The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Reckon we could have a chance of Devlin back for next season if Walsall got relegated, pretty sure his contract is up at the end of the season but seems pretty settled down there so probably a long shot.

Wouldn’t be desperate to have him back tbh.

37 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Reckon we could have a chance of Devlin back for next season if Walsall got relegated, pretty sure his contract is up at the end of the season but seems pretty settled down there so probably a long shot.

Devlin may well get a move to a bigger team in England or even our own top league. Can’t really see the scottish championship being much of a draw for him at this stage 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Devlin may well get a move to a bigger team in England or even our own top league. Can’t really see the scottish championship being much of a draw for him at this stage 

I loved Devlin as much as I've loved anybody but Liam Smith is better IMO.

6 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

I loved Devlin as much as I've loved anybody but Liam Smith is better IMO.

Easy to say when he’s a current player and for the most part played in a winning team. It’s also difficult for defenders to look good when playing for a bottom of the league team conceding goals. I remember a few on here saying Rose is far better than McKenna and he hardly got a game that season. Will be interesting to see who ultimately goes further in the game between Smith and Devlin. Would need to see Smith play in a quicker league before I’d call it 

3 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Easy to say when he’s a current player and for the most part played in a winning team. It’s also difficult for defenders to look good when playing for a bottom of the league team conceding goals. I remember a few on here saying Rose is far better than McKenna and he hardly got a game that season. Will be interesting to see who ultimately goes further in the game between Smith and Devlin. Would need to see Smith play in a quicker league before I’d call it 

One thing I will say in Devlin's favour while playing in a poor team is that often he was the only one playing with any urgency or sense of the situation we were in and needing to win games. The other players didn't seem to care that much.

Even calling Devlin a defender is a stretch. He’s a wingback with very little positional sense and was caught out numerous times with us.

But folk like him cause he makes slide tackles and is passionate.

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Even calling Devlin a defender is a stretch. He’s a wingback with very little positional sense and was caught out numerous times with us.

But folk like him cause he makes slide tackles and is passionate.

Money talks and I’m sure the people down south can spot a player much better than you or I. Good to see someone from Ayr kicking on and playing at a much better level. Puts the hype around Robbie Crawford into perspective whilst we wait for him to put a string of performances together 

Money talks and I’m sure the people down south can spot a player much better than you or I. Good to see someone from Ayr kicking on and playing at a much better level. Puts the hype around Robbie Crawford into perspective whilst we wait for him to put a string of performances together 

He’s got all the attributes a scout for a club in that league looks for these days. He’s very quick, he’s powerful and he can put himself about. In terms of passing, crossing, tackling and all round defending Smith is far better than Devlin ever was for us. He may have improved but in the games I’ve caught Walsall on the tele he’s not been that great.

Declin v Smith not much in it both like to attack but get caught out defensively often. The boy Smith final ball in to the box will have to really improve gets in to great positions I counted three times on Sat alone and couldn’t pick out a player and that’s why Hearts let him go.

Would take Devlin back in a heart beat but that won’t happen, spoken to his dad a few times he still comes now and then and I asked him who was he going to go to if not Walsall and he said Jack Ross at  Stmirren, so watch this space for Sunderland.

44 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Declin v Smith not much in it both like to attack but get caught out defensively often. The boy Smith final ball in to the box will have to really improve gets in to great positions I counted three times on Sat alone and couldn’t pick out a player and that’s why Hearts let him go.

Would take Devlin back in a heart beat but that won’t happen, spoken to his dad a few times he still comes now and then and I asked him who was he going to go to if not Walsall and he said Jack Ross at  Stmirren, so watch this space for Sunderland.

Will he be out of conrtact for next season?

I agree smith goes on good runs but his final ball isn’t good enough

10 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

What would far higher reflect in terms of club he would join?

SPL or English Championship.

No offence, but moving to another Championship club after being rated the best / one of the best full backs in the division 2 years in a row, would not be in any way advancing his career imho.

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Higgins and Muirhead were hardly best buddies. I reckon it would have to be something major for a club not to sign a player because another one didn't like him.

Goal B is the best FWIW. It's not even up for debate.

Well I wouldn't even have Goal B in the top 3. It's an opportunistic strike, very well executed, but there's nothing clever about it. I'd have Moffat's goal against Dundee United as the best and Shankland's goals at Dundee United and at Ross County as the next best. I'd probably go F, I, G in that order. The one touch passing and control from three players in the build up to the Moffat goal is outstanding.

I'm not conscious there was any particular issue between Higgins and Muirhead notwithstanding one very high profile incident. They won't be the first or last players to square up in the heat of the moment on the pitch. I think it was forgotten about after the final whistle to be honest.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Its funny how short a memory some people have after United having a couple of bad seasons. What happens when we get back this season or next?

I would say we comfortably fit in to being a top six outfit in Scottish football and we are performing well below our usual levels atm.

He’s signed a pre contract anyway and he is making a big step up moving from Ayr United to DUFC.

Its funny how short a memory some people have after United having a couple of bad seasons. What happens when we get back this season or next?

I would say we comfortably fit in to being a top six outfit in Scottish football and we are performing well below our usual levels atm.

He’s signed a pre contract anyway and he is making a big step up moving from Ayr United to DUFC.

Usual levels are irrelevant imo especially as it’s entirely possible Dundee Utd could be down here for another 2 or 3 seasons.

Ayr would’ve announced if he’s signed a pre-contract like they did for Michael Rose so as far as I’m concerned he’s not made his decision yet.

12 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

A couple of bad seasons is an understatement. Past glories count for nothing.

For a potential top 6 team in the country its strange to have been stuck in the championship for 3 seasons. You are currently 14th and your usual level over the past few years has been 15th, so you're actually doing better this year.

A big step up to a side two places ahead in the table, that we have comfortably beaten 3 times this season.

Edited by Honest_Ally

Well I wouldn't even have Goal B in the top 3. It's an opportunistic strike, very well executed, but there's nothing clever about it. I'd have Moffat's goal against Dundee United as the best and Shankland's goals at Dundee United and at Ross County as the next best. I'd probably go F, I, G in that order. The one touch passing and control from three players in the build up to the Moffat goal is outstanding.
I'm not conscious there was any particular issue between Higgins and Muirhead notwithstanding one very high profile incident. They won't be the first or last players to square up in the heat of the moment on the pitch. I think it was forgotten about after the final whistle to be honest.

I can’t not nominate Goal B simply because I was astounded he even scored it but I get what you’re saying that there’s a few things going in his favour for for him to score it.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said about the other nominations though.