The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Watched the first half, the score and the Rangers TV commentary were enough to put me off. 

Tom  - Yu were at Ayr Hugh

Hugh - aye, Something derogatory about Burley, Stainrod was the man

Tom - McCall and him fell out didn't they?

Hugh - aye, don't think we should go in to that here though

Tom - HaHa yes, you are right, we shouldn't.......it was something to do with a gift he left him...........in his shoes.........a smelly gift..........a bodily fuct....

Hugh - YES, the less said about it

Like I said when the draw was made, take the humping, cash the cheque and move swiftly on.

And we avoided a real embarrassment 

Edited by diegomarahenry

When I saw the rangers team tonight I thought wee chance here.

Absolutely horsed never got near them think we had 1 shot in the first half when there keeper made a good save. The boy smith got absolutely roasted by the best young winger I've seen in a long time Middleton  (Scottish get him in the big team) who set up everything for them and finished two himself .Mccall rightly saw we were miles off them and rotated the team, as the saying goes we needed everybody to be on it and them to be a bit off the pace, neither happened, a good pay day surely with 35k at the game, money which will come in handy later on.

ps shankland playing against quality centre backs was very poor which will hopefully keep the suitors away for a wee while

Lost 4-0, lets face it, it was predictable and at least we didn't let it get humiliating. Still though we were terrible and probably one of the worse performances of the season and it didn't work trying to match them with the 4/3/3. As my pal said to me after the game the feeling of the match was flat and almost like a friendly at times, i do get the feeling the players weren't ever going to go all out and ask any serious questions of rangers defence. Whether this was down to half a mind on Saturday or not who knows.

Gulf of class was huge and they've improved lightyears since last season considering that was their B team tonight, anyway move on to Saturday and most importantly, back to league business.

And f**k that sevco p***k who decided to chuck his half full cup of cola in the away end at the full time whistle and soak some poor fellow.

Surprised so many folk are disappointed at the performance and the result. It went pretty much exactly as I thought it would against a team who have improved significantly this season, so no need to send Forrest or anyone else down to the juniors because of it

33 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Surprised so many folk are disappointed at the performance and the result. It went pretty much exactly as I thought it would against a team who have improved significantly this season, so no need to send Forrest or anyone else down to the juniors because of it

Totally agree with you 100% , we were never going to win and were not too disgraced going by Rangers last 2 Home games , we gave them goal 2 and 4 , was always about the money and no injuries , they are the most consistent team in Scotland over last 4 games 

Totally agree with you 100% , we were never going to win and were not too disgraced going by Rangers last 2 Home games , we gave them goal 2 and 4 , was always about the money and no injuries , they are the most consistent team in Scotland over last 4 games 
Thanks again for the ticket. Not sure where the seat was, ended up stood in the gangway all night anyway.

The only bone of contention I have about last night was the fact we've been brilliant all season playing with two out and out strikers. I'd have liked us to go Moore and Shanks up top if Moffat wasn't fully fit. I'm not suggesting the result would have been any different but as soon as I saw the team I feared the worst.

I’ve seen other Ayr teams give a far better account of themselves against far better Rangers teams.  I’m not going to go overboard on the criticism,  but we were really poor.  The whole thing just seemed so low key with McCall clearly not viewing the game as any kind of priority.  Just think we could do a bit better with over 900 fans making the effort to attend.

The result and score were highly predictable. Just happy we kept it to 4. No worse than Dundee and St Johnstone in two recent Ibrox games. There goalie did at least have to make 1 decent save and I thought, having seen the highlights, the  challenge on Forest was a stonewall penalty.  Wouldn't have made any difference as we were simply outclassed. No disgrace in that.

Rangers seem a much more organised unit under Gerard than they were in our last meeting. I was quite impressed with them. We, on the other hand, didn't really turn up. Got the impression we weren't exactly busting a gut. Understandable, bearing in mind that Saturday's game at Greenock is much more important. 

Hard to judge Shankland's performance. It seemed that every time the ball came near him he was surrounded by a posse of Rangers defenders. Never got a sniff of a chance. 

We really missed Moffat. One reason why Shankland had so little chance to shine. Hope to God he's fit for Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I’ve seen other Ayr teams give a far better account of themselves against far better Rangers teams.  I’m not going to go overboard on the criticism,  but we were really poor.  The whole thing just seemed so low key with McCall clearly not viewing the game as any kind of priority.  Just think we could do a bit better with over 900 fans making the effort to attend.

I must admit, in all my years supporting Ayr I've never seen a Cup QF treated with so much apathy and I include myself in this.

Maybe it's a sign of the times where cup competitions don't seem to carry any importance (which is wrong in my opinion), maybe it's because we're doing so well in the league and are concentrating on that ?, maybe it's down to a lacklustre McCall and even much of our chat on here which was much of the same ?, maybe it was because it was Rangers at Ibrox where we've a terrible record and were massive underdogs ?

Who knows ?

The bottom line is we're now out, we didn't play very well but it's time to pick ourselves up and go out and do ourselves justice at Cappielow on Saturday.