The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

15 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

Radio Scotland spent nearly half an hour talking up Steve Clarke and Killie doing a Leicester.  Could see it coming....

:lol:

The media is desperate. All through the thrashing they took yesterday the radio commentary went out of its way to avoid the fact that they're a mediocre team that has been unusually fortunate. They won't finish within ten points of first place and probably closer to twenty back.

11 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Since January is looming upon us would anyone take Kevin Nisbet back? 

I didn’t think he was as bad as others made out when he was with us but no I wouldn’t take him back. Seems to be enjoying his football at Raith and that’s exactly what he needs at his age.

The only player I would take from Raith is young Daniel Armstrong. He’s from Ayr, we tried to sign him on loan the same time as Jack Ruddy but Wolves wanted him loaned to a club in the Championship and he eventually went to Dunfermline. He has since been released from Wolves and signed a short term deal with Raith. 

Jamie Adams saying that Shankland is a better player than Dobbie take it he must have been joking 

Shankland is a good player at our level but it will interesting to see how he gets on at a higher level of football maybe in 10 years time if Shankland has had as good a career as Dobbie then maybe you can match them up but not right now .

If Swansea  offer £200,000 Ayr have to take that you can't turn down that kind of money when you will lose him for nothing in the summer we lost Dobbie to Swansea for nothing 10 years ago 

Jamie Adams saying that Shankland is a better player than Dobbie take it he must have been joking 
Shankland is a good player at our level but it will interesting to see how he gets on at a higher level of football maybe in 10 years time if Shankland has had as good a career as Dobbie then maybe you can match them up but not right now .
If Swansea  offer £200,000 Ayr have to take that you can't turn down that kind of money when you will lose him for nothing in the summer we lost Dobbie to Swansea for nothing 10 years ago 

Of course you can compare them and for me Shankland is a better player.

And no we don’t need to take any money for him. Would rather lose him for nothing at the end of the season than lose him now for a small fee.

Hope this helps.

If you're comparing them in this point in time you'd say Shankland. Only a fool would disagree, Shankland is what 13 years younger than Dobbie?

In terms of who has had the better career its Dobbie but Shankland has time on his side given his age. 

If Jamie was saying the former he is correct, if the later it's too early to tell but I think Shankland will go far in the game.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

If Swansea  offer £200,000 Ayr have to take that you can't turn down that kind of money when you will lose him for nothing in the summer we lost Dobbie to Swansea for nothing 10 years ago.

We can and we will.

He will not be sold for £200k in January unless he is loaned back. 

22 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If you're comparing them in this point in time you'd say Shankland. Only a fool would disagree, Shankland is what 13 years younger than Dobbie?

In terms of who has had the better career its Dobbie but Shankland has time on his side given his age. 

If Jamie was saying the former he is correct, if the later it's too early to tell but I think Shankland will go far in the game.

Well no, I would say the opposite. If you are comparing them right now Dobbie is the better player. However Shankland is what 24, 23? Dobbie is 36. There is no doubt with Shankland they are buying the potential to get better. With Dobbie he has most likely one year left. 

It depends what you are comparing too. As an overall footballer I would have Dobbie well ahead. As a goalscorer, not much in it, Shankland might be better, and certainly might get better.

To be fair, unlike any of us, Adams has played with both of them and is well placed to judge. Against that, he never played with the "fit" Dobbie we have now. He never played with the pretty fit one we had for the 6 months before he left us either. He played with the "fat" Dobbie. And he is also inevitably likely to be biased towards his current teammate. 

They are pretty clearly both head and shoulders above the rest of the division though and for different reasons both sets of fans are lucky to have them here. We should make the best of it while they are.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They are pretty clearly both head and shoulders above the rest of the division though and for different reasons both sets of fans are lucky to have them here. We should make the best of it while they are.

Agree with that. ;)

Pretty pointless comparing Shankland and Dobbie at this stage, I think people would be better just enjoying having these two class acts in this league.

All the talk of Shankland heading to England, imo Dobbie could easily still be playing at whatever level Shanks goes to, and as a strike partnership.

Edit: just seen Skyline Drifters post [emoji51]

Get £200,000 for a player  or get nothing 6 month later surely any club in our league would take that deal.

Nope. Keeping him may bring in far more in combined gate and prize money. If Ayr stay top of the league crowds will increase as we near the end of the season. A bit of a balancing act but I assume Ayr have done the calculations and have a figure in mind.

Get £200,000 for a player  or get nothing 6 month later surely any club in our league would take that deal.

Not for a club with a good chance of promotion. Selling him in January and we’d be fighting to stay in the playoffs. Keep him and fight for the title.