The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

Would be surprised.  I’m a season ticket holder but can’t find any real enthusiasm for this game.  The fact it’s an Ayrshire junior team maybe helps a bit, but recent games against Lochee Utd, Aberdeen Sunnybank and Banks O’Dee have been amateur hour to some degree or other.  Playing Lochee on a public park/potato field on a Monday afternoon was probably peak cup romance, though the Sunnybank game had its merits - if the referee had actually applied the rules that day they’d have finished with 7 men.  If I remember right, Sunnybank went bust shortly after that game, so basically they took half the gate money then disappeared off to the pub.  Playing Banks O’Dee on a surface that looked to be designed for hockey was also a bit different.

So basically we’re risking our first team on a public park against  hammer throwers, risking our continued participation in a competition which ought to be an opportunity to bring in much needed revenue.  The Scottish Cup really should be the premier cup competition for professional football teams.  I accept there were always anomalies with highland league and non league teams allowed to participate, but personally I think the standard of teams being allowed to play has sunk far too low.

If you see this game as a bit of a novelty, fair play, but personally I’ll be content if we win and avoid any injuries.

Are you suggesting that the Scottish Cup should basically be another version of the League Cup?

Would be surprised.  I’m a season ticket holder but can’t find any real enthusiasm for this game.  The fact it’s an Ayrshire junior team maybe helps a bit, but recent games against Lochee Utd, Aberdeen Sunnybank and Banks O’Dee have been amateur hour to some degree or other.  Playing Lochee on a public park/potato field on a Monday afternoon was probably peak cup romance, though the Sunnybank game had its merits - if the referee had actually applied the rules that day they’d have finished with 7 men.  If I remember right, Sunnybank went bust shortly after that game, so basically they took half the gate money then disappeared off to the pub.  Playing Banks O’Dee on a surface that looked to be designed for hockey was also a bit different.

So basically we’re risking our first team on a public park against  hammer throwers, risking our continued participation in a competition which ought to be an opportunity to bring in much needed revenue.  The Scottish Cup really should be the premier cup competition for professional football teams.  I accept there were always anomalies with highland league and non league teams allowed to participate, but personally I think the standard of teams being allowed to play has sunk far too low.

If you see this game as a bit of a novelty, fair play, but personally I’ll be content if we win and avoid any injuries.

Have a green one

We played Beith a couple of years ago and it was a great away day. The slope on their pitch is magnificent. I suspect Beith fans will tell you to show them respect when saying it should be a walk in the park, as they did with us. Pumped them 6-0 without even getting into 2nd gear that day. 

Quite a disrespectful post there, with references to public parks and hammer throwers. At that level of the Juniors the teams tend to pass the ball about and try to play some decent stuff. Beith also have some ex seniors, a couple of whom played for Ayr. Bellsdale is quite a tidy wee ground, although it lacks seating and floodlights. Whenever I've been there the pitch has been in good condition, the biggest issue with it is the slope. But so do senior grounds.

Edited by RedEd

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

We played Beith a couple of years ago and it was a great away day. The slope on their pitch is magnificent. I suspect Beith fans will tell you to show them respect when saying it should be a walk in the park, as they did with us. Pumped them 6-0 without even getting into 2nd gear that day. 

pretty sure that game only ended in a draw?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Are you suggesting that the Scottish Cup should basically be another version of the League Cup?

Not necessarily, but I do think things have got out of hand in recent years with the standard of team being admitted.  Knowing where to draw the line is difficult, but I do think it needs to be drawn somewhere. To me, it has become an ill judged attempt to replicate the FA cup where the strength and depth at non league level is ridiculous, as evidenced by AFC Fylde offering us 150k for Shankland.  We clearly don’t have that in Scotland.  It was probably the Aberdeen Sunnybank game that scunnered me with this format.  Never seen anything like it.  Paying good money to watch a bunch of arseholes throwing themselves into one shocking tackle after another.  They somehow only got 2 red cards that day but that was probably because the referee didint want to abandon the game.

The line is drawn somewhere. Only teams with an SFA license plus those non-league clubs who won a select set of leagues or cups can enter. Most of those are eliminated in the preliminary rounds and the first round, which consist exclusively of non-league clubs. Only 22 non-league clubs can make it to Round 2, where the first SPFL clubs enter (all of League 2).  As of Round 3, which is the when clubs in League 1 and the Championship enter, only 9 non-league clubs are left in this season's competition.

To reach Round 3, Beith have had to win four matches - they beat Threave Rovers (last season's South of Scotland League champions), Lothian Thistle HV (last season's East of Scotland League runners-up), Nairn County (9th in last year's Highland League) and Linlithgow Rose (who up until their senior move in the summer were one of the strongest Junior clubs in the country).

When you played Sunnybank at the same stage 8 years ago, they had knocked out Albion Rovers in the previous round, so they were obviously of a reasonable standard.

3 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

Lochee-peak romance, I can't remember being so relieved at a final whistle in a long while, I enjoyed my day out at Lochee, maybe Rangers and Celtic fans will moan about having to play cannon fodder like ourselves at our own less than salubrious ground in the future.

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Lochee-peak romance, I can't remember being so relieved at a final whistle in a long while, I enjoyed my day out at Lochee, maybe Rangers and Celtic fans will moan about having to play cannon fodder like ourselves at our own less than salubrious ground in the future.

Absolutely. What an afternoon that was at Lochee - delighted with the draw. Streetlights came on midway through the second half it was so dark. If someone cannot enjoy the Lochee's and Bank o' Dee's then I frankly don't know what they are doing supporting a team like Ayr.

I got a pal to cover my class in the afternoon and mate it along for the second half - only to find about a dozen or so kids from the school who had also bunked off.

Great atmosphere - and absolutely what the cup should be about.

12 minutes ago, stumpy said:

heres some highlights from Beiths last round game to give some idea as to what expect.... :)  not all hammer throwers lol 

Reveal hidden contents

Proof that Junior Football is an absoulote shambles. If we don’t stick brackets passed this rabble then McCall has a lot to answer for. 

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Proof that Junior Football is an absoulote shambles. If we don’t stick brackets passed this rabble then McCall has a lot to answer for. 

you should win by a few as you are the full time club.... suppose its the romance of the cup, wee tight park with the "big full time" team coming down to play the wee part timers :) what i would say is dont dish the junior players as remember there is a good few ex juniors in your current 1st team.... Shankland to name one....so they all cant be bad

you should win by a few as you are the full time club.... suppose its the romance of the cup, wee tight park with the "big full time" team coming down to play the wee part timers [emoji4] what i would say is dont dish the junior players as remember there is a good few ex juniors in your current 1st team.... Shankland to name one....so they all cant be bad

Shankland never played in the juniors. Moffat and Adams are the only ones in our squad that have played junior football.

I don't think Adams has either - we signed him from Wigtown who are South of Scotland which I think still counts as 'senior'.  Think McGuffie was on loan at a junior team though (Cumnock or Glenafton rings a bell) so technically he counts.