The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Agree, I don't think we need to bring anyone in, unless of course we lose players which is completely another matter.

As for Crawford, there's no doubt he splits opinion among the fans, I'm in the take him or leave him category but he must be doing something right as although his blunders tend to be magnified (such as Cappielow) we do play nice possession football when he's in the team and I'm pretty sure that would not be possible with a dumpling/passenger in midfield.

I think the biggest problem he has is he rarely tackles his man and runs alongside him which annoys many of our fans and sometimes he can frustrate with the ball at his feet as instead of driving forward (which he's good at), he has an awful habit of stopping and turning back the way, which again infuriates lots of the fans.

I think Robbie' biggest problem is his need to touch the ball ten times over a 5 yard distance, he should let the ball do the work when there's space in front of him.

28 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I don’t think anyone has really pinned down the wide areas for Ayr this season.  I think only McDaid and McGuffie are out and out wide players so if we could pick up an experienced winger  it would be well worth it. It’s particularly noticeable when we take out Moffat’s link up play that the wide players aren’t giving us enough going forward.  That said, I thought Forrest and Smith played really well together on a Saturday.  

Although I'd agree about nobody "pinning down", I'd say that's a good thing rather than a bad thing, simply because all our options are good options as opposed to them all being bad options.

All the years I've supported Ayr, I honestly can't remember a time when we've had about 18 players of which any can be played and none of the "reserves" actually weaken the team. In fact nobody really knows or can agree what our best 11 actually is. Do we play Rose & Bell or Rose & Adams or even Adams & Bell ? or is it Moffat & Shankland or Shankland & Moore and then we have the discussion over Crawford, Forrest, McDaid, Geggan, McGuffie all fighting over 2 starting positions. Even Kerr is expendable, in fact I'd say that Ross Doohan, Liam Smith, Andy Murdoch & Lawrence Shankland are our only certain starters when fit and probably Michael Rose. 

We've then got Doc & Higgins who can't even get on as a sub or make the bench and maybe they'd actually strengthen us coming into a winning team ??

Most importantly though, we appear to have an excellent dressing room with a bunch of lads who all get on with each other and another worry would be bringing someone in who doesn't fit in or rocks the boat and that's definitely not worth it. Moreover, with our budget and availability of players I'd doubt we'd find anyone who would improve on what we already have.

Don’t think we should be expecting much in the way of incoming players in January but keeping those we have is key. We know Shankland will be gone in the summer but I’d be considering extensions for Rose, Murdoch and Smith and see if they bite.

As far as new signings go, the only thing I think we lack is a target man if we needed to change tactics. Shankland does a lot of his own hard work so might be an option to take some of the load off at times.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-announce-scottish-cup-broadcasting-deals/?rid=2107

Looks as if Sky has lost rights to Scottish Cup games.

BBC in on the act now and going to show a live game from the first/second/third round, similar to what they do with the FA Cup down south.

If it had been in effect for this season our game against Beith would have probably been chosen.

Wonder how many peanuts we'll get for this deal.

Edited by rb123!

16 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Don’t think we should be expecting much in the way of incoming players in January but keeping those we have is key. We know Shankland will be gone in the summer but I’d be considering extensions for Rose, Murdoch and Smith and see if they bite.

As far as new signings go, the only thing I think we lack is a target man if we needed to change tactics. Shankland does a lot of his own hard work so might be an option to take some of the load off at times.

Suppose it’ll depend if there’s interest from elsewhere and they make a precontract offer. With so many scouts watching Shankland they can’t help but notice the others. Be good to see them tied up for longer deals. 

28 minutes ago, honestly united said:

We should be looking to tie up the majority of the squad on longer deals now to stave off any interest in January onwards for pre-contacts.

I've been saying the same thing for ages.

If we manage to hold on to Rose, Smith & Murdoch it will be nothing short of a minor miracle...........

The signings debate surely revolves around which league we'll be playing in next year. Avoiding injuries to key players (ye, those mentioned in an earlier post) between now and the end of the season could mean a step up in quality for the whole club. I've been very impressed with McCall's signings in the last two seasons but even he will have to raise his sights a bit higher if we are to make an effective challenge in the SPL (cf Livvi). Nothing to fear though and while I've accepted we wont have Shankland next season, I see no reason to be downbeat about anything else. Onwards and upwards  

1 hour ago, Jazzar said:

The signings debate surely revolves around which league we'll be playing in next year. Avoiding injuries to key players (ye, those mentioned in an earlier post) between now and the end of the season could mean a step up in quality for the whole club. I've been very impressed with McCall's signings in the last two seasons but even he will have to raise his sights a bit higher if we are to make an effective challenge in the SPL (cf Livvi). Nothing to fear though and while I've accepted we wont have Shankland next season, I see no reason to be downbeat about anything else. Onwards and upwards  

The likes of Smith, Rose and Murdoch would first team players even if we go up a league so should be offered a deal with an increase if we go up.

The likes of Crawford, Forrest, McDaid, Harvie, Kerr would probably decent players to have in the squad, if not starting if we go up, starters if we are still in the championship so would be in the same boat.

The likes of Smith, Rose and Murdoch would first team players even if we go up a league so should be offered a deal with an increase if we go up.

The likes of Crawford, Forrest, McDaid, Harvie, Kerr would probably decent players to have in the squad, if not starting if we go up, starters if we are still in the championship so would be in the same boat.

This must be a record. Discussing which players to keep for the following season in November?

Remember that livi have kept a lot of their players throughout their run - and our own success has disproved the old "he's not X league standard" argument.

McCall's handling of transfers and contracts has been outstanding in the last couple of seasons. I've got no doubt he'll be doing everything possible to hold on to our best players. But there's no doubt we'll be losing a few to bigger teams in the summer.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This just be a record. Discussing which players to keep for the following season in November?

Remember that livi have kept a lot of their players throughout their run - and our own success has disproved the old "he's not X league standard" argument.

McCall's handling of transfers and contracts has been outstanding in the last couple of seasons. I've got no doubt he'll be doing everything possible to hold on to our best players. But there's no doubt we'll be losing a few to bigger teams in the summer.

McCall's managed to put together a fantastic squad, I'd rather keep it together if possible for a number of season. I would keep the majority no matter what league we are in next season, and if we sign them up know we wont be losing any in the summer, except for a fee.

McCall's managed to put together a fantastic squad, I'd rather keep it together if possible for a number of season. I would keep the majority no matter what league we are in next season, and if we sign them up know we wont be losing any in the summer, except for a fee.
I can't imagine many of our top players signing longer term deals at this stage. Signing on fees could be life changing for many of them.

But either way, McCall will be well aware of the situation.

I can't imagine many of our top players signing longer term deals at this stage. Signing on fees could be life changing for many of them.

But either way, McCall will be well aware of the situation.

I think he’s been very open in recent months that we stand a good chance of losing 4 or 5 players when their contracts are up and I appreciate his honesty on the matter. I’m just enjoying what we’re doing right now and refusing to worry about what may or may not happen in the summer.

2 minutes ago, mccurdieboy said:

Sad to hear of the news Davie Stewart died aged 71 before my time but always heard he was one of the best goalkeepers ever for Ayr RIP Dave stewart

He was before my time as well, but my papa considered him the best keeper to ever play for Ayr. RIP.