The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

In all honesty, I'm a fan, ultimately I'm bothered about what happens on the pitch on a Saturday, if McCall wants to leave he will leave regardless, compensation or none won't play a part in it IMHO, why on earth would any fan or board member wish to keep a manager that wants to go. McCall isn't some young manager looking to climb the ladder, if he goes to Partick it will be for things other than ambition or cash, I HOPE HE STAYS as much as I wanted Shankland to stay but I'll understand his reasons if he goes, it would be a huge disappointment if he left us at this point.

I also hope he stays and being honest I don't understand from his own perspective why he'd leave a young, "once in a lifetime" group of players who are evolving and maturing with each game under his own personal stewardship.

Who knows how far this group could actually go ?

McCall himself must be excited and at his age I'd doubt if a group like this would come along again. He also has carte blanche at Ayr and has total control of the club. Would he get this at Firhill or elsewhere ?

I'm extremely hopeful that he'll stay but if he was to go the biggest worry would be how many of our squad would follow ? That's the doomsday scenario that I don't even want to begin thinking about.............

Really hope he stays but have always thought the lure of thistle may prove too tempting. Worry is if he takes anyone with him. There was talk of the Falkirk deal involving Kerr too, i know that was maybe for other reasons but would not be good to lose him as well.Let's hope Partick swoop in for Neilson! Their rich backers will probably make sure money is not an issue.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I also hope he stays and being honest I don't understand from his own perspective why he'd leave a young, "once in a lifetime" group of players who are evolving and maturing with each game under his own personal stewardship.

Who knows how far this group could actually go ?

McCall himself must be excited and at his age I'd doubt if a group like this would come along again. He also has carte blanche at Ayr and has total control of the club. Would he get this at Firhill or elsewhere ?

I'm extremely hopeful that he'll stay but if he was to go the biggest worry would be how many of our squad would follow ? That's the doomsday scenario that I don't even want to begin thinking about.............

As an ex gambler myself all those things might not come into it, I'm at a stage where I'm very happy with who I am, I have dealt with the past and am cool with it, I put loyalty both ways and happiness above most things now,if he's the same then he'll stay, if not, we might be onto plums.

If I was asked to advise him honestly, I'd be telling him to stay put, sometimes chasing mistakes lead to bigger mistakes.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Well that's Neilson away to Dundee United so one less club McCall can be linked with emoji23.png

If you had said Partick I would have been delighted, for me that doesn't change anything for us.

Could people please stop insinuating that bookies' odds on managerial appointments have anything to do with the likelihood of said appointment being made? They are entirely based on the wisdom of crowds and at this sort of level are influence by the fucking wind blowing.

McCall has previous with literally half the teams in this division. If QOS slip to bottom and Naysmith gets the bullet, doubtless there will be people filling their knickers again. McCall's going nowhere.

The Partick website seems to be inviting applications:

Partick Thistle has now begun the search for a new manager with a deadline set for interested candidates to register their interest with Chief Executive, Gerry Britton, no later than Friday 12th October.

If that's genuine then presumably unless McCall applies they'll look at the candidates who have shown an interest unless they are a bunch of diddies, at which point they might test Ayr out.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Could people please stop insinuating that bookies' odds on managerial appointments have anything to do with the likelihood of said appointment being made? They are entirely based on the wisdom of crowds and at this sort of level are influence by the fucking wind blowing.

McCall has previous with literally half the teams in this division. If QOS slip to bottom and Naysmith gets the bullet, doubtless there will be people filling their knickers again. McCall's going nowhere.

Do you know how windy it is here today?

1 minute ago, edinburghhonestman said:

The Partick website seems to be inviting applications:

Partick Thistle has now begun the search for a new manager with a deadline set for interested candidates to register their interest with Chief Executive, Gerry Britton, no later than Friday 12th October.

If that's genuine then presumably unless McCall applies they'll look at the candidates who have shown an interest unless they are a bunch of diddies, at which point they might test Ayr out.

