The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

All 3 January signings haven't started last two games. Seems pretty pointless bringing them in the first place.

I’d imagine they’ll need to be a lot of rotation this month. They’ll get their chance.

Last night was a strange one, I thought Morton started better, however once we scored the penalty we were in complete control for the rest of the half without looking at anywhere near our best.

However, the 2nd half was a shocking display.

The players looked as if they had no energy or interest and also no gameplan, we stood off Morton and just let Chris Millar completely run the game while we floundered around. Morton thoroughly deserved their equaliser and possibly deserved a winner, but that being said when we did decide to start playing (in the final 5 mins), Shankland was really unlucky to hit the post and Forrest had a couple of excellent goalbound strikes diverted for corners, so I suppose on another night we could have still taken all 3 points, but all in all it actually ended up being a good point from the play offs perspective given Inverness were beaten.

Despite all the grief he's getting, I actually thought Robbie was one of our best performers in the 1st half but drifted right out in the 2nd. Smith & Doohan were really the only two who stood out as having good games with the rest all being pretty poor or not involved. Forrest making his comeback was a huge positive and he did have a couple of cameo runs where he looked really good. I'd also agree with a previous poster on Shankland as he just doesn't look the same player that he was prior to his injury, but that being said, he's still decent for our level even when playing badly !!

Anyway, most of us would have taken 4 points from Dunfermline away and Morton at home if offered, so we just need to pick ourselves up for the Inverness game on Saturday as the pressure is still all on them.

Apart from that, we're now 7 points clear of Dunfermline with a game in hand, so I'd really be shocked if we failed to make the play offs from this position, so although last night was far from ideal, I'm certainly not going to get all depressed about it and start looking for scapegoats.............

See there's a club vote on whether to expul Coventry from the league later this month. Bit strange Rose would commit to them at this stage with their troubles. Although prob won't come to anything

I did think that but I’d imagine he would’ve been given assurances by the club that there was no danger.

Either that or there’s an option in his contract to not join if they get expelled from the league.

26 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

About robbie Crawford yesterday, I thought in the first half we was quite good, but was awful in the second. Honestly though he is not good enough to play week in week out for us.

I suppose it all depends on where we see ourselves and also a reality check on budgets.

Personally I don't think we could improve much, if at all, on the quality of our current playing squad without some very heavy investment which realistically we're just not going to have.

15 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

If Ayr finished 5th this season, would there be massive disappointment over "what could have been" or pleasure at what, I think, has been the best campaign(at least in terms of league position) in almost 20 years? 

At the start of the season I and I think every other Ayr fan would have bitten your hand off for 8th or above. 

That being said given that us, Dundee United and Ross county has been a good bit ahead of everyone else for the vast majority of the season I’ll be fuming if we miss out on the playoffs- I don’t think we will now though buts it’s whether we can go into them on good form. 

4 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Absolute nonsense. 

Pre-season aims exceeded = a successful season.  It will be a bit disappointing but the League is a marathon not a sprint, being a contender means absolutely nothing. Clubs with bigger budgets generally, on average, will outperform those with thinner weaker squads. 

If we do indeed have the second smallest budget in the Division the Ayr finishing top half is outperforming.  They key will be if we can stay competitive in this League for a few years now in a row - that is more important to this Club's long term future than the outside chance of double promotion. That's not saying we shouldn't aspire to compete at the top of the Championship and go up, but we need to build firm foundations over being a flash in the pan. 

Giving our squad id be very surprised if we had the 2nd lowest budget.  I reckon we’ll have a bigger budget than Alloa, QOTS and maybe Morton. 

Giving our squad id be very surprised if we had the 2nd lowest budget.  I reckon we’ll have a bigger budget than Alloa, QOTS and maybe Morton. 

We’ll have a bigger budget than Alloa definitely and maybe on a par with Queens but not Morton.

I’ve no idea how much we’re paying players but I think it’ll be much lower than some people expect.

In regards to expectations I’ll be delighted with any play off position and given McCall himself has said any lower would be a failure it’s not unreasonable for Ayr fans to be annoyed if we don’t make top 4. However I think with last weeks win over Dunfermline coupled with winning another 2 wins will see us safely in the top 4.

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ll have a bigger budget than Alloa definitely and maybe on a par with Queens but not Morton.

I’ve no idea how much we’re paying players but I think it’ll be much lower than some people expect.

In regards to expectations I’ll be delighted with any play off position and given McCall himself has said any lower would be a failure it’s not unreasonable for Ayr fans to be annoyed if we don’t make top 4. However I think with last weeks win over Dunfermline coupled with winning another 2 wins will see us safely in the top 4.

I’m led to believe that our playing budget was £500,000 or thereabouts this season

14 hours ago, ecocme said:

I’m led to believe that our playing budget was £500,000 or thereabouts this season

During the Dunfermline match last week, the commentator was harping on about how remarkable Ayr's season had been due to them having the 2nd lowest playing budget in the league, with only Part-time Alloa being lower, however he may just have read that in the Sun or something ??

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

During the Dunfermline match last week, the commentator was harping on about how remarkable Ayr's season had been due to them having the 2nd lowest playing budget in the league, with only Part-time Alloa being lower, however he may just have read that in the Sun or something ??

To be fair I have no idea how that compares to others in the championship it was just what I was told our wage bill is this season. 

Only a select few will actually know the details but it will certainly be bigger than Alloa’s anyway.

It’s hard to know with Queens. Their overall squad doesn’t scream out big spenders by any stretch but the small fortune they’re allegedly paying Dobbie has to be factored in. I’d guess that Morton’s is a bit bigger.

It’s all just fun speculation though so I could be way off here.

Has Moff been signed up for next season ??

Just having another look at the prize money payouts and it looks like we'll be bringing in at least £100k more than must have been budgeted for at the start of the season.

I'd also expect we've gained more from our League cup run than was expected, not to mention the gates being slightly up (although our recent Friday nights haven't helped that).

Championship
1st - £533,000 (2.25%)
2nd - £450,000 (1.9%)
3rd - £379,000 (1.6%)
4th - £308,000 (1.3%)
5th - £237,000 (1.0%)
6th - £213,000 (0.9%)
7th - £201,000 (0.85%)
8th - £190,000 (0.80%)
9th - £178,000 (0.75%)
10th - £166,000 (0.7%)

Edited by WATTOO

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not as far as I’m aware. He signed a 2 year deal when he joined but hasn’t signed anything since.

In other news the POTY voting is now open: https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/player-of-the-year-voting-2/

Im sure he will be offered at least a one year extension.

I went for Shankland for player of the year and Doohan young player. 

2 minutes ago, Honest_Ally said:

Hopefully the sooner the better, just to get it all secured early and out the way, not to mention giving the fans a boost, similar to the Murdoch news last week.

Hard to argue with your selections with Liam Smith being the other standout.

35 minutes ago, Honest_Ally said:

Agree re: Moff and I voted the exact same