The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Its exactly the same, why own a football club to manage its decline?  That's largely been Cameron's legacy. The last two seasons have been great (yesterday aside), the thirteen before were turgid. 

The board need to show their ambition. Back the manager and give it a go (we're not talking about risking the club's future its 2/3 signings!) or dont. Its their call, if they opt for the later you can hardly blame the support for getting fed up.

This season can still be a good one but the next 2 weeks are huge and a real test of the board's mettle imo.

See, it’s bollocks like this that winds me up.  The board need to show ambition?  They’ve taken us back to full time football after more than a decade bumping along as a part time club.  It was this more than anything else that prevented us re-establishing ourselves at championship level.  Brian Reid banged on about it to the point that he ended up pissing folk off,  but he wasn’t wrong.  Going full time has allowed us to bring in a quality of player we haven’t seen since the Barr era.  The obvious question I would ask is how we can sustain full time football now when we couldn’t in the past, but the bottom line is that we’ve done it and are generally reaping the rewards whatever the disappointment of yesterday or the poor form of the last few weeks.

Edited by Mgc1910

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The semi final is up there in making me feel utter shite.

In fairness the relegation two years ago didn’t hit me too hard. I’d been prepared for a few weeks so it was fully expected.

Craig Moore’s penalty miss vs Alloa last season is probably the absolute worst I’ve felt but it’s kind of insignificant now. For a week though I was an absolute wreck.

It wasn't the penalty miss but our overall performance that left me shell-shocked that day, I felt much the same yesterday but with the added realisation that we might not get a chance to rectify it for decades.

2 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

See, it’s bollocks like this that winds me up.  The board need to show ambition?  They’ve taken us back to full time football after more than a decade bumping along as a part time club.  It was this more than anything else that prevented us re-establishing ourselves at championship level.  Brian Reid banged on about it to the point that he ended up pissing folk off,  but he wasn’t wrong.  Going full time has allowed us to bring in a quality of player we haven’t seen since the Barr era.  The obvious question I would ask is how we can sustain full time football now when we couldn’t in the past, but the bottom line is that we’ve done it and are generally reaping the rewards whatever the disappointment of yesterday or the poor form of the last few weeks.

Not sure how near we are to sustaining it but our crowds are significantly better than they've been for a long while.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If there were players available then they will already have signed for Dundee United, Falkirk, Partick or Ross County. Unless we can get someone on a loan on deadline day I doubt we'll have anyone. McCall normally has someone lined up who is leaving on a free like Balatoni, Harkins or Kerr and to an extent Erskine. 

Liam Smith was a major coup in the summer and I'm sure there were many wanted him who were better placed than ourselves, hopefully McCall has another one like this up his sleeve.

Who knows, there might even be a loan player from a high profile club who could appear in the next few days............

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Liam Smith was a major coup in the summer and I'm sure there were many wanted him who were better placed than ourselves, hopefully McCall has another one like this up his sleeve.

Who knows, there might even be a loan player from a high profile club who could appear in the next few days............

Who are Talbot letting go.

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Moore just standing there at the end of the game, hands on hips. Nobody went near him.

Well hopefully he proves me totally wrong and is just lacking in confidence, hopefully nobody thinks it's a good idea to abuse any of our players after yesterday as I've not watched them in these poor performances and thought any of them weren't trying, I've watched them and thought that 5 or more are seriously lacking in confidence but there's nowt anyone but themselves can do about that.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Well hopefully he proves me totally wrong and is just lacking in confidence, hopefully nobody thinks it's a good idea to abuse any of our players after yesterday as I've not watched them in these poor performances and thought any of them weren't trying, I've watched them and thought that 5 or more are seriously lacking in confidence but there's nowt anyone but themselves can do about that.

That was the Alloa game I was talking about.

55 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Who are Talbot letting go.

I'm sure we still hold the majority of the Talbot teams registrations, much like Tiffony, they can sign for anyone outside senior football.  Shankland said last year that he wanted Ayr to either release him or give him another crack at senior football,  When McCracken left, McCall said he wasn't going to get game time but so had let him go but would keep an eye on him. 

