The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

We’re equalling if not slightly bettering the crowds we got at the “height” of the Barr era. Think some are expecting a bit too much too soon demanding 3,500 crowds.

Some folks expectations are  far too high for a club like Ayr, it's going to take more than a season and a bit of success before those expectations come close to reality. As it stands in regard the numbers I think they've moved along to about where they should be at this stage.

True but in that time Ayr have brought in a load of money to the club where I have never seen much be reinvested into the club but I also think South Ayrshire council don't do much good for Ayr either no advertising for any the games.

Do you think going full time and getting this team signed up, including Shankland is cheap?

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

We’re equalling if not slightly bettering the crowds we got at the “height” of the Barr era. Think some are expecting a bit too much too soon demanding 3,500 crowds.

In the 30 years or so that I've been attending Ayr games, our crowds at the moment are pretty much up there with the highest we've had in all that time.

2,500 to 3,000 has been the top end during that 30 years and also taking into consideration that having no Killie in our league has also impacted crowds and indeed interest from some quarters.

I've got to say It's strange reading this thread today, as some seem to be actively looking for negatives and to cause problems rather than both enjoying and celebrating our play and start to the season................

I went to my 1st Ayr game 1997 against killie and was hooked right through to a few years back and it has gotten worst over the years yeah fingers crossed where on the up I will be back hopefully with a load of the original fans who I also no havent went to games for a few years

Do you think going full time and getting this team signed up, including Shankland is cheap?
No I certainly don't but why has it taken so long to do it look at teams like Livingston and the 2 highlanders we should be bigger than them we have history a lot longer than them.

23 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is Higgins near a return yet and,  if so,  will he get a place in the starting 11? 

Think he's pretty close to returning but when he is fit he'll find it difficult to get back into the squad never mind the starting 11. I'd imagine he'll be 4th choice centre half behind Rose, Bell and Adams. Great guy to have round the dressing room I've heard. He was fucking buzzing when we won the league. 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Think he's pretty close to returning but when he is fit he'll find it difficult to get back into the squad never mind the starting 11. I'd imagine he'll be 4th choice centre half behind Rose, Bell and Adams. Great guy to have round the dressing room I've heard. He was fucking buzzing when we won the league. 

Yes,  he had a good rep at QoS for his presence in the dressing room,  a good club captain for us but Naysmith needed to put his own stamp on the team so cleared out some experienced players.  Best of luck to him when he returns to action anyway. 

The Cameron's have run the club since 2003.  For the statos, our positions are as follows in that time:

2003-04 9th Division 1/Championship 

2004-05 8th Division 2/League One

2005-06 6th Division 2/League One

2006-07 5th Division 2/League One

2007-08 7th Division 2/League One

2008-09 2nd Division 2/League One

2009-10 10th Division 1/Championship

2010-11 2nd Division 2/League One

2011-12 9th Division 1/Championship

2012-13 7th Division 2/League One

2013-14 4th Division 2/League One

2014-15 8th Division 2/League One

2015-16 2nd Division 2/League One

2016-17 10th Division 1/Championship

2017-18 1st Division 2/League One

In summary:

5/16 years in the Championship (including this one)

An average position of 26th or 4th in League One

We're definitely overachieving right now but I would argue we've underachieved in the previous 15 years so we're due it.

1 hour ago, mccurdieboy said:

True but in that time Ayr have brought in a load of money to the club where I have never seen much be reinvested into the club but I also think South Ayrshire council don't do much good for Ayr either no advertising for any the games.

What money? Outwith a couple of cup runs there hasn’t been a magic pot of gold. It’s not like we’ve been raking in the transfer fees.

The club has been running at a deficit for years and has needed directors loans to stay solvent. All the money from Cup runs etc just goes towards reducing the deficit.

Id be interested to see the clubs financials from last year as there’s no way with league one crowds and full time football that we would have been even close to breaking even.

Like it or no without Lachlan the club  would be dead. Lapsed fans with chips on their shoulders and their one man protests are not helping either.

Get behind the club.

51 minutes ago, mccurdieboy said:
58 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

No I certainly don't but why has it taken so long to do it look at teams like Livingston and the 2 highlanders we should be bigger than them we have history a lot longer than them.

