The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I don’t think he’s that bad defensively. He doesn’t put in big tackles but he certainly gets back and helps his full back out. I was sitting in the stand on Saturday and you could hear McCall shouting from the directors box at McDaid to close the full back down.

I think his decision making could be better and he’s capable of putting brilliant crosses into the box at times but would rather look for an easy pass.

Always thought McDaid works very hard defensively tbh.

Wouldn't worry about McDaid being smuggled away by an English championship team quite yet. Scouts were looking at McGuffie at the start of last season and clearly didn't see enough. Both of them need to do a job at a higher level (i.e. the Scottish Championship) for a year before they're even considered. 

It's great to have young potential in the squad but I think we'll get at least another year out of them all. Including Shankland.

5 hours ago, Waniche said:

The guy ‘scouting’ for Preston, if it’s the same one that was at the Airdrie game,  then it’s the same one that tipped Mickey Donald to be ‘a player’ and go on and do big things down south lol. 

To be fair, Mickey Donald has moved to America, makes a shit load of money as Head coach for Florida F. C. Gets holidays all over the place for hee haw and is basically raking it in (His father is my neighbour and tells me so.)

As for Scouts at Somerset, that gives me the fear. With the talents of Shankland, Crawford and Mcdaid and Defensive capabilities of Rose and Harvie, Ayr is full of young talented players and are probably constantly being watched. Some 1984 shit right there. I'm of the hope that Ian Mccall ties them up before one or two slip away through the net to some obscure league one English pish, for money totally under their valuation. Which would be a total deflation of confidence within this team, if a few clearly valued members were to get sold. 

I hope that it is Ally Morrison, as he only scouts Tall Northern Irish players. 

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

AFC Fylde (the team we beat in Pre season) were apparently the team who bid for Shankland. 

Quite possibly, read on sky transfer centre they turned down a bid of £175k for a striker yesterday.....could have seen Shankland as a replacement and pocketed the change. 

5 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

To be fair, Mickey Donald has moved to America, makes a shit load of money as Head coach for Florida F. C. Gets holidays all over the place for hee haw and is basically raking it in (His father is my neighbour and tells me so.) 

Being a good coach doesn’t have anything to do with the type of player you are/were. Many good coaches havn’t played at any level. Good luck to him anyway, nice bloke. 

49 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

AFC Fylde (the team we beat in Pre season) were apparently the team who bid for Shankland. 

That’s great news. He’d have to be completely mental to move to a shite club like that, regardless of how much they’d pay him. A great season in the Championship and he should be looking well above that level.

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That’s great news. He’d have to be completely mental to move to a shite club like that, regardless of how much they’d pay him. A great season in the Championship and he should be looking well above that level.

The English have this ignorant arrogance about them just now (actually they've probably always had it), where they seem to think that everyone who plays in Scotland is hopeless and not worth any sort of gamble, even at cheap prices, as such I'd doubt very much if Shankland is even on the radar of Championship clubs due to their misplaced superiority complex.

All good for us though..............

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Joe Cardle has moved there, by all means it looks like they've got an incredible setup. 

It's a grim part of the country and they play in the 5th tier of English football.

Hardly a step up, irrespective of how much financial backing they have..............

Joe Cardle has moved there, by all means it looks like they've got an incredible setup. 

I’m sure they do but that’s two players in completely different stages of their careers.

Shankland should be looking to step up, instead of wasting at least two years at a lower level.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Adam Rooney went to a National Conference English football club named Salford, claims its not for money. Afc Fylde are in the same league. Must think Scottish clubs just give up their players. 

This is a big difference to the Sunderland interest. League one is at least more reputable and he would get a decent wage, not to say I'd be happy if Shankland went there, career changing opportunity or not. 

Thank f*ck Shankland is going nowhere. 

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Adam Rooney went to a National Conference English football club named Salford, claims its not for money. Afc Fylde are in the same league. Must think Scottish clubs just give up their players. 

This is a big difference to the Sunderland interest. League one is at least more reputable and he would get a decent wage, not to say I'd be happy if Shankland went there, career changing opportunity or not. 

Thank f*ck Shankland is going nowhere. 

Yes, Sunderland are a huge club who play in front of a huge support so it would be no surprise to see anyone from our league jump at the chance of a move to the Stadium of Light, however AFC Fylde is like a glamour transfer to the Talbot !!

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Cardle is at the end of his career. Wee pay day for him down there and possibly getting his coaching badges? Shankland much better than that. An Ayr Utd Xl scudded they diddies.

1 hour ago, Waniche said:

Being a good coach doesn’t have anything to do with the type of player you are/were. Many good coaches havn’t played at any level. Good luck to him anyway, nice bloke. 

I get an update from his dad every week on how he's doing. Unsure whether or not there's any emphasis put on it all. Though, in saying that, if Mickey Donald can make a bomb in America (not a literal one, Trump wouldn't have it.) then a player like Shankland could be the next Bradley Wright-Phillips, who makes a hell of a lot of money. Obviously, this happening would be a long-shot.