The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Celtic now reportedly interested in Shankland. Considering the deal they did with St Mirren last year for Morgan that’s quite promising for us.

Ross Doohan, Johnny Hayes & £500k and they can have him.....................

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Celtic now reportedly interested in Shankland. Considering the deal they did with St Mirren last year for Morgan that’s quite promising for us.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Ross Doohan, Johnny Hayes & £500k and they can have him.....................

If they would let us keep Doohan and loan Shankland back that would be a great piece of business.

In my opinion, as long as Ayr United don't have any big debts to pay off, they would be daft to agree a deal which meant Shankland not staying with them until the end of the season. This is likely the biggest chance they will have in the foreseeable future to make it into the Premiership, and as much as they have other good players, I'm not sure they could achieve that without Shankland.

Yeah just saw Jim Spence saying this on twitter, boys obviously a blue nose but if he was to go to a club in Scotland celtic would be his better choice.

Yeah just saw Jim Spence saying this on twitter, boys obviously a blue nose but if he was to go to a club in Scotland celtic would be his better choice.

Yeah can’t see him being silly enough to pass that up just because he supports Rangers. Plenty of Rangers fans in the past have signed for Celtic and been very successful.

Also if he goes there and does well then he’ll get a move to teams above Championship level.

I don't remember this sort of hoo ha around Gary Teale and I'm too young to remember the McInally and Stevie Nicol situations.

Obviously no transfer windows and gossip was done via the Daily Record & Sun, but even still, was it like this ???

Yeah can’t see him being silly enough to pass that up just because he supports Rangers. Plenty of Rangers fans in the past have signed for Celtic and been very successful.

Also if he goes there and does well then he’ll get a move to teams above Championship level.
If I was a player if be looking at the amount of players who have left celtic to go on to big money moves down south and think if I do well that could be me, Celtic will also be likely impresesed with how Doohan is doing so if this does happen may be another reason why we might get him back until the end of the season.

Just now, Superhursy7 said:
4 minutes ago, D said:

If I was a player if be looking at the amount of players who have left celtic to go on to big money moves down south and think if I do well that could be me, Celtic will also be likely impresesed with how Doohan is doing so if this does happen may be another reason why we might get him back until the end of the season.

I've mentioned this in past threads, however I'm sure our style of play won't be lost on Brendan Rodgers which should put us in a fine position if there's any promising Celtic youngsters looking to develop via 1st team football.

I'm not generally a huge advocate of taking on Loan players, however if they're of a very high standard with a similar work ethic then there's definitely a place for 1 or 2 at our club, however I wouldn't want anymore than that.

I don't really see any sort of "Loan Back" happening, as I'm pretty sure that if he leaves in January it will be to the likes of Swansea or Sunderland who will be looking to utilise him immediately for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I don't remember this sort of hoo ha around Gary Teale and I'm too young to remember the McInally and Stevie Nicol situations.

Obviously no transfer windows and gossip was done via the Daily Record & Sun, but even still, was it like this ???

Rangers were mugs with regard to Nichol, £50k cost them a player that Liverpool utilised for a decade and a half.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:
Read somewhere we would only be 3 points worse off if u took shanklands goals away .more than a one man band

Makes complete sense to take the most money for him then.

Makes sense for the boy to move to the team/manager that he thinks will improve his career long term, he's never earned big bucks so earning a wee bit less at a club that fits his style should be his aim, bonus for him if that club is the biggest payers as well.

Edited by ayrmad

Only thing about a move to Celtic is that he could end up like Morgan, barely getting a game. More money sure, but I want to see Shankland playing wherever he decides to go after us.
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Morgan had been injured most of the season, but I agree I'd rather he went to a club that will play him week in and week out and soon be celebrating his goals for Scotland

Teale was good but nowhere near as devastating, or consistent. There was a lot of press speculation around him too.

I'm definitely too young to remember the lads in the 80s.

20 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'd rather he went to a club that will play him week in and week out and soon be celebrating his goals for Scotland

Same. How often have we seen talented young Scottish players sign for either Rangers and Celtic and end up warming benches?

I genuinely believe that Shankland will be playing for Scotland (not necessarily first-choice, but certainly in the squad) within a couple of years IF he gets to play regularly at a higher level.

2 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Same. How often have we seen talented young Scottish players sign for either Rangers and Celtic and end up warming benches?

I genuinely believe that Shankland will be playing for Scotland (not necessarily first-choice, but certainly in the squad) within a couple of years IF he gets to play regularly at a higher level.

If Shankland gets a move to any English Championship club or the Old Firm and manages to get a game, then we can rest assured that he will be in the Scotland squad for the Euro qualifiers.

Let's face it, we're not exactly blessed in the striking department at the moment and nobody in the current squads will be playing at a higher level.

On 02/12/2018 at 10:47, ftk said:

It would be a redeveloped Dam Park which Ayr Rugby Club are in advanced talks to take over so splitting costs with Ayr Utd could make sense. Lachlan is always moaning about the maintenance costs of Somerset.

That's because there is something to maintain at Somerset.

And while the majority of their supporters might drive BMWs, the rugby club are semi-pro. Much like the football team, if they had enough money to go turning Dam Park into the Emirates then they'd be putting it on the playing budget first.

As for Shankland: anyone who pays the slightest attention to what the pack of venal alcoholic shitheads that are the Scottish football press has to say about the matter must have been born yesterday. If McCall has any sense he'll have banned him from so much as looking up scores on his phone.