The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Thought he hadn't started in the league at all, missed that he came on against itc. Thought he signed after Smith as well. Seems more clear cut he'll be away rather than Doc, which might be judged solely on his fitness issue.

Thing with Doc is he’s barely had a chance to prove himself on the pitch because Kerr and Murdoch have been so good. McCall will have a better idea of how fit he actually is and from what I’ve heard he’s great to have around the dressing room so I think he’ll stay.

Thing with Doc is he’s barely had a chance to prove himself on the pitch because Kerr and Murdoch have been so good. McCall will have a better idea of how fit he actually is and from what I’ve heard he’s great to have around the dressing room so I think he’ll stay.

So is Higgins supposed to be, although he's under contract to the end of the season. Wonder if he might want to go in order to get games, doesnt seem like the kind of player that'd be content being a squad player, and with that injury he's had i can't see him getting back into the team. There's only so many players you can keep around cause they're influential but not actually first teamers

A few additions would be nice but for me it's about keeping what we have in particular Shankland, Rose and Murdoch a back up keeper would be nice and maybe another center back but I honestly think if we keep the squad together we will be no worse that 3rd place at the end if the end of the season.

January is massive for us, obviously the key is keeping Lawrence Shankland. McCall basically hinted that if we received a bid in the region of £250,000 we’d accept it. Luckily however I don’t think many(if any) teams would be willing to offer that for a player who can be signed for free at the end of the season. 

I fully expect David Ferguson to be moved on. He’s a decent enough player but is currently miles behind Liam Smith and Daniel Harvie who are both similar age to him.  Also got Andy Geggan and Finn Ecrepont as options there. 

It may be slightly controversial but I wouldn’t be against moving on Ross Docherty. He hasn’t been fit all season and even if he was I don’t think he would be able to displace Kerr and Murdoch from the team. We again have the likes of Crawford, Geggan, Adams and Bell who can all play there. As he still remains club captain I suspect he will be kept.

As for incomings I’d like to see a CB and winger brought in. 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

A winger?

Yes. Crawford has been gash recently and I don’t fancy Forrest on the wing and for some reason McCall doesn’t seem to fancy McDaid. I’d also loan out McGuffie to a Stranraer level team. 

Yes. Crawford has been gash recently and I don’t fancy Forrest on the wing and for some reason McCall doesn’t seem to fancy McDaid. I’d also loan out McGuffie to a Stranraer level team. 
Mcguffie absolutely deserves a run, he can be brilliant, but like all wingers he's inconsistent. Same with mcdaid.

Geggan and Crawford get used to bring more stability (although for different reasons). Crawford was not gash yesterday.

I agree with you on Forrest, but he plays on the wing (although not enough like a winger).

That's five options for two positions. We're over stocked in that dept.

I’d like another cb, and cover for gk although hare-Reid does have potential so not sure if McCall will look for cover there!

Another out and out winger- yeah but I don’t see an established championship player wanting to come in as we have got a lot of competition there. I still don’t like Crawford playing wide

I’d like another cb, and cover for gk although hare-Reid does have potential so not sure if McCall will look for cover there!

Another out and out winger- yeah but I don’t see an established championship player wanting to come in as we have got a lot of competition there. I still don’t like Crawford playing wide

Don’t see the point in using up our small budget in another goalkeeper to sit on bench. Our young goalie has been different class and if he was to get injured or had a massive dip in form then and only then would I look at a replacement.

Can only agree with what others have said, a winger’s the last thing we need and I say that as someone who isn’t a fan of Crawford playing wide, think he’s far more effective in the middle of the park.
Forrest, McDaid & McGuffie are perfectly good options at this level, with Geggan & Crawford as alternatives to an out and out winger.
Hell, McDaid & McGuffie can’t get much of a look in as it is, let alone needing someone else.
Don’t know if I’d be too fussed at bringing anyone in. Obviously a smaller squad has risks re injuries but I think the consistency of selection from last season to this has been invaluable.

The best I have seen Crawford play this season was the opening game against Partick I thought him and Murdoch were a fantastic partnership Kerr has been excellent though and I think we are shoehorning Rab into the team McCall obviously rates him very highly, as for Doc I'd keep him because Kerr and Geggan aren't getting any younger and he's a really good back up for Murdoch

The best I have seen Crawford play this season was the opening game against Partick I thought him and Murdoch were a fantastic partnership Kerr has been excellent though and I think we are shoehorning Rab into the team McCall obviously rates him very highly, as for Doc I'd keep him because Kerr and Geggan aren't getting any younger and he's a really good back up for Murdoch  

I understand your logic here but I just wonder if Doc is a little out of his depth at this level.

I understand your logic here but I just wonder if Doc is a little out of his depth at this level.
Yeah I think it's make or break season with Doc seems a good guy and has been really unlucky with injurys but like Moore who looked as if he'd be our main man last season and got a injury and shankland came in and the rest is history same kind of story with Doc and Murdoch

7 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Crawford was not gash yesterday.

Oooh, he was really. When you think about it... did he contribute anything?

5 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

^What he said!

20 hours ago, munro7 said:

Can only agree with what others have said, a winger’s the last thing we need and I say that as someone who isn’t a fan of Crawford playing wide, think he’s far more effective in the middle of the park.
Forrest, McDaid & McGuffie are perfectly good options at this level, with Geggan & Crawford as alternatives to an out and out winger.
Hell, McDaid & McGuffie can’t get much of a look in as it is, let alone needing someone else.
Don’t know if I’d be too fussed at bringing anyone in. Obviously a smaller squad has risks re injuries but I think the consistency of selection from last season to this has been invaluable.

Agree, I don't think we need to bring anyone in, unless of course we lose players which is completely another matter.

As for Crawford, there's no doubt he splits opinion among the fans, I'm in the take him or leave him category but he must be doing something right as although his blunders tend to be magnified (such as Cappielow) we do play nice possession football when he's in the team and I'm pretty sure that would not be possible with a dumpling/passenger in midfield.

I think the biggest problem he has is he rarely tackles his man and runs alongside him which annoys many of our fans and sometimes he can frustrate with the ball at his feet as instead of driving forward (which he's good at), he has an awful habit of stopping and turning back the way, which again infuriates lots of the fans.

I don’t think anyone has really pinned down the wide areas for Ayr this season.  I think only McDaid and McGuffie are out and out wide players so if we could pick up an experienced winger  it would be well worth it. It’s particularly noticeable when we take out Moffat’s link up play that the wide players aren’t giving us enough going forward.  That said, I thought Forrest and Smith played really well together on a Saturday.