The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I imagine the only person who isn't ecstatic about the run-in featuring a double-header against Thistle is McCall himself. That should suffice to see Ayr finish third.

Resting players who are imminently departing normally wouldn't make much sense, but the playoffs are the most important games the club's had in four decades. If anything can be done to restore Shankland's confidence then it should be tried.

Next Friday is a writeoff anyway.

I think we have to be careful about resting players. I'm all for rotation but momentum is key going into the playoffs.

Also, last seasons playoffs in the league below are a cautionary tale. If Alloa had rested their players for the play offs in the final game last season we might not have won the league. Arbroath did rest their players and got skelped in the play offs anyway. With Alloa entering the playoffs as the form team and winning them.

Not to mention we can have an effect on who is relegated by playing Thistle twice & Alloa. We should play our strongest team or rotate 3/4 players max in my view. 

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think we have to be careful about resting players. I'm all for rotation but momentum is key going into the playoffs.

Also, last seasons playoffs in the league below are a cautionary tale. If Alloa had rested their players for the play offs in the final game last season we might not have won the league. Arbroath did rest their players and got skelped in the play offs anyway. With Alloa entering the playoffs as the form team and winning them.

Not to mention we can have an effect on who is relegated by playing Thistle twice & Alloa. We should play our strongest team or rotate 3/4 players max in my view. 

All of this is fine in principle, but the problem is that several key players are currently underperforming to the point where they're due for getting dropped anyway. Getting their arses kicked on TV next Friday is not going to help build momentum.

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Last seasons play offs and the ones this season are somewhat different. Form is more likely to get you through last seasons variety. This time around they are loaded more towards the premiership team through having to play extra games. Tiredness plus availability of personnel will be crucial and need to be factored in 

This was earlier in the season when we were in form and playing well, so I'm not surprised you can't remember that far back.

We were in form?? I should’ve stopped to enjoy it instead of making premature promises that are only now coming back to haunt me.

Would finishing 4th mean a home game on the Saturday? I reckon that would maybe be the better scenario.

Finishing 4th will see us at Somerset mid week and up to ICT on the Saturday. The team further up the league always gets the home game on the Saturday.

17 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Finishing 4th will see us at Somerset mid week and up to ICT on the Saturday. The team further up the league always gets the home game on the Saturday.

The last two years we’ve not played on a Saturday in the playoffs at all.

It’s all been evening games and then a Sunday against Hamilton in the final. 

Not sure if the dates are set in stone or not but I was expecting evening games for the most part in the playoffs.

We were in form?? I should’ve stopped to enjoy it instead of making premature promises that are only now coming back to haunt me.
Looked it up and you're safe. It was in the event we won the league. Yeah, there was talk of that at one point.

52 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Are the play offs still on BT this year?, i would presume BBC ain't showing them, they can f**k off and shove their 1905 kick off where the sun doesn't shine if they are.

100%

With work I cant make a home game for 7:05. I can make it at 7:45 though. All so they don't move their show at 9. Absolute feckers!

9 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Agreed. All because of the bloody 9pm news slot! I hope we’re getting paid a wad for the inconvenience

Rumour is championship clubs are getting next to nothing for it but I‘ve not seen any concrete figures.