The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I just thought say a years extension to his contract just now would really give attractors the message that he ain't going somewhere.

And since it's not a fore gone conclusion that we'll be in the league next season a relegation clause would be appropriate. Plus a release clause of say £300k.

Would be a win win for the club IMO as it would probably put off clubs from trying to sign him just now, wouldn't put us financially at risk as a club as a relegation clause would mean the financial implications of paying Shanklands wage in league 1 would be avoided if he wanted to go. Would also allow us to know we could be in for a big amount of cash next summer if he had a stormer this season in the championship and a club like Sunderland came in. Cause we'd get the 300k plus club would be able to put in clauses and add ons for future.

Can't see it happening though, also wonder if his current contract has a goal bonus in it because that could end up costing someone a fortune emoji23.png.

Deals need to be WIN WIN for both sides, what would Shankland be gaining other than kudos for filling Ayr' pockets.

Would need to be a increase in his weekly pay packet, which is already subsidised I believe. The cash, I would imagine, is not there in the budget. Would need to be a strategy from the board to a). Warn off suiters. b). Reward Shanks. c). Increase the likelihood if a selling fee.

From Shanks longer term point of view, I don't think he would go for it. Means less money for him if the purchasing club is paying a fee that feasibly he could end up with as a signing on fee (£300k in the wallet, thank you very much).

Probable scenario I can see is he bangs in the goals, he more or less gets us to a position where we look safe, and he goes for a decent price in January to a club down south.

Best scenario will be he sees the season out, we challenge at the top end (or dreams of dreams, we go up), and he wants to give it another go with us.

Worst case scenario he goes somewhere dug meat in January like a Dundee or St Mirren (no offence), we get an OK fee, and he ends up with a team challenging at the wrong end of the prem.

Pros.

He is happy right now.

He is scoring like mad right now.

He is signed up till end of season.

We are playing the RIGHT type of football with the RIGHT type of players that clearly suits his style.

Cons

He wants to play at a higher level.

I do fear that it could go tits up for him if he picks the wrong club. 

I do believe that is why he signed for another year.

Right now there is no better club out their for him to shine than Ayr.

Shanks for a season in the championship - this season - this so super important season for us to stay up, full time football, consolidate etc. or a bag of cash - Shanks please 

His goals this season could be PRICELESS 

Deals need to be WIN WIN for both sides, what would Shankland be gaining other than kudos for filling Ayr' pockets.
True, Shankland though would continue to enjoy his game in the championship at a club he loves and is adored by the supporters.

....which he is already doing on his one year contract. If there is nothing extra in it for him it's not a WIN WIN.

I'm in the camp that if we are seen to treat him right and he contributes big time to us doing well in this League, then we will look more attractive to other ambitious talented young players who will see us as a vehicle to further their careers. We can gradually then move to a structure where our key assets are on longer terms contracts that can result in pay-offs for the Club - like we have already started with Murdoch. 

It seems the board is thinking about the longer term benefit to the Club, rather than just trying to milk the windfall that is Shankland.  That means keeping him at Ayr until the January window at  a minimum come what may. Only if we are comfortably mid-table then can we think of letting him go before the end of the season, but nor should we try to renegotiate now his current deal, potentially unsettle him and negatively impact his negotiation hand for his inevitable next move.

We have to be realistic about where we are right now as a Club. We have ambitions to be a fixture in the Championship but it is going to take more than a year or two and a Lawrence Shankland to turn around this club's long underachievement. For the first time in years however, we seem to be on the right path. 

23 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

....which he is already doing on his one year contract. If there is nothing extra in it for him it's not a WIN WIN.

I'm in the camp that if we are seen to treat him right and he contributes big time to us doing well in this League, then we will look more attractive to other ambitious talented young players who will see us as a vehicle to further their careers. We can gradually then move to a structure where our key assets are on longer terms contracts that can result in pay-offs for the Club - like we have already started with Murdoch. 

It seems the board is thinking about the longer term benefit to the Club, rather than just trying to milk the windfall that is Shankland.  That means keeping him at Ayr until the January window at  a minimum come what may. Only if we are comfortably mid-table then can we think of letting him go before the end of the season, but nor should we try to renegotiate now his current deal, potentially unsettle him and negatively impact his negotiation hand for his inevitable next move.

We have to be realistic about where we are right now as a Club. We have ambitions to be a fixture in the Championship but it is going to take more than a year or two and a Lawrence Shankland to turn around this club's long underachievement. For the first time in years however, we seem to be on the right path. 

Funnily enough, I was wondering if Brendan Rodgers is maybe thinking that Ayr could be an excellent fit for the development of promising young Celtic players. I'm sure he's keeping an eye on his young keeper and the type of football that Ayr are playing is sure to have him thinking that we would be an excellent fit to bring on young players in the manner that he wants to see. ie, the ball on the deck, quick passing game.

Just a thought.............

That may have some merit, especially for Celtic but it is not a recipe for a successful Ayr United. We need young ambitious self-confident players who are being released or better still ask to be released to further their careers. They need to be our players if we are to build this Club back up and not just a test ground for Celtic loan players.

That said, there should always be a place for the odd loanee or two, but no more.

