The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Given we now have a full fit squad (bar maybe Adams) it’ll be interesting to see what two first teamers miss out on the match day 18. I reckon it will/should be Adams and Cadden which is a bit of a minter for Cadden who’s came from sitting on Livis bench to not getting in our squad. 

Given we now have a full fit squad (bar maybe Adams) it’ll be interesting to see what two first teamers miss out on the match day 18. I reckon it will/should be Adams and Cadden which is a bit of a minter for Cadden who’s came from sitting on Livis bench to not getting in our squad. 

Cadden is pretty much our McGuffie right now. We needed someone to sit on our bench whilst McGuffie was away but it’s pretty pointless when McGuffie isn’t even getting a start at Raith.

That’s down to 1 of 3 things. He’s not training well enough, he’s not doing enough when he comes on or McGlynn just doesn’t rate him. Now considering McCall and other players have said how brilliant he is in training (McGlynn did as well) I doubt it’s that. Raith fans haven’t been particularly impressed with him so maybe he’s just not doing enough in games when he comes on.

It’s annoying though as this was supposed to be his 6 months or so to play every week ahead of him coming back and forcing his way into our team. On the bright side Ferguson is getting rave reviews at Dumbarton and I believe he’s being played at centre back more regularly.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Cadden is pretty much our McGuffie right now. We needed someone to sit on our bench whilst McGuffie was away but it’s pretty pointless when McGuffie isn’t even getting a start at Raith.

That’s down to 1 of 3 things. He’s not training well enough, he’s not doing enough when he comes on or McGlynn just doesn’t rate him. Now considering McCall and other players have said how brilliant he is in training (McGlynn did as well) I doubt it’s that. Raith fans haven’t been particularly impressed with him so maybe he’s just not doing enough in games when he comes on.

It’s annoying though as this was supposed to be his 6 months or so to play every week ahead of him coming back and forcing his way into our team. On the bright side Ferguson is getting rave reviews at Dumbarton and I believe he’s being played at centre back more regularly.

Raith were probably the worst team in League 1 for McGuffie to go on loan to. At the time he signed they already had Flanagan, Dingwall, Vaughan, Duggan, Buchanan and Nisbet competing for the positions he could feasibly occupy, and they've subsequently added Barjonas and Gullan as well. It was pretty apparent before he left that what he really needed was a consistent run of games - to know he could have a bad game and not worry about being dropped for the next one - but he was never going to get that in a team with that much competition for places - particularly one that's trying to claw back a huge deficit at the top of the league.

I don't know if McCall thought Raith would see McGuffie as a direct replacement for Armstrong but it was extremely naive if he did. He really could have done with joining a team like East Fife, Montrose or Airdrie; one without an abundance of creative players already and who, aside from competing for the final playoff spot, are largely content with mid-table. Granted I'm on the outside looking in but I don't think it'd be fair to blame McGuffie for what will likely prove to be a waste of a loan spell.

Ferguson played at centre half at first for Dumbarton but he's been playing right back pretty consistently for a while now.

Someone saying on the SRE page that there's been an application put into the council for 210 homes to be built around Somerset and at the old railway yard which has been just demolished. Bit concerning as the application shows to take over car park aswell, I fear another incoming run in with the council brewing!FB_IMG_1553869414094.jpg

Raith were probably the worst team in League 1 for McGuffie to go on loan to. At the time he signed they already had Flanagan, Dingwall, Vaughan, Duggan, Buchanan and Nisbet competing for the positions he could feasibly occupy, and they've subsequently added Barjonas and Gullan as well. It was pretty apparent before he left that what he really needed was a consistent run of games - to know he could have a bad game and not worry about being dropped for the next one - but he was never going to get that in a team with that much competition for places - particularly one that's trying to claw back a huge deficit at the top of the league.
I don't know if McCall thought Raith would see McGuffie as a direct replacement for Armstrong but it was extremely naive if he did. He really could have done with joining a team like East Fife, Montrose or Airdrie; one without an abundance of creative players already and who, aside from competing for the final playoff spot, are largely content with mid-table. Granted I'm on the outside looking in but I don't think it'd be fair to blame McGuffie for what will likely prove to be a waste of a loan spell.
Ferguson played at centre half at first for Dumbarton but he's been playing right back pretty consistently for a while now.

I’m pretty sure Vaughan was injured when he signed and is now out for the season and I wouldn’t say that McGuffie should ever be deployed as a striker.

I do think though that he should’ve been sent somewhere where it was guaranteed he got playing time but it doesn’t say much when he can’t get a start for Raith Rovers.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m pretty sure Vaughan was injured when he signed and is now out for the season and I wouldn’t say that McGuffie should ever be deployed as a striker.

I do think though that he should’ve been sent somewhere where it was guaranteed he got playing time but it doesn’t say much when he can’t get a start for Raith Rovers.

In fairness Cadden is in exactly the same boat at Somerset.....

Sorry, see this has already been covered.

Edited by WATTOO

In fairness Cadden is in exactly the same boat at Somerset.....
Sorry, see this has already been covered.

Yeah but I’d think McCalls thinking would be it’s better someone else’s player sits on the bench rather than one of our own players.

However this is pretty much meaningless as McGuffie is still sitting on a bench just at another club.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah but I’d think McCalls thinking would be it’s better someone else’s player sits on the bench rather than one of our own players.

However this is pretty much meaningless as McGuffie is still sitting on a bench just at another club.

Agree, we'd have been as well to have McGuffie warming the bench here as Cadden, not to mention that McGuffie was getting as much / more game time with ourselves as he has at Raith which makes the whole exercise pretty pointless.

Agree, we'd have been as well to have McGuffie warming the bench here as Cadden, not to mention that McGuffie was getting as much / more game time with ourselves as he has at Raith which makes the whole exercise pretty pointless.

This is why hindsight is great.

I was well in favour of letting McGuffie go on loan as I thought he’d play every week something which wasn’t happening at Ayr. I’m surprised he’s not getting more of a chance at Raith.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

This is why hindsight is great.

I was well in favour of letting McGuffie go on loan as I thought he’d play every week something which wasn’t happening at Ayr. I’m surprised he’s not getting more of a chance at Raith.

In fairness I was totally against it due to Forrest being out long term and the fact that we had limited width in the side, not to mention the fact that McGuffie was part of our matchday squad most weeks. Still, if McCall was intent on playing Crawford wide rather than give McGuffie a real chance, then it was probably best that he went out on Loan.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Someone saying on the SRE page that there's been an application put into the council for 210 homes to be built around Somerset and at the old railway yard which has been just demolished. Bit concerning as the application shows to take over car park aswell, I fear another incoming run in with the council brewing!FB_IMG_1553869414094.jpg

looks a really bad plot for 200+ houses.

Also looks like it would box in the whole front of your stands etc, not good if this is for real and gets approved. 

Do Ayr Utd own the car park? 

looks a really bad plot for 200+ houses.
Also looks like it would box in the whole front of your stands etc, not good if this is for real and gets approved. 

Do Ayr Utd own the car park? 

I’m not sure if we do.

I’m sure the club were asked about the massive pot hole that turns into a swimming pool whenever it rains and they said they couldn’t do anything about it as it was Council owner. I might be talking complete shite but I think that was the case.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

If that land is ok to build on now we should be looking to acquire it and expand the stadium out to the west.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not sure if we do.

I’m sure the club were asked about the massive pot hole that turns into a swimming pool whenever it rains and they said they couldn’t do anything about it as it was Council owner. I might be talking complete shite but I think that was the case.

I thought Jim Kirkwood bought the carpark?