The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

He said on Sportsound that he loves Thistle, expects to go there in some capacity at some point but would not step in to Alan Archibalds shoes. He also mentioned the debt of gratitude he owes Cameron for taking a chance on him. 

So, on this occasion at least he isn't taking the Thistle job. 

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

At least it shows him to be an "HONEST MAN"...................................

I'll not be satisfied until he gets an Ayr United tattoo, the Ayr glasses weren't enough for me.

He must be branded with the crest, like one of the herd.

I'm not letting him leave, ever.

I actually live not far from him so I'll be watching you, Mr McCall, everywhere you go sir, watching!

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Ayrshire Post puts the crowd debate into a bit of perspective.

2,200 Ayr fans at Dundee United game on Saturday.

600 Ayr fans at Mark Roberts last game in charge before McCall was appointed.

I actually found an old programme the other night from the 2011 season in the Championship (old 1st division) and looking through our crowds we were looking at 1,600 as our average home gate, so things have most definitely improved dramatically since then.

That team coincidentally included Geggan & Moffat with possibly Keigan Parker, Liam Tomsett and Mikey McGowan as our most exciting players.

I'm also pretty sure that we saw the likes of a fantastic Paul Pogba and half decent Danny Drinkwater at Somerset that pre-season................

I actually found an old programme the other night from the 2011 season in the Championship (old 1st division) and looking through our crowds we were looking at 1,600 as our average home gate, so things have most definitely improved dramatically since then.
That team coincidentally included Geggan & Moffat with possibly Keigan Parker, Liam Tomsett and Mikey McGowan as our most exciting players.
I'm also pretty sure that we saw the likes of a fantastic Paul Pogba and half decent Danny Drinkwater at Somerset that pre-season................
My one memory of Kiegan Parker is the two goals in the win against dundee on the last day of the season.
My only memory of McGowan is an absolute screamer he scored away to Livingston in the cup.
Times certainly have changed

4 minutes ago, AuAl said:

My one memory of Kiegan Parker is the two goals in the win against dundee on the last day of the season.
My only memory of McGowan is an absolute screamer he scored away to Livingston in the cup.
Times certainly have changed

I must admit that I was a big fan of Parker and thought he should have been playing at a higer level than us, but I think he had a bit of baggage if I remember correctly. McGowan was also a pretty decent player when on his game, however he was pretty inconsistent and I suppose stuck out as the best of a pretty bad bunch that we had around these times.

As you say, times have indeed changed.

That season was one of the most up and down I've ever experienced.Watched an absolutely turgid defeat at home to Dundee on the Saturday, and then went and papped St Mirren out the League Cup in their own backyard on the Tuesday. The following round of said League Cup never happened.

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

Ayrshire Post puts the crowd debate into a bit of perspective.

2,200 Ayr fans at Dundee United game on Saturday.

600 Ayr fans at Mark Roberts last game in charge before McCall was appointed.

Remember it well, I could easily have counted those in the SRE if I'd chosen to do so, the tumbleweed springs to mind.

We're doing fine crowd wise, probably lost over a thousand on Saturday due to Dundee United' humping from Ross County.

When McCall came in and stated that he wanted to get at least 2000 Ayr fans attending, I thought his chances were not too great, don't believe anyone if they pop up and they thought the chances were much greater than that, forget the stayaways, if they comeback brilliant, this team won't disappoint them often, if they don't, it's their loss, keep going and they'll prove they're our best team in 40 years IMHO.

Edited by ayrmad

31 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

That season was one of the most up and down I've ever experienced.Watched an absolutely turgid defeat at home to Dundee on the Saturday, and then went and papped St Mirren out the League Cup in their own backyard on the Tuesday. The following round of said League Cup never happened.

I crashed my car just outside the Northfield bowling club en route to the Dundee game if I remember correctly and then the St Mirren game was when big Chris nodded in the goal in the last few minutes to send us all mental.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I crashed my car just outside the Northfield bowling club en route to the Dundee game if I remember correctly and then the St Mirren game was when big Chris nodded in the goal in the last few minutes to send us all mental.

Remember it vividly. Dundee won 3-1, there was no atmosphere, the crowd was pretty dross and I just thought to myself how little I fancied the midweek trip to Paisley.

How wrong was I?!