The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Surely Doohan's heed isn't as big as what's shown in this photo?

Anyway, who was it getting booed when Moffat got subbed off? Thought it was odd if it was directed at Moffat, didn't think he played too badly considering how shite some of your other players were

It wasn't the player coming on who was getting booed. It was the decision to sub Moffat. 

FWIW I thought McCowan played reasonably well and no I wasn't one of the ones doing the booing

5 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Neither option are particularly great but Bell > Adams every day of the week. 

Not with high balls hes not. For high balls, Bell is the worst of all our centre halves (even Higgins *shudder*).

Neither option are particularly great but Bell > Adams every day of the week. 
Not with high balls hes not. For high balls, Bell is the worst of all our centre halves (even Higgins *shudder*).
Therein lies the problem.

Adams is dominant but bomb-scare, and bell is composed but weak.

Rose hasn't been great recently either, and that's before you chuck in Harvie or even, and this is being harsh, doohan.

The defence is no longer solid, and then you move forward through the team and find that confidence has drained up top as well. Moffat and shankland graft, but are feeding off scraps. The wingers are blowing hot and cold, and no-one has commanded the centre of midfield.

Plenty of options but in the current set-up we need a flukey early goal, and then hopefully a more positive and assured performance.

Rose hasn't been great recently either, and that's before you chuck in Harvie or even, and this is being harsh, doohan.

The defence is no longer solid, and then you move forward through the team and find that confidence has drained up top as well. Moffat and shankland graft, but are feeding off scraps. The wingers are blowing hot and cold, and no-one has commanded the centre of midfield.

Plenty of options but in the current set-up we need a flukey early goal, and then hopefully a more positive and assured performance.

I agree

Before when we weren’t breaking teams down we were at least solid enough that we didn’t concede at the other end.

Bell and Rose were our best partnership and had been since last season but Bell quickly turned soft and we had no one but Higgins to step in as Adams was injured. I thought Muirhead started off really well for and was the better centre back out of him and Rose but he was poor against Falkirk. Wasn’t responsible for either goal but he never looked comfortable. I still think he and Rose are our number 1 pair and he’s probably going to be the only one of our current centre backs at the club next season.

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Don’t get this Doohan hasn’t been performing nonsense. A fluke cross come shot against Falkirk yes he should have done better but was only negative I could say. Look at some of the kamikaze back passes he has had to deal with. Ross co game was superb and Dunfermline was our best player. On the whole he has been our most consistent performer this season

I also don’t get the sudden negativity towards Bell. There’s been two recent games with him and Rose playing together where we conceded more than 1 goal. The Ross County game in December and Inverness at home. He was poor in the County game but he was no worse than Rose against Inverness yet I don’t see Rose getting the same treatment.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

I also don’t get the sudden negativity towards Bell. There’s been two recent games with him and Rose playing together where we conceded more than 1 goal. The Ross County game in December and Inverness at home. He was poor in the County game but he was no worse than Rose against Inverness yet I don’t see Rose getting the same treatment.

I don’t think Rose has played very well since about December tbh. 

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Rose has been bad ever since he signed that pre-contract with Coventry

Not quite, he was tremendous the game after he signed.

23 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Bell is the only centre half we have who seems to know how to organise the back 4.  His decline (such as it is) has been at the root of our defensive problems over the last couple of months.  I wish Rose all the best at Coventry, but for me he has never looked the same defender without Bell’s influence next to him.  My suspicion is that we have just asked too much of Bell this season - he had stepped back to part time football at league 1 level when we picked him up and maybe asking him to play every week at championship level has left him a bit leg weary.  That said, I’m hoping that a few weeks out might have recharged the batteries a bit.  Based on what I’ve seen recently, Bell and  Muirhead should probably be our first choice with Smith ideally going to left back if Geggan ever gets fit.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:14, Mgc1910 said:

Bell is the only centre half we have who seems to know how to organise the back 4.  His decline (such as it is) has been at the root of our defensive problems over the last couple of months.  I wish Rose all the best at Coventry, but for me he has never looked the same defender without Bell’s influence next to him.  My suspicion is that we have just asked too much of Bell this season - he had stepped back to part time football at league 1 level when we picked him up and maybe asking him to play every week at championship level has left him a bit leg weary.  That said, I’m hoping that a few weeks out might have recharged the batteries a bit.  Based on what I’ve seen recently, Bell and  Muirhead should probably be our first choice with Smith ideally going to left back if Geggan ever gets fit.

Agree, Bell, Murdoch & Doohan have all been great this season with the exception of the odd mistake here and there.

We can go all doom and gloom but the fact remains that we're only 3 points from 2nd place despite our poor recent form and that surely speaks volumes in itself.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Agree, Bell, Murdoch & Doohan have all been great this season with the exception of the odd mistake here and there.

We can go all doom and gloom but the fact remains that we're only 3 points from 2nd place despite our poor recent form and that surely speaks volumes in itself.

Not sure that is true!

Murdoch & Doohan are in a different bracket to Bell. Bell has been alright, nothing more.

Without doubt Rose and Adams are our strongest central defenders.  Bell is not in the same league. Muirhead is strong and hopefully he will develop as a player at Ayr but he was poor at Falkirk. 

As for Jamie being a bombscare - well what nonsence as before his injury he was a rock in our defence. Also, why would anyone want our best full back playing out of position. Liam Smith who has been immense is a RB and not a LB.

Get behind whatever team is selected and we can grab 3 pts today. We are due to give Queens a doing.