The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

15 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

McCall just said McGuffie will probably be going out on loan. Stunned at that.

I don't understand why he's not been given more of a chance, anytime he comes on he injects urgency into the team, he's more direct and generally makes something happen whether that be that he's fouled or he gets a shot away or he wins us a corner etc, personally I much prefer him playing wide to Crawford as he just seems to achieve more.

I don't understand why he's not been given more of a chance, anytime he comes on he injects urgency into the team, he's more direct and generally makes something happen whether that be that he's fouled or he gets a shot away or he wins us a corner etc, personally I much prefer him playing wide to Crawford as he just seems to achieve more.
Urgency is a big factor here.

In my opinion, when we are struggling to break a team down, that is when we need younger, fitter, faster players who are competent on the ball.

Forrest for a while was losing the ball, running into players and play would be broken up and we would lose possession and be under pressure, but he seems to have lost that last bit of his game, thankfully.

Surely McGuffie gives us a bit of that too?

I'd play him more than he has been.

Think Robbie has been disappointing but as a lot of people say, play him in his preferred position.

If you look back at some of the highlights from earlier in the season we have the players and had the system to trouble anyone.

As soon as they catch on to what we are up to it can be a lot more difficult and is that not when we need someone with a but if guile, trickery, call it what you will.

I believe that if we keep it on the deck, play through the middle from Murdoch to Kerr to Moff. Diagonal balls up to Shanks at the corners of the 18 yard box. Have McGuffie and McDaid pounding the wings and getting decent cross balls cut backs, we are sorted.

2 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Urgency is a big factor here.

In my opinion, when we are struggling to break a team down, that is when we need younger, fitter, faster players who are competent on the ball.

Forrest for a while was losing the ball, running into players and play would be broken up and we would lose possession and be under pressure, but he seems to have lost that last bit of his game, thankfully.

Surely McGuffie gives us a bit of that too?

I'd play him more than he has been.

Think Robbie has been disappointing but as a lot of people say, play him in his preferred position.

If you look back at some of the highlights from earlier in the season we have the players and had the system to trouble anyone.

As soon as they catch on to what we are up to it can be a lot more difficult and is that not when we need someone with a but if guile, trickery, call it what you will.

I believe that if we keep it on the deck, play through the middle from Murdoch to Kerr to Moff. Diagonal balls up to Shanks at the corners of the 18 yard box. Have McGuffie and McDaid pounding the wings and getting decent cross balls cut backs, we are sorted.

Yes, Robbie is generally good when played in the middle but McGuffie brings far more of an attacking threat when he plays wide rather than Robbie and it just seems that McCall wants to get him in the team irrespective.

I also felt pretty sorry for Moore the past coupe of games as his game is more penalty box finishing, however we didn't get the ball in the box very often and we also haven't been shooting from distance which would also benefit the likes of Moore following up.

The tippy tappy Barca stuff is great to watch when it all comes off (missing Forrest in this respect), however when we slow it down and lose the movement and start the slow sideways and backwards stuff then we need a different plan, if that means getting the ball wide to McDaid and the likes of Guffie to play like old fashion wingers then that's exactly what we should be trying to do. We managed it at Tannadice and ran riot, so I don't see any reason why we don't try this more often, especially away from home when there's much more space in behind.

There’s two issue for me with McGuffie.

He has zero problems beating the full back and either going inside or outside when he’s on the edge of the box his finishing is pretty dire. Apart from 2 goals vs QP last season he very rarely scores from that position.

The other one you could apply to McDaid as well, he very rarely starts a game well. All his best performances have come off the bench and whenever he starts he’s normally hooked after an hour or so.

For me he needs to play 15-20 games consecutively without being dropped no matter how good or bad he is. It’s impossible for us to do that as we’re in a position where we need to win almost every game.

Loaning him out to a mid table league one side would be ideal as there’s no real risk involved and he’d instantly be a first choice pick. A loan to Stranraer would be ideal imo.

We've got a very small squad at the moment and with Forrest out we're especially short in the attacking department, loaning out a guy who's in our squad every week and who definitely has something to offer seems very strange unless of course we have a replacement / replacements lined up.

Should the worst happen and McDaid was to pick up an injury that would be us with nothing up top other than Shankland, Moore & Moffat, unless the likes of McCowan is seen as ready to step up ??

We've got a very small squad at the moment and with Forrest out we're especially short in the attacking department, loaning out a guy who's in our squad every week and who definitely has something to offer seems very strange unless of course we have a replacement / replacements lined up.
Should the worst happen and McDaid was to pick up an injury that would be us with nothing up top other than Shankland, Moore & Moffat, unless the likes of McCowan is seen as ready to step up ??

We do only play with one out and out winger though as Geggan has taken up the wide right slot.

If McGuffie is being loaned out then someone else will be arriving at the same time. Either the lad from Raith or someone else.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We do only play with one out and out winger though as Geggan has taken up the wide right slot.

If McGuffie is being loaned out then someone else will be arriving at the same time. Either the lad from Raith or someone else.

That will hopefully be fine if the replacement is an improvement on McGuffie.

I do get your point though that his end product is often pretty poor but I do think there's serious potential there and hopefully getting regular football elsewhere will bring him on.

What we don't want to happen though is another one of our release screw ups where he comes back to seriously haunt us in the future.............

If Shankland out we could do with Moore getting at least a couple to get his confidence up, need a good team performance and a great day for the strikers before getting back to two massive league games. Hopefully if Shankland was close to fitness he will be ok in another week. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Literally just posted on his Instagram that he’s in the gym.

Also the guy on Facebook said he was at Somerset. The players don’t train at Somerset so how could he have seen him leaving training.

He was training up in Glasgow, with his ayr top and ayr shorts on

3 minutes ago, Naeleftfit said:

If Shankland out we could do with Moore getting at least a couple to get his confidence up, need a good team performance and a great day for the strikers before getting back to two massive league games. Hopefully if Shankland was close to fitness he will be ok in another week. 

If we get the ball to Moore in the box he'll score goals as he's proven time and time again, however if we have him dropping deep with 3 and 4 defenders ahead of him then he's just not going to do it.

He's a totally different type of player to Shankland and when he's playing as our number 9 we need to adapt our style to suit him otherwise it's a waste of time.