The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I would have played him from the start. Can move the ball quickly and cut inside or outside so more chance of getting in behind them. McDaid is good where there is space to run into of which there was very little today 

McDaid is very good when his full back stands off him by about 5 yards which is exactly what Paul Watson at Dundee United did.

In defence of D'Jaffo, Moore is all we have tbh. In comparison to other strikers in the league: Mckay, Dobbie and El Bakhtaoui, he's nowhere near that standard. Yet is all Ayr have atm, if anyone knows a better striker Ayr could get on the cheap, let us know. 

Just now, AyrExile said:

I would have played him from the start. Can move the ball quickly and cut inside or outside so more chance of getting in behind them. McDaid is good where there is space to run into of which there was very little today 

I dont disagree but the Championship isnt the level to blood a young player.

For McGuffie's development he needs to be playing and even during our injury crisis he hasnt been so he should be loaned out (once we secure someone else).

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Just listened to post match interview and McCall in no way suggested that Shankland could perhaps be back for Dundee United, brilliant.

Can you link it?

I hope he apologised for the performance and gave the players the hairdryer treatment.

Hard to account for that performance.   We had 6 or 7 players who looked like they didn’t want to be there.  Docherty put himself about well and Doohan had nothing to do, but otherwise there wasn’t a pass mark in the team.  A few with one eye on a pre-contract perhaps.  Watching Higgins and Rose was a flashback to the first half of last season.  Smith and Harvie looked like they’d basically forgotten how to play football.  McDaid has so much ability but when he doesn’t fancy it, oh Lord....   I’ve tended to defend Moore, but he’s completely lost the plot. 

I didn’t feel that upset at the final whistle, I was just glad I didn’t have to suffer another minute of that horror show.

Just watched the Aumedia interview, would it be too much to ask the interviewer to actually put a question to McCall for a change?

I'm not entirely happy with what he said tbh and the players need a kick up their collective @rses.

That was shocking but it seems to me that there's something just not right behind the scenes. The togetherness and happy attitude of the players just hasn't been there over the past few weeks.

Have a few of them been tapped up ?

Shankland apparently wasn't even at the game today (could be something or nothing), Liam Smith has looked like a different player in the past few weeks (and not in a good way), there's been no urgency throughout the team for the past few weeks and it just seems a complete turnaround from earlier in the season.

The most worrying thing today was that there was no fight whatsoever and the players just seem incapable of changing anything. 

Moore is completely lacking in confidence and looks almost afraid when the ball comes to him, Robbie is doing nothing from a creative perspective and just tries the easy option all the time, is it the pressure that's getting to them all ?

As for today, Moffat for me did what he could and was one of our few bright sparks, Murdoch also wasn't bad and Docherty was one of the few who actually put in a shift. Doohan also couldn't be faulted, but other than that I thought the rest were either really poor or not involved.

It's not all down to just Shankland either as the problems run far deeper than that, We haven't played well for weeks and the fast effortless flowing football which was present at the start of the season now seems a long, long, way away.

It's actually amazing how the same group of players can go from looking like Championship champions elect with great careers ahead of them all to League 1 journeymen and sadly after watching that utter dross today, that's exactly what they looked like to me..................

Just watched the Aumedia interview, would it be too much to ask the interviewer to actually put a question to McCall for a change?
I'm not entirely happy with what he said tbh and the players need a kick up their collective @rses.

My feelings exactly.

Of course it’s not really his job to ask McCall uncomfortable questions on a fan channel. Plenty of journos for that.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That was shocking but it seems to me that there's something just not right behind the scenes. The togetherness and happy attitude of the players just hasn't been there over the past few weeks.

Have a few of them been tapped up ?

Shankland apparently wasn't even at the game today (could be something or nothing), Liam Smith has looked like a different player in the past few weeks (and not in a good way), there's been no urgency throughout the team for the past few weeks and it just seems a complete turnaround from earlier in the season.

The most worrying thing today was that there was no fight whatsoever and the players just seem incapable of changing anything. 

Moore is completely lacking in confidence and looks almost afraid when the ball comes to him, Robbie is doing nothing from a creative perspective and just tries the easy option all the time, is it the pressure that's getting to them all ?

As for today, Moffat for me did what he could and was one of our few bright sparks, Murdoch also wasn't bad and Docherty was one of the few who actually put in a shift. Doohan also couldn't be faulted, but other than that I thought the rest were either really poor or not involved.

It's not all down to just Shankland either as the problems run far deeper than that, We haven't played well for weeks and the fast effortless flowing football which was present at the start of the season now seems a long, long, way away.

It's actually amazing how the same group of players can go from looking like Championship champions elect with great careers ahead of them all to League 1 journeymen and sadly after watching that utter dross today, that's exactly what they looked like to me..................

There's something definitely wrong with player's like harvie, the fact that he wasn't getting game time at the start of the season says a lot. But there's too many players who dont seem to care.

There's something definitely wrong with player's like harvie, the fact that he wasn't getting game time at the start of the season says a lot. But there's too many players who dont seem to care.

Harvie only got dropped for a couple of games after his 2nd sending off. He played every game until then.

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Apparently Harvie at the end said to one of our supporters who was obviously giving him abuse 'f**k up and support the team'.

Good, it’s a shocking result but some of the stuff from our fans was pathetic as usual. Not as bad as a lot of other weeks like last week at Inverness but still poor. Understand folk getting seething watching that, but don’t hand out abuse if you are going to cry like a baby at taking it back.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Apparently Harvie at the end said to one of our supporters who was obviously giving him abuse 'f**k up and support the team'.

If he did, fair play to him. We do have some absolute roasters among our support that know nothing but negativity. 
The SRE is a prime example just now, absolute heeds gone stuff on there at the moment. 

On the Moore debate, he looked a player absolutely devoid of confidence. Feel a bit sorry for him in some respects, the question is how do you get his confidence back and is it salvageable at our club given some sections of our support are waiting to jump on his back. I'm by no means saying he's the man to lead us to the title, but he showed he could find the back of the net last season so there is a player in there somewhere. 

All in all, now the dust has settled I'm not actually that upset about being out of the cup. In some ways it is an unwanted distraction when our squad is ravaged by injuries, the less games the better. We've humlbed plenty of teams in the cup over the past couple of decades so maybe it was our turn today. 

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

If he did, fair play to him. We do have some absolute roasters among our support that know nothing but negativity. 
The SRE is a prime example just now, absolute heeds gone stuff on there at the moment. 

On the Moore debate, he looked a player absolutely devoid of confidence. Feel a bit sorry for him in some respects, the question is how do you get his confidence back and is it salvageable at our club given some sections of our support are waiting to jump on his back. I'm by no means saying he's the man to lead us to the title, but he showed he could find the back of the net last season so there is a player in there somewhere. 

All in all, now the dust has settled I'm not actually that upset about being out of the cup. In some ways it is an unwanted distraction when our squad is ravaged by injuries, the less games the better. We've humlbed plenty of teams in the cup over the past couple of decades so maybe it was our turn today. 

There’s a hard truth with Moore that is getting harder to avoid.  He simply hasn’t been the same player since his head injury.  Before, he seemed to enjoy a physical battle with defenders and really put himself about.  The confidence to do that isn’t there anymore and there isn’t enough to the rest of his game to compensate.