The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Was a bit surprised Crawford got the motm as I thought he was a bit....

...absolutely average as he has been for months, he’s McCall’s biggest blind spot.

Tremendous effort from all, Docherty & Moffat especially.

Can we agree right now to start McDaid in all remaining 15 league games on the left where he’s far more effective. Great to see Moore look like his former self, didn’t think that was the right type of situation to reintroduce Shankland, Moore can count himself really unlucky to not finish the game.

4 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

...absolutely average as he has been for months, he’s McCall’s biggest blind spot.

Can we agree right now to start McDaid in all remaining 15 league games on the left where he’s far more effective. Great to see Moore look like his former self, didn’t think that was the right type of situation to reintroduce Shankland, Moore can count himself really unlucky to not finish the game.

I disagree. I actually thought it was a well thought out move.

We all know the huge morale boost of having Shankland leading the line. At that point we were being heavily pegged back.

As soon as Shankers came on there was a huge boost across the team and we started to look dangerous again.

He gave us an outball to allow us to hold on, something we didn’t have with Moore. He was a bit off his usual pace though but the run out will have worked wonders.

I disagree. I actually thought it was a well thought out move.
We all know the huge morale boost of having Shankland leading the line. At that point we were being heavily pegged back.
As soon as Shankers came on there was a huge boost across the team and we started to look dangerous again.
He gave us an outball to allow us to hold on, something we didn’t have with Moore. He was a bit off his usual pace though but the run out will have worked wonders.

I hear what you’re saying but the pressure we found ourselves under wasn’t particularly sustained and probably owed more to the weather rather than DU’s incisiveness. He does inspire confidence in the side undoubtedly.

I was waiting for Shankland to break down again & rule himself out for another month, thankfully he didn’t and we walk away with 3 points.

How good is Doohan though?  A fucking brilliant keeper.  I'm 34 and this is the first time I can ever remember being totally confident when the other team is pumping big high balls at us, even late corners etc. The lad is class.

Thought Ross Doohan was his usual solid self tonight. A long time since we've had a better cross/corner catcher I'll wager. Just finished his reel and very little to do in the first half but caps a fine game by plucking the last minute corner right in front of his opposite number. Kicking good also. Good stuff.

Edited by wuffster
Slower typer than Hursty obviously

21 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

If he is not then there must be some super keepers out there.

What will the odds be on it do you think?

I think it's a certainty.  The best business McCall could do anytime soon is arrange to get him back next season.  

Robby McCrorie knocking us back seems like a stroke of luck to me...

Doohan installs confidence in the defence , seems a lot older in the head than his age , confident young man and not afraid to challenge experienced players who are not doing their duties , talking to friends tonight at game and saying that in 4/5 years time we could see potentially 5 Ayr players (past and present)  featuring in the Scotland squad 

Doohan , Smith, McKenna,Rose and Shankland 

Has Moffat's style of play changed? Didn't he used to bang goals in for Ayr in his first spell? I can't see how he did that with the type of player he is. His link-up play is excellent and I do wonder if Shankland would have had as good a season if he wasn't there?

He reminds me a lot of Lyle. He isn't going to beat many players for pace so has to make sure his brain is one step ahead.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has Moffat's style of play changed? Didn't he used to bang goals in for Ayr in his first spell? I can't see how he did that with the type of player he is. His link-up play is excellent and I do wonder if Shankland would have had as good a season if he wasn't there?

He reminds me a lot of Lyle. He isn't going to beat many players for pace so has to make sure his brain is one step ahead.

As Moff has lost a couple of steps of pace, he's gained a lot of other attributes. As I've said to folk in the past, if we were Barcelona he would be our Iniesta.  His movement, vision, link up play and general holding up of the ball is immense. Last night he covered the entire pitch, and I would argue he was probably the fittest player on the park. Tends to drift around a fair bit dragging defenders out of place opening up gaps. 

Best thing that ever happened to him was going to Dunfermline as he's came back a far more rounded player, instead of the rough diamond he was in his first spell with us. Was absolutely gutted when he left.  

7 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Can't agree about Shankland, if Moore was stood next to me last night he'd have took himself off for Shankers, it was not a reflection on Moore' performance but we needed Shanklands bustling style as the game turned tousy in the latter stages.

Coventry fans will be rubbing their hands after watching Rose heading everything when the pressure was on late.

Edited by ayrmad

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

The reaction to Rose was excellent last night in days gone past he might have got a bit of stick but the opposite was the fact I'd even say his name was song the most.

It's only the thickos that would begrudge a young man his big opportunity and the riches that might come from it.

6 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

The reaction to Rose was excellent last night in days gone past he might have got a bit of stick but the opposite was the fact I'd even say his name was song the most.

I loved the celebration at the final whistle when he hugged Doohan. You can tell he is going to give it his all till the end of the season. Class act.