I doubt we'd be shitty enough to take players from junior football and piss off a local club, I doubt either player could compete at this level regularly either. Shankland was the slowest professional footballer I have ever seen and he wasn't out his teens at the time. 

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I'm sure we still hold the majority of the Talbot teams registrations, much like Tiffony, they can sign for anyone outside senior football.  Shankland said last year that he wanted Ayr to either release him or give him another crack at senior football,  When McCracken left, McCall said he wasn't going to get game time but so had let him go but would keep an eye on him. 

I doubt we'd be shitty enough to take players from junior football and piss off a local club, I doubt either player could compete at this level regularly either. Shankland was the slowest professional footballer I have ever seen and he wasn't out his teens at the time. 

I know some think I'm a rocket but come on, I was only joking  as Talbot are the highest profile team in Scotland this weekend, I reckon I could give young Shankland a race if the pie stall was down to it's last pie.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

^Its bollocks like this that grinds my gears.

Why choose to re-write history? I like how you write off the decade under the same board that we spent part time. Two years of success doesn't disregard thirteen no matter how you try to spin it! This board has made more mistakes than successes during their tenure that cannot be disputed. 

We sustain full time football through increased attendances and no doubt there is contributions by the board/Cameron. As with the donations made by us, the fans. It'd be nice to see you recognise that rather than solely congratulating the board's sudden strategic accumen of the last two years.

Utlimately, I'm suggesting the board show ambition signing 2/3 players not put the club's future in doubt.

I'm not sure why you find that so offensive? 

I’d probably have given Shankland another crack over Sean McKenzie who seemed to go back and forth between us and Cumnock I think.

Scored more own goals for us than actual goals which for a striker was quite impressive.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Btw I’ve just had another glance on SRE and I’m pleased to see Cameron “correcting” a few mistaken fans concerning the commitment of board members.

It was one of the few posts worth reading, I had no doubts that he was making funds available, might not be what some want or expect but we are going for it, just need the boys to find their form , confidence and fitness so I can re-evaluate my re-evaluation.

It was one of the few posts worth reading, I had no doubts that he was making funds available, might not be what some want or expect but we are going for it, just need the boys to find their form , confidence and fitness so I can re-evaluate my re-evaluation.

The idea in football that directors and owners of clubs are the “bad guys” is utterly laughable. Like you I’ve not always been a fan of Cameron but since McCall came in he seems to have found a manager that he trusts and I can’t really fault him the last few years.

I do agree that confidence is an issue and it perhaps comes down to having a lot of youngsters in the starting 11. McDaid, Moore and Crawford looking low in the last few weeks. Plus it doesn’t help that the experienced players or the leaders are out like Kerr, Adams and even Shankland.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Btw I’ve just had another glance on SRE and I’m pleased to see Cameron “correcting” a few mistaken fans concerning the commitment of board members.

Glad he has come out and said that, looks as if we could hopefully get at least one in before the end of January. Knew Lauchlan was a member of the page but had always wondered if he actually read it, fair play to him for quite clearly doing so.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The idea in football that directors and owners of clubs are the “bad guys” is utterly laughable. Like you I’ve not always been a fan of Cameron but since McCall came in he seems to have found a manager that he trusts and I can’t really fault him the last few years.

I do agree that confidence is an issue and it perhaps comes down to having a lot of youngsters in the starting 11. McDaid, Moore and Crawford looking low in the last few weeks. Plus it doesn’t help that the experienced players or the leaders are out like Kerr, Adams and even Shankland.

Even last season when everyone was drooling over Shanklands scoring exploits I used to spout about how much confidence everyone behind must get from knowing he was up top fighting like f**k for every ball, holding it up when required, passing it wide when required, always showing for a pass, his goals were just the cherry on top for me, our problems can be traced back to Moore coming in for Moffat (no blame on Moore), it changed our style of play and we've never refound it barring an odd spell here and there, the 3 victories just papered over the cracks at the time( we didn't actually deserve 3 victories).

Edited by ayrmad