The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

By all accounts Smith has told Ian M that he will give his all for Ayr for the rest of the season. Has asked not to take a penalty if there is a penalty shootout against D Utd in the playoffs. 

That’s not good.

He’s been such a prolific penalty taker all season I’d have thought he’d be the first one to step up.

Can’t believe a number of the comments being made on here re Smith , he is one of our top players and a professional, questioning his integrity is sad , the guy knew before the last United game he was more than likely going to end up there and gave 100% that night , just look at Jones 12 miles up the road from us , signed a pre contract for Rangers and then the following week scored the winner against them , supporters who until today said he was one of players of the season then all of a sudden news breaks of him signing for DU and all of a sudden start saying he was not that great anyway , 

If I was Liam Smith I would be thoroughly annoyed that this news (or rumour, whatever it may prove to be) has been leaked to the press. Does nothing but unsettle the player and his current club and create issues for both.

This deal may well have  been decided in January but perhaps because both clubs are in the same division there was no statement from Ayr unlike with Michael Rose going down south.

I don't have a problem with Smith leaving to go to DUFC, or anyone else for that matter. We pretty much knew we only had him for one season. But this leak on the eve of an important match between the clubs is really, really poor form.

1 hour ago, Young Eddie said:

If I was Liam Smith I would be thoroughly annoyed that this news (or rumour, whatever it may prove to be) has been leaked to the press. Does nothing but unsettle the player and his current club and create issues for both.

This deal may well have  been decided in January but perhaps because both clubs are in the same division there was no statement from Ayr unlike with Michael Rose going down south.

I don't have a problem with Smith leaving to go to DUFC, or anyone else for that matter. We pretty much knew we only had him for one season. But this leak on the eve of an important match between the clubs is really, really poor form.

They're shit and desperate.

4 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Can’t believe a number of the comments being made on here re Smith , he is one of our top players and a professional, questioning his integrity is sad , the guy knew before the last United game he was more than likely going to end up there and gave 100% that night , just look at Jones 12 miles up the road from us , signed a pre contract for Rangers and then the following week scored the winner against them , supporters who until today said he was one of players of the season then all of a sudden news breaks of him signing for DU and all of a sudden start saying he was not that great anyway , 

The Jones example isn't the same thing at all. No matter what he does against Rangers this season they'll be in the premiership next year. Smith could potentially be in a position to influence what division the team he's playing for next season will be in. It's crazy to think that wouldn't cross his mind.

The Jones example isn't the same thing at all. No matter what he does against Rangers this season they'll be in the premiership next year. Smith could potentially be in a position to influence what division the team he's playing for next season will be in. It's crazy to think that wouldn't cross his mind.

It’s incredibly unlikely that he’s going to be an influence over what division us or Dundee Utd will be in next season. No more than any other player.

Also during a match when split second decisions are being made I doubt playing for Dundee United is going to be the first thing that’ll pop into his head.

6 hours ago, Iain said:

So what you are saying is that Smith has no integrity and potentially could influence the result in DU ???? that’s a poor reflection on a professional who has given his all for the club this season 

Edited by Robbo63

If you ask Smith what league he wants to play in next year, there’s no chance he’s saying the Championship. That there gives you the answer as to whether he plays or not IMO.

I understand to an extent but think that’s far too simplistic.

Rangers (and Killie) were genuine title contenders heading into that match in January. The winner that he scored damaged his own chances of playing in the Champions League next season.

If you ask Smith what league he wants to play in next year, there’s no chance he’s saying the Championship. That there gives you the answer as to whether he plays or not IMO.

Well then he should’ve signed for a team that are guaranteed to be playing in the Premiership next season.

He’ll play and he’ll be absolutely fine.