The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

For anyone who wants to have gauge how far we have come - I recall a game close to the end of Roberts' tenure where, in front of under 1000 fans, we had to watch Craig Beattie don the Number 5 top and play Centre Back.

Holy. Christ.

That truly puts things into perspective...

I can vaguely remember Beattie at centre half. Did he actually last the whole game? From what I remember, he was always breathing out his arse or injured.

That truly puts things into perspective...
I can vaguely remember Beattie at centre half. Did he actually last the whole game? From what I remember, he was always breathing out his arse or injured.
No idea, but with Kevin McKinlay also in the team, Beattie wasn't even the worst defender on the pitch

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I must admit that I was a big fan of Parker and thought he should have been playing at a higer level than us, but I think he had a bit of baggage if I remember correctly. McGowan was also a pretty decent player when on his game, however he was pretty inconsistent and I suppose stuck out as the best of a pretty bad bunch that we had around these times.

As you say, times have indeed changed.

While we’re on the topic of Mikey McGowan when I was up in the Jubilee with at the time a fairly serious illness a couple of years back he offered to come and visit me. A really top guy who loved the club.

Believe he is the last player to have kissed the badge. Love that behaviour. 

ETA: Think Morgyn Neil holds that award actually after scoring on his home debut against Morton while on loan from Motherwell. Bizarre. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

While we’re on the topic of Mikey McGowan when I was up in the Jubilee with at the time a fairly serious illness a couple of years back he offered to come and visit me. A really top guy who loved the club.
ETA: Think Morgyn Neil holds that award actually after scoring on his home debut against Morton while on loan from Motherwell. Bizarre. 

If Shankland ever kissed the badge I think grown men would cry.

Still shudder when I hear that pr*ck Morgyn Neil’s name.

McGowan was a good player just was constantly injured and it seemed he never fully recovered- a real shame

I must admit that I was a big fan of Parker and thought he should have been playing at a higer level than us, but I think he had a bit of baggage if I remember correctly. McGowan was also a pretty decent player when on his game, however he was pretty inconsistent and I suppose stuck out as the best of a pretty bad bunch that we had around these times.
As you say, times have indeed changed.
I remember being quite surprised when parker turned up at Airdrie in league 1 not too long after he left us. I think McGowan was the type of guy that could produce something special out of the blue every now and again, agree with the inconsistency.

IIRC Mickey McGowan put on a load of short muscle mass on his legs in the gym in closed season rehab from that knee injury.  If he had had any advice from anyone, it was terrible advice. 

It may have done the job of protecting his knee a bit but he also lost all his pace and was never remotely the same player again. If we had been full time when he was with us, or he had had better advice in the gym I'm sure he would have had a much better chance of a full recovery.

Keigan Parker’s wondergoal ruined by Reid’s reaction. 

Been a turbulent few years for us lot. Having to endure the Kyle, Beattie, mcmanus eras. Players who were actually good at other clubs ala McCann and Twaddle becoming complete dumplings and yo yoing between divisions. Staring the abyss into the 4th tier of Scottish football away to Forfar.

Oh how supporting Ayr over 30 years has been a rollercoaster of emotions.  

........and just now I’m happy as fook with this team. 

Ok, here’s a question to put the ‘cat amongst the pigeons’ and one for debate.

How much do you think it would cost to buy Ayr United?

Say an Ayr fan won eurosquilliins and rocked up at Tryfield place with an open chequebook.

Cameron has said he just wants his money back, so £1million straight off. The ground say £2million, putting that figure as you’d need to buy back the car park to have complete dictatorship in any redevelopment of San Somerset, if you want to. Paying off the board, probably about £500k(Mind you taking the club public with shares to fans would claw some of that back). Then there’s the question of if there is a sale, are you required to buy the ground at Whitletts? Of which you’d have to either put in major redevelopment, paying off SAC and come up with an idea to make a profitable, efficient development to pay for a new stadium if you want to move.

Then there’s actually putting the product on the park and getting people to pay their hard earned cash. 

I say not much change out of circa £10 million. Thus why nobody is banging down the door to buy the club. Or did the charlatans like Gilmour’s so called £28 million re development scare people off?

Still to this day people ask the question of “what if Murray had bought Ayr?” He wasn’t actually buying Ayr United, the truth was that it was a buy out as a loan against the club. 

2 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

IIRC Mickey McGowan put on a load of short muscle mass on his legs in the gym in closed season rehab from that knee injury.  If he had had any advice from anyone, it was terrible advice. 

It may have done the job of protecting his knee a bit but he also lost all his pace and was never remotely the same player again. If we had been full time when he was with us, or he had had better advice in the gym I'm sure he would have had a much better chance of a full recovery.

Absolutely spot on, never in my life have I saw a sportsman build up their legs only to get slower, you need the right advice/trainer when you're doing that shit, doing it properly he should have found a yard or 2, he lost that or more..

9 minutes ago, Waniche said:

Ok, here’s a question to put the ‘cat amongst the pigeons’ and one for debate.

How much do you think it would cost to buy Ayr United?

Say an Ayr fan won eurosquilliins and rocked up at Tryfield place with an open chequebook.

Cameron has said he just wants his money back, so £1million straight off. The ground say £2million, putting that figure as you’d need to buy back the car park to have complete dictatorship in any redevelopment of San Somerset, if you want to. Paying off the board, probably about £500k(Mind you taking the club public with shares to fans would claw some of that back). Then there’s the question of if there is a sale, are you required to buy the ground at Whitletts? Of which you’d have to either put in major redevelopment, paying off SAC and come up with an idea to make a profitable, efficient development to pay for a new stadium if you want to move.

Then there’s actually putting the product on the park and getting people to pay their hard earned cash. 

I say not much change out of circa £10 million. Thus why nobody is banging down the door to buy the club. Or did the charlatans like Gilmour’s so called £28 million re development scare people off?

Still to this day people ask the question of “what if Murray had bought Ayr?” He wasn’t actually buying Ayr United, the truth was that it was a buy out as a loan against the club. 

You would need half of that to do a job at Ayr, still too much for most.

1 minute ago, Waniche said:

Yes agreed but it’s the hypothetical question of “what if?”

Wait until I win one of the larger Euromillions jackpots and we'll see what happens.

I must be about due it by now.

Edited by ayrmad