The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Best derby in Scotland. Who cares about the old firm .

Absolutely. I mean from a purely neutrals perspective (...) it would be good if Kilmarnock could decide to bloody well just win at Somerset for once. It's a strange situation to be watching your games and hoping for an Ayr win, but for the greater good and all that.

Football eh?

We go from 'odds on to finish outside the playoffs' to 'back in the title hunt' in the space of one game.

The title is gone, unless we win pretty much every game - and that's just not happening.

Let's get the playoff secured asap and then we can have a strategy for the last few games. This could involve going hard for second (unlikely, but you never know), or resting key players in certain matches in anticipation of the first tie.

The goal right now should be to secure a playoff place before the last couple of games.

19 minutes ago, BoydiesBelly said:

Absolutely. I mean from a purely neutrals perspective (...) it would be good if Kilmarnock could decide to bloody well just win at Somerset for once. It's a strange situation to be watching your games and hoping for an Ayr win, but for the greater good and all that.

When was the last time ??

Just looked at the fixtures and predicted points and I reckon the Ross County game at Somerset will be the one where they can mathematically win the league.

As said above though we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves. We need to get away from Inverness and Dunfermline before we turn our attention towards Dundee Utd.

Nobody has actually mentioned this, however I thought the playing surface at EEP was excellent on Friday and completely played into our hands as regards being able to play the ball on the deck.

I'm just hoping that the recent good weather and the fact we haven't played at Somerset for about a month has made a big difference to our playing surface, as it's gone from one of the best in the country to a ploughed field in the last year or so and certainly hasn't being helping us, that's for sure.........

Nobody has actually mentioned this, however I thought the playing surface at EEP was excellent on Friday and completely played into our hands as regards being able to play the ball on the deck.
I'm just hoping that the recent good weather and the fact we haven't played at Somerset for about a month has made a big difference to our playing surface, as it's gone from one of the best in the country to a ploughed field in the last year or so and certainly hasn't being helping us, that's for sure.........
Agree completely

6 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Pretty much since Davie Harkness retiered our turf hasn't been the same, i know it's always had a problem with the snow, but it used to take the rain so much better than now.

10 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Pretty much since Davie Harkness retiered our turf hasn't been the same, i know it's always had a problem with the snow, but it used to take the rain so much better than now.

Yes, I was thinking that myself.

I've also noticed the grass seems to be longer and thicker (moss?) but it certainly isn't anything like it used to be.

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Was it not a run of 'sand covered' games that set it back some time ago?

I remember it being like the low green for a few games, can't remember how long ago, might be 10+ years

Bill Barr era, looked good this morning, no excuses for tonight's game 

30 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye I was leaning towards that outcome also however if we drop points then I Hope ICT also lose. 

Yeah I think if we win, then we have to probably still hope (despite how unlikely it is) that County slip up tonight and again on Friday. As you say if we drop points then league is done anyway so we’d prefer County smashing them in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah I think if we win, then we have to probably still hope (despite how unlikely it is) that County slip up tonight and again on Friday. As you say if we drop points then league is done anyway so we’d prefer County smashing them in that scenario.

Agreed, need to win these three upcoming home games and see where we are after that. 

Fucking diabolical across the board tonight, nobody with pass marks.

I’m just gonna come out with it, but this obsession of McCall to shoehorn Crawford into the side no matter what is slowly killing our season. He needs benching.

He’s spent the majority of the season out of position on the left hand side instead of that slot being filled by a natural left sided player. He offered little going forward and even less defensively. At this moment in time I’d start McDaid(who limped off tonight), Miller & Forrest ahead of Crawford on the left.

Recently he’s spent time in the middle often at the expense of Andy Murdoch moving to the right, that’s a fucking disgraceful decision. Murdoch should be the second name on the team sheet , after Shankland, every week in the middle of the park!!! Crawford doesn’t tackle as well as Murdoch, or anticipate, or cover as much ground, or make as much of a nuisance of himself. With Crawford in the middle and Murdoch out wide, the side are at a huge disadvantage as soon as the game starts.

That midfield pairing is crucial for me, and given early season form it has to be Kerr & Murdoch. Murdoch cleans up the dirty stuff that Kerr can’t do & Kerr keeps the ball moving when maybe Murdoch couldn’t. They compliment each other perfectly. Docherty is a natural replacement for Murdoch not Crawford as we saw tonight.

Thought Forrest looked a couple of weeks off proper match fitness tonight. Disappointed Miller didn’t get a chance. I’d have been braver with the Moore substitution and left Moffat on whilst sacrificing somewhere else to bring on Moore. Moffat would have loved having 2 strikers to play off.

In my mind, the keeper & full backs pick themselves. Take your pick of Rose & one other for the centre halves. Murdoch & Kerr in the middle. McDaid/Miller/Forrest on the left & the unlikely Andy Geggan on the right, even though I thought it strange at the time it seemed to work. The front two of Moff & Shankland.

This shoehorning of players & playing others out of position needs a rest, otherwise this season just fizzles out, tonight was brutal.

4 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Fucking diabolical across the board tonight, nobody with pass marks.

I’m just gonna come out with it, but this obsession of McCall to shoehorn Crawford into the side no matter what is slowly killing our season. He needs benching.

He’s spent the majority of the season out of position on the left hand side instead of that slot being filled by a natural left sided player. He offered little going forward and even less defensively. At this moment in time I’d start McDaid(who limped off tonight), Miller & Forrest ahead of Crawford on the left.

Recently he’s spent time in the middle often at the expense of Andy Murdoch moving to the right, that’s a fucking disgraceful decision. Murdoch should be the second name on the team sheet , after Shankland, every week in the middle of the park!!! Crawford doesn’t tackle as well as Murdoch, or anticipate, or cover as much ground, or make as much of a nuisance of himself. With Crawford in the middle and Murdoch out wide, the side are at a huge disadvantage as soon as the game starts.

That midfield pairing is crucial for me, and given early season form it has to be Kerr & Murdoch. Murdoch cleans up the dirty stuff that Kerr can’t do & Kerr keeps the ball moving when maybe Murdoch couldn’t. They compliment each other perfectly. Docherty is a natural replacement for Murdoch not Crawford as we saw tonight.

Thought Forrest looked a couple of weeks off proper match fitness tonight. Disappointed Miller didn’t get a chance. I’d have been braver with the Moore substitution and left Moffat on whilst sacrificing somewhere else to bring on Moore. Moffat would have loved having 2 strikers to play off.

In my mind, the keeper & full backs pick themselves. Take your pick of Rose & one other for the centre halves. Murdoch & Kerr in the middle. McDaid/Miller/Forrest on the left & the unlikely Andy Geggan on the right, even though I thought it strange at the time it seemed to work. The front two of Moff & Shankland.

This shoehorning of players & playing others out of position needs a rest, otherwise this season just fizzles out, tonight was brutal.

If you want to bash Crawford at least do it after he's had a bad game like everyone else.