The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If Trouten is the answer, god knows what is the question? Hes been underwhelming every time in an Ayr shirt.

Its a good shout as to why the interviewer didnt ask McCall about new signings or why McCall didnt mention it. I'm hoping its because we are doing our business in private and not because we wont be signing anyone.

Trouten is a top end League 1 player but only if you build the rest of the team around him like Albion Rovers and Brechin did in the past.

There shouldn’t be any serious suggestions of signing for him given how underwhelming he has been for us in the past.

However I do maintain that had McCall played him as a number 10 with either Moore or Preston in front of him we’d have seen the best of him in the 15/16 season.

Embarrassing if Cameron doesn’t put in a wee bit of money to allow us to bring in two or three players. 
Cameron has put plenty of money in over the years.

This is where we are. He trusts McCall, and it appears to be mutual.

I certainly don't want a silly spending spree if it's going to weaken us in the longer term.

Troutens a no, we certainly don't need to panic, but quietly and confidently strengthen, maybe that's a couple out or on loan and 2/3 in, surely that can't break the bank. We must have budgeted for out the cups first round no glamour games at Ibrox(tongue in cheek for that vile place) and for being at best 8th in the league with crowds of no more than 2 thousand, all have been easily surpassed, so come on do a wee bit of business and go for it, we're not miles away from doing this.  

In the piece on Cameron in the Times he did say the club will be self sufficient from now on but he did also say the playing budget is a separate pot of money.

So basically everything at the club will be run on it’s own means but there’s still potential for the playing budget to be funded by Cameron and other sources like the AU 500.

10 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

It’s  scary reading some of the utter drivel spouted on these pages after 1 bad result.  We were missing 4 key players yesterday including our best player.   Kerr clearly wasn’t fit either and judging by McCalls comments only started because Docherty was struggling with a hamstring strain.  Last time I checked we were 3 points off the top with a game in hand.  

Rising expectations is a good thing, but is no justification for some of the heads gone lack of perspective.   Comments about a lack of ambition are embarrassing and nothing but pure ignorance.  Reverting to part time after the Barr era blighted the club for a decade.  But through good stewardship and management we stepped back to full time football 18 months ago which has been transformational for the club.  We currently have 3 Scotland under 21s playing for us.  When did that last (ever) happen?  We’ve also spent the last year watching the best striker the club has had in over 40 years.  How we retained him in the Summer is beyond me, but it certainly wasn’t a lack of ambition from the club that persuaded him to stay.   Murdoch and Smith have also been outstanding additions who would never have signed for us on part time terms.

Cameron is on record as saying he will try to find money for signings in January if we’re still in the hunt.  His record as chairman demonstrates that we can trust what he says, whatever the ups and downs.  My suspicion is that the club is mostly focussed on resolving the Shankland situation one way or another at the moment.  Our Achilles heel at the moment is a lack of quality in the wide areas.  I’m sure McCall is fully aware of that and will try to address  it.  

Also worth commenting on the crowd.  2200 home fans yesterday.  That’s not far off a 50% uplift on where we were 3 or 4 seasons ago and takes us back to attendance figures we haven’t seen since the late 90s.

In summary, there are a few who need to get a f***** grip.

Great post,

See what happens when expectations rise... 

Personally, I think there should be a steward's enquiry after Saturday and I hope the gaffer gave the players a kick up the @rse. 

Losing our unbeaten home record to a team bottom of the league deserves attention. To attempt to explain it away or gloss over it is a mistake.

You would think the Cameron years at Ayr have been one long period of success to read the rubbish posted by some on here. This is the first season in their entire tenure where an argument could be made that we’re overachieving.

Last season was great and Lachlan deserves the plaudits for backing McCall. Similarly, he backed him in summer. Maybe experience is improving his judgement? However, this is the regime that took Ayr United from being an established second tier side (with ambitions to be more) to a side that has struggled to stay in the second tier for more than a season at a time.

We were relegated under Reid due to the lack of investment in January (two youths on loan from Blackpool & an unemployed striker was all the backing he got for delivering a League Cup semi final and Scottish Cup quarter final). We know how that ended. I’m not suggesting we’re about to be relegated - we’re clearly not - but let’s not make the same mistake again by failing to invest sensibly when we have the chance to kick on.

See what happens when expectations rise... 
Personally, I think there should be a steward's enquiry after Saturday and I hope the gaffer gave the players a kick up the @rse. 
Losing our unbeaten home record to a team bottom of the league deserves attention. To attempt to explain it away or gloss over it is a mistake.
McCall defended the players quite strongly in the postmatch press conference, but I'll be amazed if he thought our general build up play was ok.

He mentioned the state of the pitch, which was undoubtedly poor and he also (rightly) mentioned the injury situation.

