The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

First post here... I've been reading for long enough so thought I should join in.

I don't think Shankland is going anywhere in this transfer window. Regardless of the fee we're willing to sell him for, I think Shankland is smart and knows that at this stage, money isn't everything.

People in this thread have been going on about how everyone would leave their jobs if they were offered 2, 3 times the wage... but being happy, scoring goals, being adored by fans, and being settled in home life etc is perhaps more important to him at this stage. Money isn't everything. He could be on a large salary but on the bench, loaned out to a League 2/Conference side, away from his family and feeling miserable. No matter how much you were getting paid in your job, the chances are if you weren't enjoying it, you'd take a wage cut to be happier.

Yes he will leave eventually, and I hope it's at the end of the season, with us finishing in the top half, who knows, we might even do better. Shankland will go on to do well and make good money elsewhere. We need to think long term, and not just take the cash we see infront of us. Keeping fans at Somerset, making us appealing to potential buyers, and future up and coming players is vital.

Nice of Calvin to compare Shankland to BCH stock, as both being “on the up”.
Were Coventry not sniffing about in January and Sunderland were looking at McDaid?
Good of the club to keep putting out statements.....however can interpreted both ways. 

Yeah I seem to remember Coventry being interested and I think Shankland was as well but said the money being offered wasn’t enough for him to move house and leave his side job as a personal trainer.

There were a whole host of English scouts watching McDaid and I seem to remember someone on here that spoke to one at the Airdrie game towards the end of the season. He seemed to think that McDaid was by far our best player but wasn’t being used properly and Shankland wouldn’t be able to score in the league above.

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

I thought that too but read this morning that it's all leagues, with Championship and below still able to sign frees and loans, hence Villa trying to rush through McGinn off Hibs

Does it also close then for non-league? :whistle

Being honest I'd like to seethe better players staying in the Scottish game.

I can't see Sunderland getting Shankland either and if he were to make a move to an even bigger club he'd sign for Dunfermline (Beadling seen the light), but Shankland would be on our bench being honest.

8 minutes ago, AyrshireRon said:

Couldn't see him being anywhere near that right now, maybe a million or two.

They've already had interest around that figure.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

£1m, ffs emoji38.png

Laugh all you like!

He's contracted to Ayr, hes happy at Ayr, we don't need the money and we have no motivation to sell that I can see.

He won't be going unless it's a silly offer - in my opinion it's £1m.

Laugh all you like!
He's contracted to Ayr, hes happy at Ayr, we don't need the money and we have no motivation to sell that I can see.
You won't get offered anything close to £1m for him. I don't know about Ayr's financial situation but I'd be extremely surprised if they turned down anything over 250k.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:
Laugh all you like!

You won't get offered anything close to £1m for him. I don't know about Ayr's financial situation but I'd be extremely surprised if they turned down anything over 250k.

Prepare to be surprised. :thumsup2

15 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

As much as everyone loves him at Ayr,it would be a gamble to pay all that money after one good season in lower leagues.  Think if a team offers 250k then he's off, hopefully they do. 

Worth more than £250k but not worth £1m at the moment, he's hardly started his football career.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

No that’s nonsense.

They’re other ways for the club to communicate with other clubs to make them aware of what’s happening with Shankland. They don’t need to disguise it as an update to the fans.

Sorry but a club in England puts a slightly different slant on things. In addition to a large wage rise factor in win bonus , car , house and various other add ons. Total package is a hefty amount due to silly money down south. As much as the club can knock back offers the players also have a huge amount of power these days. Ideally would like to  keep him until at least January but Shanklands current hot form seems to be creating further interest and generating momentum that will be difficult to stop 

Sorry but a club in England puts a slightly different slant on things. In addition to a large wage rise factor in win bonus , car , house and various other add ons. Total package is a hefty amount due to silly money down south. As much as the club can knock back offers the players also have a huge amount of power these days. Ideally would like to  keep him until at least January but Shanklands current hot form seems to be creating further interest and generating momentum that will be difficult to stop 

I don’t disagree with that. What I’m saying is that statement that Ayr made wasn’t a way of making other clubs aware of him.

Anything around 250k would be very difficult for the board to turn down. I hope we're smart and get add-ons included in any deal.

There will be an awful lot of managers feeling a bit stupid now for not taking a punt on him in the summer.

What's the cost of relegation? 

Home fans in Champ - 1800 (maybe optimistic)

Away fans in Champ - 500 (average)

Total = 2,300 

Home fans in League 1 - 1500

Away fans in League 1 - 2 men & their dog

Total = 1502

In my scenario, a loss of 800 fans. Give or take £15 a skull (the price would drop as well in L1) that's a cost of £216k to the club.

Retaining Shankland doesn't guarantee survival but it makes the job easier. Why risk it for £250k? It makes no sense!