Roy McGregor has bankrolled Ross County and ICT had a similar benefactor who’s name escapes me.

Dont even start me on how Livvy have got to where you hey are.......

15 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Like it or no without Lachlan the club  would be dead. Lapsed fans with chips on their shoulders and their one man protests are not helping either.

Get behind the club.

You made a reasoned argument to this point and in principle I agree with you. However, having a pop at lapsed fans isn't going to bring them back either!

29 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

What money? Outwith a couple of cup runs there hasn’t been a magic pot of gold. It’s not like we’ve been raking in the transfer fees.

The club has been running at a deficit for years and has needed directors loans to stay solvent. All the money from Cup runs etc just goes towards reducing the deficit.

Id be interested to see the clubs financials from last year as there’s no way with league one crowds and full time football that we would have been even close to breaking even.

Get behind the club.

Can folk stop posting shite like this please, it is the biggest load of nonsense, there are clubs with far smaller turnovers than ours who survive comfortably by living within their means.

As for Lachlan, I've had my say plenty of times in the past, he has put cash in that he didn't need to, he's refused to sell to any old chancer, he's made quite a few mistakes, some of which have caused him to put in large chunks of cash, that's not my fault as an Ayr fan, that's his fault for listening to the wrong people when he was learning what it meant to run a Scottish football club, fantasy crowd expectations spring to mind.

Overall people with opinions I value have consistently told me he was a good guy with Ayr' best interests at heart.

I think his own personality hasn't helped him either, not his fault but you probably need to be less reticent with the general fanbase at a club like Ayr.

I along with others have probably tagged some blame onto him for shit that Barr actually caused.

Overall I'm more than happy to pay my cash at the moment and would urge anyone who doesn't attend to get their arse along to Somerset before it's too late, this side might just be the real deal, for the oldies out there, come along and see what the legend Dixie Ingram would have looked like with less heading ability and dynamite in both feet.

Can folk stop posting shite like this please, it is the biggest load of nonsense, there are clubs with far smaller turnovers than ours who survive comfortably by living within their means.
As for Lachlan, I've had my say plenty of times in the past, he has put cash in that he didn't need to, he's refused to sell to any old chancer, he's made quite a few mistakes, some of which have caused him to put in large chunks of cash, that's not my fault as an Ayr fan, that's his fault for listening to the wrong people when he was learning what it meant to run a Scottish football club, fantasy crowd expectations spring to mind.
Overall people with opinions I value have consistently told me he was a good guy with Ayr' best interests at heart.
I think his own personality hasn't helped him either, not his fault but you probably need to be less reticent with the general fanbase at a club like Ayr.
I along with others have probably tagged some blame onto him for shit that Barr actually caused.
Overall I'm more than happy to pay my cash at the moment and would urge anyone who doesn't attend to get their arse along to Somerset before it's too late, this side might just be the real deal, for the oldies out there, come along and see what the legend Dixie Ingram would have looked like with less heading ability and dynamite in both feet.

Yep

Whether or not you’ve taken issue with what Cameron did or didn’t do in the past it doesn’t detract from the fact that if you’re not watching this team on a Saturday then you’re seriously missing out. There’s a fair chance this team will be broken up next season (unless we do actually manage to go up) so go and watch them whilst you’ve got the chance.

42 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You made a reasoned argument to this point and in principle I agree with you. However, having a pop at lapsed fans isn't going to bring them back either!

Not having a pop at them. Just suggesting that their protests are not achieving anything constructive. They are all quick to bemoan the lack of investment/progress etc but are too stubborn to realise they are part of the problem. 

And anyway if these guys are put off going back because of someone supposedly having a pop aand them on a message board they need to toughen up a bit.

17 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don’t think it is shite though.

The guy has spunked a small fortune in keeping the club going at this level.

Ok so maybe we would survive at a lower level and could be competing with the Annan’s and the Montrose’s of the world but for me that’s not the Ayr United I support.

We should be in the top 22 in Scottish Football 100% of the time and without the level of support Lauchlan puts in that would be very hard to achieve.