Could we not just lock him in a cupboard until Saturday, might not be great for him but we'd be stress free.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I mentioned Heathfield because a lot of money was spent chasing that project at the expense of Somerset, like any old structure, the more you neglect it the more it costs you in repairs at some point down the line.

As for the tax bill, it should just have meant that the actual cost to purchase Ayr from Barr was tax bill + £1, not £1 + oh shit we're in deep shit because an unexpected bill arose, like I said in an earlier post, Lachlan has probably received criticism for things that really were not of his making, it's not right but if we as fans are kept in the dark then we're going to criticise the person in the hotseat at the time.

That doesn’t make any sense.  The whole point of the sale was that Barr was offering the club to Cameron debt free for a token fee of a £.  That was driven, as far as I can see, by Barr’s decision to unexpectedly and fairly abruptly end what had undoubtedly been huge financial support to the club rather than by any massive desire on Cameron’s part to take ownership of the club.  Simply put, Cameron stepped up because there were few, if any, other options.  

Further, and giving  Barr the benefit of the doubt, the tax bill wasn’t even known about at the time of the sale.   Even if it had been, you are making a huge assumption that Cameron Snr would have taken on the club if he was accepting liability for a 500k tax bill as part of the purchase terms - he may well have chosen to walk away.  

As far as the stadium goes, my point was that we have been obliged to spend a fortune on the ground in recent years.  It’s hard to see how that work would have gone ahead without significant handouts from Lachlan. 

1 minute ago, Mgc1910 said:

That doesn’t make any sense.  The whole point of the sale was that Barr was offering the club to Cameron debt free for a token fee of a £.  That was driven, as far as I can see, by Barr’s decision to unexpectedly and fairly abruptly end what had undoubtedly been huge financial support to the club rather than by any massive desire on Cameron’s part to take ownership of the club.  Simply put, Cameron stepped up because there were few, if any, other options.  

Further, and giving  Barr the benefit of the doubt, the tax bill wasn’t even known about at the time of the sale.   Even if it had been, you are making a huge assumption that Cameron Snr would have taken on the club if he was accepting liability for a 500k tax bill as part of the purchase terms - he may well have chosen to walk away.  

As far as the stadium goes, my point was that we have been obliged to spend a fortune on the ground in recent years.  It’s hard to see how that work would have gone ahead without significant handouts from Lachlan. 

How does it not make sense, companies are sold for a quid on a very regular basis, those selling aren't doing it for benevolent reasons.

Why should we give Barr the benefit of the doubt, he's not some sort of dafty, he is/was a sharp businessman who would/should have known about said tax bill.

How do you know what would have happened if Lachlan' dad hadn't paid a quid, I certainly can't remember reports of Barr seeking a purchaser, you would think folk were purchasing fresh air, they weren't, they were purchasing land with a club attached, land has a value and it certainly wasn't a quid.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

How does it not make sense, companies are sold for a quid on a very regular basis, those selling aren't doing it for benevolent reasons.

Why should we give Barr the benefit of the doubt, he's not some sort of dafty, he is/was a sharp businessman who would/should have known about said tax bill.

How do you know what would have happened if Lachlan' dad hadn't paid a quid, I certainly can't remember reports of Barr seeking a purchaser, you would think folk were purchasing fresh air, they weren't, they were purchasing land with a club attached, land has a value and it certainly wasn't a quid.

Barr would have know there was tax bill, as would all the directors however what they may not have know was the size of that bill.

Corporate tax is exceeding complicated and a company the size of Barr Holdings likely employed a number of tax reduction strategies  and a load of accountants to reduce their exposure.

its entirely feasible that HMRC hasn’t confirmed the exact amount of the tax bill and the sale of the club was based on an estimate at the lower end of the potential figure.

Just look at the mess at Murray International/Sevco which was all happening at the same time.(Not that I’m suggesting Marius Rovde had an EBT)

A tenner bet will change the odds. Remember the Patrick Kluivert for County rumours? That was solely to raise the odds of other candidates. Newspapers love a shitey rumour so picked up on it.

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ian McCall just said on sportsound he isn't going to Partick Thistle

Delighted, more so for his reasons than anything else, shows he's a fair way down the right road to normality.