The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Timing suspicious and nothing official.  In any case pre-contracts are not legally enforceable so Liam can still go where he wishes depending on how the season and play-offs finish. 

If true and should Ayr United go up, a long shot I know, it would be interesting to see what happens but realistically unless that happens he is offski for sure. Pretty sure he could do a lot better than going to Dundee Utd though...

This makes playing Smith for the rest of the season a tough call for McCall. What possible reason could he have for wanting Ayr to go up rather than the team he'll be playing for next season? No matter how honest a player, it just makes no sense for him to see his current team promoted at the expense of his next team. Big judgment call. Geggan could fill the spot adequately on a short term basis. The manager will need to be 100% certain he's getting Smith's best effort to put him back out there.

21 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Timing suspicious and nothing official.  In any case pre-contracts are not legally enforceable so Liam can still go where he wishes depending on how the season and play-offs finish. 

If true and should Ayr United go up, a long shot I know, it would be interesting to see what happens but realistically unless that happens he is offski for sure. Pretty sure he could do a lot better than going to Dundee Utd though...

Sure, in the same way that your employment contract isn't enforceable.

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

This makes playing Smith for the rest of the season a tough call for McCall. What possible reason could he have for wanting Ayr to go up rather than the team he'll be playing for next season? No matter how honest a player, it just makes no sense for him to see his current team promoted at the expense of his next team. Big judgment call. Geggan could fill the spot adequately on a short term basis. The manager will need to be 100% certain he's getting Smith's best effort to put him back out there.

This nonsense is exactly what the Arabs are trying to sow. IF - and it is a big if - he's signed a pre-contract it would probably have been done back in January when all the rumours were swirling and not now at the time of this (at best) deliberately timed leak.

Liam has been, and is continuing to, do fine. Just ignore all this stuff and play the lad. The pre-contract is totally meaningless - literally as he can sign for whoever he likes when the season is done and dusted and Dundee Utd can do absolutely squat about it.

Move on. Non-story.    

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sure, in the same way that your employment contract isn't enforceable.

WTF? I don't think you know the meaning of a contract. Employment contracts are enforceable you moron. Pre-contracts (the clue is in the title) are not.

I negotiate contracts for a living. 

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

Like who exactly? Diddys like St Johnstone, Killie or Motherwell? St Mirren or Hamilton?Just sounds like a bit of bitterness imo.

Just now, Yid_in_Exiile said:

FTK? I don't think you know the meaning of a contract. Employment contracts are enforceable you moron. Pre-contracts (the clue is in the title) are not.

I negotiate contracts for a living. 

:lol: Not a fan of irony, I presume. 

Are you a lawyer too?

If it is true then it was done a while ago. Quite cute though that Dundee United are that feart they’ve decided to go all Malcolm Tucker on us and leak it right before they play us and not long before the play-offs.

They must be shiting it.

Like who exactly? Diddys like St Johnstone, Killie or Motherwell? St Mirren or Hamilton?Just sounds like a bit of bitterness imo.

All Diddy teams that are in the league above you... What does that call your club then, the ultimate Diddy club?

I understand contract law just fine thanks. Okay - let's just keep this factual then.

The enforceability of a pre-contract will depend on the specific terms of the agreement. Pre-contracts are generally not binding under English law as they are usually marked ‘Subject to Contract’ and are simply a commitment by the parties to enter into a later contract. The difference between a pre-contract and a contract is that the parties to the pre-contract have not agreed the essential terms and so the pre-contract does not reflect the final agreement. However, if a pre-contract contains all the essential terms that have been agreed, then the pre-contract is effectively a final contract and is likely to be binding.

To sum up - only if the Pre-Contact is effectively a Contract with all the terms and considerations agreed with just the inception date deferred then, just like other contracts, is is enforceable.

If it is just a commitment to contract it's not.