy a year in League 1 to get his stats up but if he leaves then who’s the first Championship team up the road...

If Raith don't go up what about Kevin Nisbet?   Seems to tick a lot of the Shankland boxes - clearly got talent, attitude issues on loan, got a last crack at FT football in League 1 and has battered in the goals. 

On 21/04/2019 at 21:22, UpInTheAyr said:

Absolutely there's no such thing as consolidation in this league. Remember earlier in the season when Queen's were touted as the model Championship club, and then there's Falkirk.

As for replacing Shankland what about trying to get Rudden in on loan, he's looked decent from the little I've seen of him.

Queens rumoured to be going part time so a few of their players will move on.