The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If we are serious about making a title challenge then some  new signings are a must. We have about 6/7 players who are top end of the league quality and a few steady others. If our top players all play then we can beat anyone. Once injuries and suspensions kick in we don’t have sufficient depth to maintain  a long term challenge. We have also been quite fortunate that our key players have started the bulk of our games. Still hanging in there as other teams not fully firing however I expect at least one to get their act together soon.  At the start of the season many were expecting a relegation fight and much of our squad still reflects this. As we don’t have cash to splash then maybe some loan signings or wheeling n dealing are needed. Either way we still have had and will ending up having a really good season. Just depends how good we want it to be and can only work within our means 

No dig at the players at all, but we're very stale now and have been for 2 months with exception of Tannadice and first half RC. The lads need a lift it's 3 in for me ,our centre mid provides no goals, so a forward driving centre mid, a something different wide player/maverick number 10 and also another striker, Morton away apart Moore isn't cutting it just now at the top half of this league. Crawford can't play wide left it's nonsense that our coaching staff can't see this , even yesterday he was much better going centre, it also impacts McDaid who is far less dangerous on the right. Our defence is fine so no need to strengthen there. 3 players is obviously a big ask, but surely we can do some dealing and to help with this I would also let Ferguson and Docherty go , which I know is tough on Doc because he's been decent last 2 weeks, but we simply need better quality in, to sustain this challenge. If we do the usual Ayr thing and let these performances drift on we will very quickly get caught by the other clubs who are all out improving their squads. We're the best team on our day in this league lets not waste this opportunity and go for their throats and win this league. BTW we'll batter Talbot

We seem to be carrying a few injuries, 4 in the stand and according to the manager we also had a couple of late fitness tests before the game which in itself means they were not at full potential but putting themselves through it for the team. We don’t have the money that the DUtd and RC can throw at it and even Falkirk, so we have to hope we get through this period without any more casualties 

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Imo next week would be the ideal time to have been playing Talbot. Go out and rattle 3 or 4 goals past a team and get a bit of confidence back.

Or create f**k all for 90 minutes and maybe deserve a replay.

One league win and eight points in two months.

Yesterday just proved to me that Shankland is more than just a player than can put a ball in a net. Moore isn't necessarily a bad player but doesn't have the all round ability that Shankland has, despite being built like a Amatuer wrestler, he cannot see key passes and assists that Shankland seems to make out of nothing. 

I hope that Mccall gets a wee bit of dosh for this month. A couple of new faces wouldn't go a miss. It's important that Ayr get someone who can play on the right. 

Alloa seem to be getting a few goals out of Alan Trouten. Could we be lucky at Ayr and sign him for a third time? Or is he Alloas equivalent to Shankland? Surely he Can't be that pricey. 

Trouten > Cardle IMO. 

League's and promotion's are won on sometimes grinding out narrow victories whilst not at your best, that's where we're struggling, the great results and performances of Tannadice and earlier in the season are fading, time to move on, it's a mistake we keep making time after time, the Templeton Sludden show only took us so far, the great Killie cup wins were great but had no lasting effect other than bragging rights, time to be a proper club and keep building and go up, so we can look at the Tannadice result as something that isn't out the norm, be ruthless for the club's sake, some have peaked and struggling to cut it, move them out and get better in, this is still a great chance for us, they should however go with many thanks and I'am not advocating a major kill, just a few fringe players to help get 2 or preferably 3 in. 

4 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Yesterday just proved to me that Shankland is more than just a player than can put a ball in a net. Moore isn't necessarily a bad player but doesn't have the all round ability that Shankland has, despite being built like a Amatuer wrestler, he cannot see key passes and assists that Shankland seems to make out of nothing. 

I hope that Mccall gets a wee bit of dosh for this month. A couple of new faces wouldn't go a miss. It's important that Ayr get someone who can play on the right. 

Alloa seem to be getting a few goals out of Alan Trouten. Could we be lucky at Ayr and sign him for a third time? Or is he Alloas equivalent to Shankland? Surely he Can't be that pricey. 

Trouten > Cardle IMO. 

Are you advocating the club forking out a transfer for Alan Trouten? For f**k’s sake.

League's and promotion's are won on sometimes grinding out narrow victories whilst not at your best, that's where we're struggling, the great results and performances of Tannadice and earlier in the season are fading, time to move on, it's a mistake we keep making time after time, the Templeton Sludden show only took us so far, the great Killie cup wins were great but had no lasting effect other than bragging rights, time to be a proper club and keep building and go up, so we can look at the Tannadice result as something that isn't out the norm, be ruthless for the club's sake, some have peaked and struggling to cut it, move them out and get better in, this is still a great chance for us, they should however go with many thanks and I'am not advocating a major kill, just a few fringe players to help get 2 or preferably 3 in. 