[emoji777][emoji777][emoji777] INVERNESS AWAY [emoji777][emoji777][emoji777]

THIS SATURDAY 11TH LOT OF INTEREST AND WE HAVE SEATS AVAILABLE TEXT OR PHONE KERR ON ‭‭07494781345‬‬ FOR MORE INFORMATION BUS WILL LEAVE THE BELLROCK 8:15 !!! THE MORE THAT GO THE CHEAPER IT WILL BE SO GET ALONG AND LETS GET BEHIND THE BOYS [emoji835]️[emoji836]️[emoji835]️[emoji836]️

Just listening to Si Ferrys interview with Simon Donnelly, He describes an Ayr player doing Jackie McNamara at Somerset.....

McNamara flew in to a daft challenge and met Martin Campbell, you heard the crack at the other end of the park. Campbell was the victim in the challenge and for once was the one who walked out of it. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

True, Shankland though would continue to enjoy his game in the championship at a club he loves and is adored by the supporters.

How much of your mortgage can you pay with that love and goodwill?

He's in a line of work where he basically gets ten years to accumulate the wealth that will sustain him for the rest of his life. It was extremely generous signing on for another year when he could have walked and gotten three or four times his current wages in the Conference. It's not like Moffat, who without Ayr would almost certainly still be contentedly banging them in in the Juniors.

I know it's easy to think of football contracts as just abstract ways of working around the impacts of the Bosman ruling, but they're legally binding documents concerning the source of one's livelihood.

7 minutes ago, Thumper said:

How much of your mortgage can you pay with that love and goodwill?

He's in a line of work where he basically gets ten years to accumulate the wealth that will sustain him for the rest of his life. It was extremely generous signing on for another year when he could have walked and gotten three or four times his current wages in the Conference. It's not like Moffat, who without Ayr would almost certainly still be contentedly banging them in in the Juniors.

I know it's easy to think of football contracts as just abstract ways of working around the impacts of the Bosman ruling, but they're legally binding documents concerning the source of one's livelihood.

Spot on. The interview I read today mentioned this time last year he was almost out of football with very little in life to fall back on apart from a fitness qualification. If someone came along tomorrow with a 3 year deal on 2k a week then I reckon he would be mad not to consider. That sort of deal would partially set him up  whereas seeing out a one year deal brings an element of risk via injury or loss of form. Don’t expect him to leave now but January is probably a good half way house for both sides. 

See reserve player Jamie Martin has left the club, had just signed on for another season with the reserve team but his Father has said on Facebook "Although Jamie had re- signed with the reserves for another year , it was becoming very obvious that there would be very little chance of getting 1st team football under the present management ....."

Take from that what you will, looked a good talent by all accounts.

2 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

That may have some merit, especially for Celtic but it is not a recipe for a successful Ayr United. We need young ambitious self-confident players who are being released or better still ask to be released to further their careers. They need to be our players if we are to build this Club back up and not just a test ground for Celtic loan players.

That said, there should always be a place for the odd loanee or two, but no more.

Yes, I would agree with this, however I'd definitely take a couple of Loan players if available as unfortunately that seems to be the model of almost all clubs nowadays but of course I'd always prefer to nurture our own talent and have signed players where possible.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

See reserve player Jamie Martin has left the club, had just signed on for another season with the reserve team but his Father has said on Facebook "Although Jamie had re- signed with the reserves for another year , it was becoming very obvious that there would be very little chance of getting 1st team football under the present management ....."

Watched him regularly. Nice boy, will be no more than a junior player though.

According to soccer base he’s a striker, what exactly is his Dad expecting?

He has Shankland, Moffat, Moore and then likely Forrest, McDaid and McGuffie ahead of him.

How about getting a loan move and showing what you can do instead of just giving up.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Just listening to Si Ferrys interview with Simon Donnelly, He describes an Ayr player doing Jackie McNamara at Somerset.....

McNamara flew in to a daft challenge and met Martin Campbell, you heard the crack at the other end of the park. Campbell was the victim in the challenge and for once was the one who walked out of it. 

I remember this happening very well. 

My friend and I were at the game and my friend is Celtic daft. Bamming each other up I said, jokingly of course 'I hope someone breaks Mcnamaras legs!' felt like a right knobend when it actually happened. 

It was Martyn Campbell looking about himself after it happend, looking for a hole to suck him up, must have felt guilty. 

Found out after the game that Jackie is some sort of obscure relative to mine :-/

That was the last time I said anything about hoping anyone got hurt during a game of football. It's just a game after all. No need for the amount of aggression I had back then towards a game. Its for fun after all. 

Jackie thankfully recovered and is on his way towards becoming a professional manager of another small team somewhere. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
Spelling

According to soccer base he’s a striker, what exactly is his Dad expecting?

He has Shankland, Moffat, Moore and then likely Forrest, McDaid and McGuffie ahead of him.

How about getting a loan move and showing what you can do instead of just giving up.

Exactly a bit of perspective is needed here. I’m all for giving youth a chance but they need to be offering something to the team at the same time.

I’ve got high hopes for guys like Murphy, Ecrepont, Faulds and McCowan but they’ll need to bide their time as it’s looking impossible that anyone could break into this squad. Although I’ve a feeling Ecrepont will do a McGuffie and be fast tracked into the first team this season. We wouldn’t have given him a 3 year contract otherwise.