The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just catching up on the results today and what the table looks like like now. It's absolute hilarious that we could still seriously finish second while going through a spell in the season when we've won 2 out of 12. This league is mental [emoji23]

I take it the "if you offered us survival at the start of the season we'd all bite your hand off for it" is the new "remember where we were two years ago" patter? 

The way we’re currently going I’d still bite your hands off for survival.

25 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I take it the "if you offered us survival at the start of the season we'd all bite your hand off for it" is the new "remember where we were two years ago" patter? 

I was thinking the same thing. ;)

Fortunately, I missed the game last night due to a night out.  We've been gash for about 4 months now, as mentioned, thank goodness we had such a good start.

The form table makes for bad reading. Next saturday against Queen of the South will be like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Screenshot_20190309-214212_Chrome.jpg

I just watched McCall's post match interview. Was the booing particularly bad? I take it, it was a reaction to Moffat being taken off rather than McCowan being introduced?

I always get frustrated when he hooks Moffat also given we've been dug meat for 4 months I'm surprised its taken so long for the boo boys.

16 hours ago, itzdrk said:

We are so lucky we got off to a good start because we are doing absolutely shite and would be heading comfortably down without it.  McCall had one plan on how to play and very clearly can't work out any other way, so we just hopelessly flail from match to match playing 4-4-2 and the other team knowing exactly what to expect from us and comfortably stopping us.   

When it's all over it will be good that we stayed up but bad management will stop it from having been enjoyable due to McCall's nature of being absolutely boom or bust for periods.  

We won't make the playoffs having been in the top two for almost the entire season and while that's still higher than we would have hoped for in July it isn't good enough to turn a team around in such a negative fashion.  

This has always been McCall’s Achilles heel.  Tactically one dimensional and doesn’t seem to be able to change things when it isn’t working.  4-4-2 is fundamentally a formation that we don’t have the players for.  Teams are wise to it.  They know if they flood the centre of the midfield and isolate Moffat, they’ve got us beat.  

We are so lucky we got off to a good start because we are doing absolutely shite and would be heading comfortably down without it.  McCall had one plan on how to play and very clearly can't work out any other way, so we just hopelessly flail from match to match playing 4-4-2 and the other team knowing exactly what to expect from us and comfortably stopping us.   
When it's all over it will be good that we stayed up but bad management will stop it from having been enjoyable due to McCall's nature of being absolutely boom or bust for periods.  
We won't make the playoffs having been in the top two for almost the entire season and while that's still higher than we would have hoped for in July it isn't good enough to turn a team around in such a negative fashion.  
I'd generally be described as a fanboy of the manager, but I fully agree with this criticism.

I'd love us to try something completely different at some point. Some sort of calderwoodesque gung-ho, or a totally different formation to throw off the opposition.

We are very, very predictable. When it's good, it's brilliant, but when it's bad it's woeful.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I just watched McCall's post match interview. Was the booing particularly bad? I take it, it was a reaction to Moffat being taken off rather than McCowan being introduced?

I always get frustrated when he hooks Moffat also given we've been dug meat for 4 months I'm surprised its taken so long for the boo boys.

It was ridiculous, everyone had been utterly shite and any one of them could have been going off without issue.  The manager had decided that he needed to change someone up front to make a go of it and it probably worked.  We didn't get a goal but we got forward and used the ball better after Moffat went off. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

It was ridiculous, everyone had been utterly shite and any one of them could have been going off without issue.  The manager had decided that he needed to change someone up front to make a go of it and it probably worked.  We didn't get a goal but we got forward and used the ball better after Moffat went off. 

Thanks, sounds like he was right to challenge the booing then. I just wasn't sure of the context.

18 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Harvie dropped for ecrepont .there u have it .a hungry young player desperate too get in the team .can't do any worse than harvie has been .

You obviously didn't come and see him starting in the Reserves Challenge Cup against Livi the other day. Okay, I know somebody is going to come back and say the defence got a clean sheet so it couldn't have been that bad, but Ecrepont looked nothing like ready for a first team start. Most of the danger came down his side and  only a few great shot-stops from Hare-Reid, and our two centre-halves putting in great shifts, kept it that way.

He's going to be a decent player but he's still too raw to be chucked in at the business end of the season.  You know how quickly SRE turns on a player that makes a couple of mistakes - you could end up ruining the boy. 

23 hours ago, itzdrk said:

LINEUP111551896367850.png

Surely Doohan's heed isn't as big as what's shown in this photo?

Anyway, who was it getting booed when Moffat got subbed off? Thought it was odd if it was directed at Moffat, didn't think he played too badly considering how shite some of your other players were

I couldn't be there but, according to my wife who was, it was directed at Luke McCowan as he came on but was clearly a boo for the decision to remove Moffat rather than a view on McCowan per se (other than presumably the crowd didn't expect him to do any better than Moffat, at best).

But it was stupid for sure, and wasn't going to do anything to help poor McCowan prove them otherwise. 

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

Not sure where I was reading Doohan getting pelters for the first goal....he was in a position to collect the cross and it seemed to take a turn towards goal, either from the wind or the spin that the player managed to put on it, not even De Gea would stop that one...