The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Its a reminder of where we are now in comparison and the chance to really enjoy the last 13+ games knowing we'll be at the very worst in this league next season, something that hasn't happened for 15 years.

Apart from the couple of years where Barr was poring the money in, we have always been a mid table to low end 2nd tier team in my lifetime and that was also when we had 3 larger leagues as opposed to the 4 smaller ones now.

This season must rank right up there as one of our best ever, certainly in recent years anyway and I'd just urge everyone to really enjoy it as going by our recent history it's certainly not the "norm".

Having said that, there's no reason why we can't be competing every year or even looking seriously at promotion to the Premier, our crowds are slowly but surely returning and a few seasons of consolidation playing attractive quality football and competing at the top end of this league would see our support increase by the week.

As said before, it's all good at Somerset just now..............

11 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Apart from the couple of years where Barr was poring the money in, we have always been a mid table to low end 2nd tier team in my lifetime and that was also when we had 3 larger leagues as opposed to the 4 smaller ones now.

This season must rank right up there as one of our best ever, certainly in recent years anyway and I'd just urge everyone to really enjoy it as going by our recent history it's certainly not the "norm".

Having said that, there's no reason why we can't be competing every year or even looking seriously at promotion to the Premier, our crowds are slowly but surely returning and a few seasons of consolidation playing attractive quality football and competing at the top end of this league would see our support increase by the week.

As said before, it's all good at Somerset just now..............

While I agree with most or your post, I can't help feeling we're having a little bubble at present with the stars aligning in the form of McCall's player management, Shankland playing like Messi, and the lack of any dominant teams in the Championship.

Things are 'all good at Somerset' this season but the fact remains we have an owner propping up the club who, while having its best interests at heart, is unable and unwilling to push the club forward in the longer term. We still play in a ramshackle old stadium that is full of character and charm but costs the club a lot to maintain and is long overdue being replaced. Until we get the club self sustaining, playing out of modern facilities and with an owner and board committed for the long term then I'll continue to feel like we are punching above our weight and there's always the threat this current period of good times could end just as suddenly as it began.

So at this point we are 12 clear of QOTS in 5th with only 13 games remaining, how many more points do we think we need to guarantee at least 4th, I'm assuming that will be the next check point Mcall would have in his mind after we broke the glass celling of 40pts I think between 8 and 10 points should do it. Screenshot_20190214_195148_com.android.chrome.jpg

So at this point we are 12 clear of QOTS in 5th with only 13 games remaining, how many more points do we think we need to guarantee at least 4th, I'm assuming that will be the next check point Mcall would have in his mind after we broke the glass celling of 40pts I think between 8 and 10 points should do it. Screenshot_20190214_195148_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.4d018ef4ae9dbd5a76048f6a7343e914.jpg
13 for top 4, 30 to win it.

I think  at  this point McCall is firmly focused on winning the bloody thing, as he should. The County game in a couple of weeks should be a cracker,   with two winnable games till then, going into that still within touching distance could have a big say on how things pan out.

I think  at  this point McCall is firmly focused on winning the bloody thing, as he should. The County game in a couple of weeks should be a cracker,   with two winnable games till then, going into that still within touching distance could have a big say on how things pan out.

I defo agree and think he's is focused on winning the thing but I also think he will be happy with all the press being on Dundee United and County keeps the pressure off the players and on the other teams, the fact we can potentially go top on Saturday at the tail end of February is still a bit sureal

22 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
33 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I defo agree and think he's is focused on winning the thing but I also think he will be happy with all the press being on Dundee United and County keeps the pressure off the players and on the other teams, the fact we can potentially go top on Saturday at the tail end of February is still a bit sureal

He's been pretty clever with his public comments regarding the league this year. Certainly seems the type to keep the players grounded by talking about targets and readjusting once they are met. 

The classic 'We'll take each game as it comes' line is the only one we need to know.

I'm fairly confident we'll be at least playing in the play-offs come May. We obviously can still win the league, but plenty will have already written us off, but let's just take one game at a time.