But we're playing far too slow. I don't think it's an issue of poor quality players, I just think they're trying to play at a slow, methodical tempo. We need to get the ball out wide much quicker, and encourage mcdaid and whoever is on the other side to attack. It's ok to lose the ball sometimes because that often leads to the opposition opening up (our best chance yesterday came from a poor Crawford pass, which he won back, allowing us to attack whilst Falkirk players were still streaming forward).

There was a huge difference in tempo from 0-0 and 0-1 yesterday, and we looked far more threatening when we fell behind. Yes some of the deliveries were weak and some of the finishing was poor - but I'd much rather see us play with that sense of urgency, right from the start.

They're all sensible and rational points in that post. Do you have anything to counter them or are you just settling for name-calling?

Here you go then, in short for you since you asked. Even though I might not agree with some views posted here, however outlandish they are, I'm not so full of myself, or think that I'm such an expert that I'd resort to calling others opinions drivel, pure ignorance and telling them to get a grip, in such detail.

You however might have no problem with that.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Here you go then, in short for you since you asked. Even though I might not agree with some views posted here, however outlandish they are, I'm not so full of myself, or think that I'm such an expert that I'd resort to calling others opinions drivel, pure ignorance and telling them to get a grip, in such detail.

You however might have no problem with that.

If a job’s worth doing, do it properly.  If you disagree, then feel free to point out why.  Or don’t bother.  It’s sort of the point of a discussion forum.

Besides, if I have to read your pish, you can read mine.

3 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

If a job’s worth doing, do it properly.  If you disagree, then feel free to point out why.  Or don’t bother.  It’s sort of the point of a discussion forum.

Besides, if I have to read your pish, you can read mine.

We'll all read to each others pish then.  Although I'll choose to do  mine with a little less whiff of superiority. and denigration of fellow Ayr fans.

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There was a huge difference in tempo from 0-0 and 0-1 yesterday, and we looked far more threatening when we fell behind. Yes some of the deliveries were weak and some of the finishing was poor - but I'd much rather see us play with that sense of urgency, right from the start.

Totally agree with this and I dont know why we have reverted to playing Crawford on the wing (he is anonymous there!) better to play McGuffie (on the right) and have Robbie in the middle or on the bench.

Its so frustrating watching Harvie come forward with Crawford not running down the line and either remaining stationary and/or cutting in. When he does get the ball and Harvie overlaps Crawford ends up passing inside. A left winger he is not. I actually feel for McGuffie he must get pretty demoralised watching Crawford playing there whilst he warms the bench.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

It’s  scary reading some of the utter drivel spouted on these pages after 1 bad result.  We were missing 4 key players yesterday including our best player.   Kerr clearly wasn’t fit either and judging by McCalls comments only started because Docherty was struggling with a hamstring strain.  Last time I checked we were 3 points off the top with a game in hand.  

Rising expectations is a good thing, but is no justification for some of the heads gone lack of perspective.   Comments about a lack of ambition are embarrassing and nothing but pure ignorance.  Reverting to part time after the Barr era blighted the club for a decade.  But through good stewardship and management we stepped back to full time football 18 months ago which has been transformational for the club.  We currently have 3 Scotland under 21s playing for us.  When did that last (ever) happen?  We’ve also spent the last year watching the best striker the club has had in over 40 years.  How we retained him in the Summer is beyond me, but it certainly wasn’t a lack of ambition from the club that persuaded him to stay.   Murdoch and Smith have also been outstanding additions who would never have signed for us on part time terms.

Cameron is on record as saying he will try to find money for signings in January if we’re still in the hunt.  His record as chairman demonstrates that we can trust what he says, whatever the ups and downs.  My suspicion is that the club is mostly focussed on resolving the Shankland situation one way or another.  Our Achilles heel at the moment is a lack of quality in the wide areas.  I’m sure McCall is fully aware of that and will try to address  it.  

Also worth commenting on the crowd.  2200 home fans yesterday.  That’s not far off a 50% uplift on where we were 3 or 4 seasons ago and takes us back to attendance figures we haven’t seen since the late 90s.

In summary, there are a few who need to get a f***** grip.

Excellent post .

Tbh everyone crying about the current form that Ayr are in seriously if we were to win our game in hand over county we will be top of the league. The league this year is one of the closest I remember for years Ayr, Ross county and Dundee utd will all still be battling for the league going into the last couple of games so I won't complain about that.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Totally agree with this and I dont know why we have reverted to playing Crawford on the wing (he is anonymous there!) better to play McGuffie (on the right) and have Robbie in the middle or on the bench.

Its so frustrating watching Harvie come forward with Crawford not running down the line and either remaining stationary and/or cutting in. When he does get the ball and Harvie overlaps Crawford ends up passing inside. A left winger he is not. I actually feel for McGuffie he must get pretty demoralised watching Crawford playing there whilst he warms the bench.

Robbie won't be put on the bench,  he's one of McCall's starters. There's a case to be made  that he's played  on the left so often that this shouldn't really be an issue anymore, it's not like he doesn't have any experience there and  I've seen him play well there.