The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

Looks like we have too many with an eye on contracts for next season, though ironically Shankland is one of the few still busting a gut for us.  Smith, Rose and Murdoch barely broke sweat.  Constantly blaming Crawford is a bit of s nonsense.  He isn’t a wide midfielder but has had to play there due to a lack of options.  Cadden and Miller were brought in to help but have contributed absolutely nothing, pushing us back to McDaid.  Miller in particular seems to have genuine pedigree so I can only assume he is giving us Scott McKenna levels of application.  Couple all that with the diminishing influence of our experienced players due to injury and general leg weariness and we have a right mess on our hands.  

I get the Shankland love but he’s been off since returning from injury! The chances he’s had recently that he’s missed are ones he’d have put away early season. Rose has been a bit off form but to question their effort is a bit out of otter. I would suggest that Smith probably covers more ground that most players week to week. Murdoch works hard and gets moved about the park and never gives up. None of these players have signed contracts with anyone yet.

26 minutes ago, Naeleftfit said:

I get the Shankland love but he’s been off since returning from injury! The chances he’s had recently that he’s missed are ones he’d have put away early season. Rose has been a bit off form but to question their effort is a bit out of otter. I would suggest that Smith probably covers more ground that most players week to week. Murdoch works hard and gets moved about the park and never gives up. None of these players have signed contracts with anyone yet.

Rose has signed for Coventry.  Smith is probably going to Dundee Utd.  Murdoch might stay, but won’t be short of otters.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

Rose has signed for Coventry.  Smith is probably going to Dundee Utd.  Murdoch might stay, but won’t be short of otters.

Forgot about the Coventry move but regardless if they had all signed I don’t think for one minute they have downed tools and as for the poster suggesting to drop Rose, Smith and Murdoch, short memories and fickle ! 

3 hours ago, superayr_1910 said:

Surely it’s time to try a new formation, 442 isn’t working anymore

Can't see that happening, it would take time to work on it in training before  implementing  it in a game, and if we'd been doing  that already I'm sure we'd have seen it at this point.  McCall obviously likes to keep things simple, which works for league 1 but not so much when you step up a level.

Forgot about the Coventry move but regardless if they had all signed I don’t think for one minute they have downed tools and as for the poster suggesting to drop Rose, Smith and Murdoch, short memories and fickle ! 
Bit of a minter to accuse people of short memories whilst forgetting your player signed a PCA less than two months ago tbf.

8 minutes ago, ListerRRFC said:
1 hour ago, Naeleftfit said:

Bit of a minter to accuse people of short memories whilst forgetting your player signed a PCA less than two months ago tbf.

Very sharp from someone who should be posting in league 1 banter, did you forget you didn’t get promoted. 

Christ almighty, this is a bit of a shocker reading the recent posts, fortunately I was on a night out last night so missed both being at the game and also the TV coverage, however I can only assume there's a few major over reactions here.

Murdoch & Smith have been excellent in almost every game this season and both put in 100% every single week as far as I can see it, Shankland has clearly been a bit short of match sharpness since he's returned but again he always puts in an excellent shift.

Rose, while he's already signed the PCA with Coventry, has still been trying hard as far as I've seen, although he has had a difficult couple of weeks and has made a few very costly mistakes.

Calvin Miller has also done well when I've seen him and can't believe the stick he's getting here either.

Al in all, there's no doubt that we're on a bad run, there's also no doubt that we've not been carrying any luck (as often happens in these cases), however I'm truly astonished / shocked / in disbelief about the way some are talking about our Players and Manager.

Look at us then look at the current state of Raith Rovers.

Quite frankly some of our supporters don't deserve success and entertainment with this sort of attitude...............

Christ almighty, this is a bit of a shocker reading the recent posts, fortunately I was on a night out last night so missed both being at the game and also the TV coverage, however I can only assume there's a few major over reactions here.
Murdoch & Smith have been excellent in almost every game this season and both put in 100% every single week as far as I can see it, Shankland has clearly been a bit short of match sharpness since he's returned but again he always puts in an excellent shift.
Rose, while he's already signed the PCA with Coventry, has still been trying hard as far as I've seen, although he has had a difficult couple of weeks and has made a few very costly mistakes.
Calvin Miller has also done well when I've seen him and can't believe the stick he's getting here either.
Al in all, there's no doubt that we're on a bad run, there's also no doubt that we've not been carrying any luck (as often happens in these cases), however I'm truly astonished / shocked / in disbelief about the way some are talking about our Players and Manager.
Quite frankly some of our supporters don't deserve success and entertainment with this sort of attitude...............