We were grinding out wins whilst not playing well for example Falkirk and Partick Thistle away.

The way we played yesterday was similar to the way Ross County played on Friday night. Couldn’t break the team down as they were too slow and the final ball wasn’t good enough. If teams are going to sit in against us then you need to have players that are going to cut teams apart. We don’t have that, we’ve got players who are comfortable soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the counter.

25 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Are you advocating the club forking out a transfer for Alan Trouten? For f**k’s sake.

Not at all, though he would fill the gap on the right. Trouten has scored a few so far, though at the age of 33, a younger player would be preferred. Of course, there are probably better players who could play on the right that could be acquired by Ayr, though I can't think of any :-/

Liam Caddis from Hurlford, David Smith from Stranraer. Both have played at a higher level and might fit in at Somerset as fringe/secondary players.  Callum Tapping from Brechin wouldnt be too bad. Again, these are all lower league players and would have to take a big step up to turn out for Ayr. 

Edited by Roxanne's man

56 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It was some fucking win though. Still buzzing thinking of it just now! 

That's the problem, we've been haemorrhaging points ever since that performance, it's well past the time for Ayr to be looking at staying up, top 4 etc, we either need to start showing the mindset to win the league on the pitch and terraces or we just let Shankland & Co go and settle for 7th or 8th, I think we've a great chance of winning this league, not convinced enough at Ayr or within the fanbase truly believe the same, "oh great, I thought we'd be in the relegation therefore we'll not be too critical of poor performances/performers" appears to be the mindset of the majority, we need more to win this.

Why has McCall not mentioned in his interviews about new signings? Actually why has no one asked him about potential new signings? Does he have any budget left? Is he waiting to see if Shankland leaves?
Because there's not going to be any. I'd be amazed if there's any money left to bring in a player of decent quality, unless McCall unearths another hidden gem that would take up Fergusons wage.

16 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:
Why has McCall not mentioned in his interviews about new signings? Actually why has no one asked him about potential new signings? Does he have any budget left? Is he waiting to see if Shankland leaves?

Because there's not going to be any. I'd be amazed if there's any money left to bring in a player of decent quality, unless McCall unearths another hidden gem that would take up Fergusons wage.

Embarrassing if Cameron doesn’t put in a wee bit of money to allow us to bring in two or three players. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Embarrassing if Cameron doesn’t put in a wee bit of money to allow us to bring in two or three players. 

He's  already said he's not gonna and the club has to run off it's own steam from now on.  As much as I'd like to see new players , if there's simply no money left then we'll just have to get on with it. Don't want to see the club go down the road of so many others.

Should be trying to limit injuries within the squad in the absence of bringing in new players, as they all seem to be happening off the pitch. Whether it's changes to training or how they recover I  dunno, but that's an aspect Livi paid a lot of  attention to last season and it worked for them.

I'm pretty sure Cameron went on record earlier in the season saying that if we were in a realistic position of promotion then funds could be made available. If Forrest is out long term then irrespective of whether we keep Shankland we're still going to need a replacement for Forrest and that should be a major priority.

I'm not quite in panic mode yet as all our rivals are having similar problems to ourselves, probably because there's not much between any of the teams, however we set a standard for ourselves at the start of the season and unfortunately we've fallen below that in recent weeks, so maybe we do need freshening up or a change of tactics / strategy.

Unlike others, I'm still not convinced Shankland would have made a huge difference yesterday as he HAS been playing the last few weeks when we've run into similar problems as yesterday, ie, lack of creativity.

Again, it's a fine lines thing, had moffats shot gone in rather than hit the post, if Doohan had managed to push the shot round the post and if Bell or someone else had stuck it in the net near the end then we would actually have stolen a march on our title rivals, but of course we didn't.................

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

Trouten > Cardle IMO. 

This would be a truly disastrous route to go down imho, however if we have no money available then surely we should be looking to use our connections to bring in a young creative player on loan from the likes of Celtic or Aberdeen ??

I'm sure Ayr's style of play would suit a young Rodgers recruit and of course Doohan is already here, or if Aberdeen have another promising youngster then Ayr could be a perfect fit with the good relationship between our Managers, in addition with us already having Harvie and Rose here, it would make it far easier for someone to settle you'd think.

The fact we're at the top end of the table, with a well respected Manager and playing good football would surely have us as an attractive proposition one would think.

Of course the above comes with the caveat that any potential new recruits will improve our team, otherwise it's a complete waste of time.