The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Now rock bottom of the form table. We really have made s raging c**t of what could have been a memorable season.
And sadly it’s probably as good as it’s going to be for a while. We’ll lose half the team and likely go back to scarting our arse clear of relegation at best. [emoji853]

Now rock bottom of the form table. We really have made s raging c**t of what could have been a memorable season.
And sadly it’s probably as good as it’s going to be for a while. We’ll lose half the team and likely go back to scarting our arse clear of relegation at best. [emoji853]

Given we are still in the play offs we have hardly made a “raging c**t” of it. A play off position will mean a fantastic season.

52 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Given we are still in the play offs we have hardly made a “raging c**t” of it. A play off position will mean a fantastic season.

A good season maybe but not fantastic. We've been put out the cup by a junior mob *shudder* and downed tools for 4 months. Thats not fantastic.

Finishing 4th is good but the manner of it means its not fantastic, context is everything.

A good season maybe but not fantastic. We've been put out the cup by a junior mob *shudder* and downed tools for 4 months. Thats not fantastic.
Finishing 4th is good but the manner of it means its not fantastic, context is everything.

We haven’t downed tools at all. We’ve just not been very good.

Whatever way you want to look at it finishing in the play offs is a great season especially after the last few years.

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We haven’t downed tools at all. We’ve just not been very good.

Whatever way you want to look at it finishing in the play offs is a great season especially after the last few years.

I disagree, incurring the worst result in our history (I'm paraphrasing the club historian there) and finishing 4th makes it a good season (nothing more).

However, winning promotion would make it fantastic season and we have an outside chance of it. 

I see the reserves are 5-0 up after 30 minutes. McCowan and Hilton scoring for fun, maybe worth a look on Tuesday with fixtures piling up? Probably not happen under McCall, but we need to start giving these guys a chance to prove themselves.

Goals from today's reserve game. It finished 8-0.

It’s only a reserve match I know but some impressive play from the lads there.

Hilton, Murphy, McCowan and number 7 (McGlaughlin??) all standing out. If we’ve nothing to play for in the last couple games I’d play them. McCalls already said we’ll likely run a younger squad next season so I’d imagine they’ll play a bigger part.

This is miles too harsh.

We massively overachieved in the first 15-20 games. Then we got worked out and it's been a struggle.

Last summer you'd surely have said avoiding relegation would be a good season? For me that makes a playoff spot fantastic (even if it has come after a shitey few months).

Promotion was unthinkable in the summer. That's way beyond a 'fantastic' season; and actually would probably go down as the greatest in the club's history.

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hilton, Murphy, McCowan and number 7 (McGlaughlin??) all standing out. If we’ve nothing to play for in the last couple games I’d play them. McCalls already said we’ll likely run a younger squad next season so I’d imagine they’ll play a bigger part.

Yeah 7 is Kieran McLaughlin, great player. As it was 8-0 there wasn't much of the centre half Nathan Baird. A real prospect imo.

39 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This is miles too harsh.

We massively overachieved in the first 15-20 games. Then we got worked out and it's been a struggle.

Last summer you'd surely have said avoiding relegation would be a good season? For me that makes a playoff spot fantastic (even if it has come after a shitey few months).

Promotion was unthinkable in the summer. That's way beyond a 'fantastic' season; and actually would probably go down as the greatest in the club's history.

Its not harsh at all, a good season means we have exceeded expectations at the outset which we will. I agree that a satisfactory season would have been finishing 8th. 

I agree that getting promoted would be historic but not sure it would be greatest season ever!

46 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Where has this been said? That basically translates to there will be budget cuts which is a massive worry. 

Where has this been said? That basically translates to there will be budget cuts which is a massive worry. 

He either said after one of the matches or on Off the Ball I can’t quite remember. I don’t think it’s so much as budget cuts but more we’ll try and become more self sufficient through using younger players like Ferguson, McGuffie, Forrest and academy players coupled with a group of experienced pros. We’ve obviously got a group of players signed up for next season anyway but I’d expect McCowan and Hilton etc to get more of a chance.

I’m all for it if it’s done right and the younger players are of sufficient quality and they’ve got the right experience around them but it’ll likely be turbulent to start off with and will require patience and time. In the long run though it could set us up for years.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He either said after one of the matches or on Off the Ball I can’t quite remember. I don’t think it’s so much as budget cuts but more we’ll try and become more self sufficient through using younger players like Ferguson, McGuffie, Forrest and academy players coupled with a group of experienced pros. We’ve obviously got a group of players signed up for next season anyway but I’d expect McCowan and Hilton etc to get more of a chance.

I’m all for it if it’s done right and the younger players are of sufficient quality and they’ve got the right experience around them but it’ll likely be turbulent to start off with and will require patience and time. In the long run though it could set us up for years.

Out of the players signed up the only ones I’d be happy to see starting the majority of league games are Murdoch, Harvie and possibly Muirhead. I’d hope the rest were back ups. 

it’ll likely be turbulent to start off with and will require patience and time.

Understatement of the season

In the long run though it could set us up for years.

In the short term it could also send us back  to where we were four years ago.

How much “younger” are we talking? Out of the starting 11 on Saturday only Bell (34), Geggan (31), Docherty (26) and Murdoch (24) are above the age of 23.

I’m struggling to see any issue with how young the squad is at the moment.

Out of the players signed up the only ones I’d be happy to see starting the majority of league games are Murdoch, Harvie and possibly Muirhead. I’d hope the rest were back ups. 

Agreed however I’d expect Ferguson to start off as our first choice right back next season. Docherty is unlikely to play every game but I’m happy for him to be a squad player.
In the short term it could also send us back  to where we were four years ago.

Yes this is the risk. However bar a miracle we’re probably going to be fighting down the bottom of the table next season so there’s always a risk of us going back to where we came from. If this is how the club chooses to progress they are at least planning for the future for the first time in years.
How much “younger” are we talking? Out of the starting 11 on Saturday only Bell (34), Geggan (31), Docherty (26) and Murdoch (24) are above the age of 23.
I’m struggling to see any issue with how young the squad is at the moment.

And of the rest only Harvie is signed up for next season.

It’s nothing to do with having a younger squad though it’s probably more to do with spending within our means and not relying on Cameron. If the club can get a few of the youngsters on longer deals and bring in other players then they can potentially have sellable assets in a year or two.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Agreed however I’d expect Ferguson to start off as our first choice right back next season. Docherty is unlikely to play every game but I’m happy for him to be a squad player.

Yes this is the risk. However bar a miracle we’re probably going to be fighting down the bottom of the table next season so there’s always a risk of us going back to where we came from. If this is how the club chooses to progress they are at least planning for the future for the first time in years.

And of the rest only Harvie is signed up for next season.

It’s nothing to do with having a younger squad though it’s probably more to do with spending within our means and not relying on Cameron. If the club can get a few of the youngsters on longer deals and bring in other players then they can potentially have sellable assets in a year or two.

Is merely surviving  in this league the height of our ambition? Very sad 

Let’s presume Ross County and Dundee United go up with Dundee and St Mirren/Hamilton coming down the league will be weaker. Top 4 should be the target.