I’m not sure why you’d compare us to Raith but I completely agree with everything else.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If people are criticising some players for the game last night don't you think you should watch it for yourself before telling them why they're wrong.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not sure why you’d compare us to Raith but I completely agree with everything else.

I was comparing us with Raith because that could have been us but for the late turnaround in the final game and of course our pool hasn't really changed that much since then. (I still firmly believe that Forrest is a huge miss and would make a massive difference if he ever returns).

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

If people are criticising some players for the game last night don't you think you should watch it for yourself before telling them why they're wrong.

Lots of the comments were about our "recent run" and players "recent performances" which is nonsense in my opinion as I have seen all these games. You're right though I will watch it when I get a spare couple of hours.

I agree with loaning out young players - or in the case of Chris Higgins where a player has been injured and looking to get match fit-however while David Ferguson and Chris Higgins are getting game time, Craig McGuffie is constantly on the bench for Raith Rovers and today didn't even come on as sub. Rather disappointing. Being on loan to Raith is doing nothing for McGuffie's development -might as well have stayed with Ayr as an impact sub.

Just to add some perspective to our season, we played really well for the 1st quarter and have allowed the team to live off that for the last 2 quarters, all went pete tong after County when we dropped Moffat for Moore, only regained our swagger or style of play fleetingly since then, fortunately we stole 3 victories in a row after the County game or we'd be seriously staring relegation in the face again. 

We are so lucky we got off to a good start because we are doing absolutely shite and would be heading comfortably down without it.  McCall had one plan on how to play and very clearly can't work out any other way, so we just hopelessly flail from match to match playing 4-4-2 and the other team knowing exactly what to expect from us and comfortably stopping us.   

When it's all over it will be good that we stayed up but bad management will stop it from having been enjoyable due to McCall's nature of being absolutely boom or bust for periods.  

We won't make the playoffs having been in the top two for almost the entire season and while that's still higher than we would have hoped for in July it isn't good enough to turn a team around in such a negative fashion.  

Calmed down on last night and on Michael Rose I don't think it's helping him that he's virtually playing with a different CB partner every week. Last night I thought Rose was fine and his last gasp challenge on Rudden saved an envitable goal from happening. Would say Muirhead looked like an absolute bombscare alongside him last night.

Obvious that Harvie now has zero confidence and needs dropped but while Geggan is out with injury there's zero other options to replace him at LB.

Going to put my neck out on the line here and say I was disappointed and didn't agree with the booing for Moffat going off because I thought he was shite last night, McCall had every right to try something different up front as we had nothing to lose, plus he'd tried Moffat and Shankland up front for about the first 20 minutes of the second half and don't remember them making one link up move.

To state the bleeding obvious though we are in a right mess and our inability to improve the team in January when the confidence was draining out of us then is looking to be costly. Been impressed with Miller and presume he got hooked at half time for injury and not a bemusing McCall tactical decision. Cadden meanwhile looks absolutely shite. Need Forrest back but can't see that happening and dare I even say it Craig Moore, just anybody different atm to try and get us winning.

Calmed down on last night and on Michael Rose I don't think it's helping him that he's virtually playing with a different CB partner every week. Last night I thought Rose was fine and his last gasp challenge on Rudden saved an envitable goal from happening. Would say Muirhead looked like an absolute bombscare alongside him last night.

Obvious that Harvie now has zero confidence and needs dropped but while Geggan is out with injury there's zero other options to replace him at LB.

Going to put my neck out on the line here and say I was disappointed and didn't agree with the booing for Moffat going off because I thought he was shite last night, McCall had every right to try something different up front as we had nothing to lose, plus he'd tried Moffat and Shankland up front for about the first 20 minutes of the second half and don't remember them making one link up move.

To state the bleeding obvious though we are in a right mess and our inability to improve the team in January when the confidence was draining out of us then is looking to be costly. Been impressed with Miller and presume he got hooked at half time for injury and not a bemusing McCall tactical decision. Cadden meanwhile looks absolutely shite. Need Forrest back but can't see that happening and dare I even say it Craig Moore, just anybody different atm to try and get us winning.

I thought Miller was pretty poor last night but I can’t fault his effort.

Can he not play LB or is that out of the question?

I thought Miller was pretty poor last night but I can’t fault his effort.

Can he not play LB or is that out of the question?
Think he played LB at Dundee but think McCall signed him on the basis that he'd be higher up the pitch but not sure.

The player we have to get back to his best is without doubt Moffat, when he plays he changes the whole set up making space for others holding up and allowing our slow midfield to get up the park, I agree with the previous poster last night he was terrible.