The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

How many for a postponement?

Postponement and International Selection

G7

A Club shall be entitled to apply to the Board for the postponement of any Official Match where three or more of its Players who would otherwise have participated in such match are unavailable through international selection and, following receipt of such an application, the Board may postpone and rearrange the relevant Official Match in accordance with Rule G3.

13 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Brilliant, another Saturday with no match.  The people running our game don’t have a brain between them.

Any postponement would be at Ayr’s request. What the f**k’s that got to do with “the people running our game”?

A run of 6 games where only 1 has a 3pm kick off on Saturday afternoon. Wouldn't surprise me if they also moved the Dundee United and Ross county games.
Would be surprised if home game against Ross County doesn't get moved to Friday night just to shaft the Ross County fans.

14 minutes ago, hoodless said:

Any postponement would be at Ayr’s request. What the f**k’s that got to do with “the people running our game”?

Ummmmmmm.  Because the SFA are scheduling meaningless u21 friendlies in conflict with competitive championship matches which then require to be postponed.  It’s almost as though they want to drive people away from games.  No good for clubs as shifting games to midweek means reduced match day revenue.  Not to mention that some fans arrange shift swaps etc in advance of scheduled kick offs.    

17 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

What do you want to do? Play rush goalie?

No, I expect the SFA to prioritise competitive league games.  Being forced to postpone a key game to accommodate a pointless youth international is a joke.  The contempt for the paying public leaves you speechless at times.  

2 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Ummmmmmm.  Because the SFA are scheduling meaningless u21 friendlies in conflict with competitive championship matches which then require to be postponed.  It’s almost as though they want to drive people away from games.  No good for clubs as shifting games to midweek means reduced match day revenue.  Not to mention that some fans arrange shift swaps etc in advance of scheduled kick offs.    

This is during the international break, and will be one of only two chances they get to have a squad get together before the qualifiers start in September.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is during the international break, and will be one of only two chances they get to have a squad get together before the qualifiers start in September.

Prioritising utterly meaningless youth games ahead of games that might attract actual fans is typical of the stupidity of those who are paid money to run and promote our game.  I’m pretty confident players will learn more playing competitive matches than they ever will from some SFA junket.

2 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Prioritising utterly meaningless youth games ahead of games that might attract actual fans is typical of the stupidity of those who are paid money to run and promote our game.  I’m pretty confident players will learn more playing competitive matches than they ever will from some SFA junket.

The vast majority of players in the squad are Premiership players or guys who are based in England, none of whom have competitive games. Two of the Ayr United players involved are on loan from top flight clubs too, and one of them only joined the club less than five weeks ago, which was probably after the fixture was scheduled.

It's ludicrous to suggest that the SFA should not organise any U21 (or other youth team) fixtures during the international breaks, just in case the squad contains a handful of lower league players from the same club and a single match has to be postponed.

When do you want them to organise them?

Players will learn more playing against other countries age groups than they will against lower league Scottish team.

I’m not the biggest fan of the authorities but folk look for any excuse to criticise them.

My mate sent me a text saying that his mate has a framed picture of an "African child wearing an Ayr United top".  I thought it was a very strange thing to have a framed picture of, but it was pretty cool that an Ayr United top had reached Africa.

A couple of days later he messaged me a photo of the framed picture. Imagine my surprise when it was NOT an African child, but a photo of the legend that was former Ayr United winger Sir Michael Reynolds.

I would venture that a competitive Scottish international team will do more for the overall good of the game and enthusiasm for the product available  in the League week to week than pretty much anything else.  Other nations have shown bringing players through the system together U21 and full squad works so I struggle to see the argument that the League should take precedence.

I get more far jacked off by moving match for TV at the last minute than for moving games due to international duty.

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

When do you want them to organise them?

Players will learn more playing against other countries age groups than they will against lower league Scottish team.

I’m not the biggest fan of the authorities but folk look for any excuse to criticise them.

Bollocks.  Talent is developed at club level by playing competitive matches.  

Besides, the record of the under 21s in progressing talent is dismal.  Andy Robertson barely got a game  and absolutely no one was arguing that Scott Gemmill should be promoted to the senior team even when the best alternative was a decade out of date Alex McLeish.  James McCarthy ended up choosing to play for Ireland because we didn’t even have the brains to get him capped at any youth level, because, according to Archie Knox, he wasn’t good enough.

The obvious solution here was to excuse players from teams involved in competitive games over that weekend. But no, that would involve a slice of common sense which the SFA doesn’t do.

Besides, the record of the under 21s in progressing talent is dismal.  Andy Robertson barely got a game  and absolutely no one was arguing that Scott Gemmill should be promoted to the senior team even when the best alternative was a decade out of date Alex McLeish.  James McCarthy ended up choosing to play for Ireland because we didn’t even have the brains to get him capped at any youth level, because, according to Archie Knox, he wasn’t good enough.
The obvious solution here was to excuse players from teams involved in competitive games over that weekend. But no, that would involve a slice of common sense which the SFA doesn’t do.

Young players are deemed not good enough all over the world at international and club level before developing into good players. It’s not just Scotland.

It’s a scheduled international break when they go away so it’s not just been arranged last minute. The SFA can’t not organise it on the off chance a lower league side might have a couple of players called up.

It’s these guys last chance to impress their manager before the competitive games start so naturally they’ll want to go away and we shouldn’t be stopping them.

As I said though you’re just looking for things to moan about.

40 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Have you considered that the players may want to represent there countries? For a few of them, the u21s is the closest they'll come to representing there country. 

I wager a bet that as a kid your three players dreamed of that more than they did playing for Ayr. 

Edit:No insult intended. 

Edited by Grant228

13 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Andy Robertson moved from the 3rd Division to the Premiership in July 2013, made his U21 debut in October 2013 and then made his senior debut in March 2014. I'm not sure how many U21 caps you would have expected him to get in that period.

Scott Gemmill played a different position to Alex McLeish.