The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I'd be hoping for a crowd of 2,800 at the minimum and hopefully nearer 3,500.

Partick should be bringing at least 800 - 1,000 down so surely we can manage at least 2,000 of our own fans. Looking at it, we managed over 1,200 of our own supporters in a midweek fixture in the middle of the holiday season against Stenny, so surely to god we can get in an additional 800+ on a Saturday for this match.

Thinking back to our good runs in the Championship, I'm sure it was the 90 -91 season where we were top around Christmas with big Ally banging them in and Greg Shaw coming off the bench to score in every match. Unfortunately the dream was dead by January, however we did have some great memories like the comeback at Cappielow and Cally signing off with a 30 yard screamer. "Geordy Burleys Black & White Army".

This season coming feels very much like the good days are returning..............

26 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Partick should be bringing at least 800 - 1,000 down so surely we can manage at least 2,000 of our own fans. Looking at it, we managed over 1,200 of our own supporters in a midweek fixture in the middle of the holiday season against Stenny, so surely to god we can get in an additional 800+ on a Saturday for this match.

Thinking back to our good runs in the Championship, I'm sure it was the 90 -91 season where we were top around Christmas with big Ally banging them in and Greg Shaw coming off the bench to score in every match. Unfortunately the dream was dead by January, however we did have some great memories like the comeback at Cappielow and Cally signing off with a 30 yard screamer. "Geordy Burleys Black & White Army".

This season coming feels very much like the good days are returning..............

Morrison?

Reference is often made to the Stranraer game but it was only a fiver to get in on a beautiful Sunday that wasn't competing with any other fixtures. There were plenty of folk from Ayr that day but £17 might not attract them back easily. Hope we get at least 3k.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Was only very young back then but still remember Graham and Shaw. Did that shitebag Burley not swap them both to Falkirk for Sam McGivern? Broke up one of the best strikeforces in the league for a twat that refused to play against ‘them’ in the cup. The game we got beat 2-1 and Henderson scored a diving header for us. 

With the continuing buzz and flag day I reckon we’ll have just over 2k Home fans. Yes there were 4K fans for the stranrank playoff final but a lot of fans that day would have travelled a far for it. Stay away fans are dusting off their scarves tho and are starting to believe again. 

21 hours ago, ayrmad said:

No we've not, rarely in the 40 years since we left the top league have we thought there's the slightest chance of giving it a fright.

I wasn’t meaning the top league. That was way before my time. I was referring to being an established Championship (or old 1st division) club with a few good cup runs. Instead of being a yo-yo club between divisions. 

I wasn’t meaning the top league. That was way before my time. I was referring to being an established Championship (or old 1st division) club with a few good cup runs. Instead of being a yo-yo club between divisions. 
This is it for me.

This is how I always see ayr united - but the last 15 years it's simply not been the case.

There's no reason we can't emulate QoS.

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in the long term future, but the short term looks like it could be amazing.

17 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

The forecast for Saturday is sh*te sadly, which might convince some arseholes to just watch Jeff Stelling instead or stay in the pub. This team deserves over 2k backing them every week.

Not sure what forecast you're using but the MET office and BBC currently have it dry for Saturday.

2 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Not sure what forecast you're using but the MET office and BBC currently have it dry for Saturday.

My workplace Intranet has a rain symbol for Saturday, but to be fair I would need a calculator to count the number of times it has been wildly inaccurate.

Was only very young back then but still remember Graham and Shaw. Did that shitebag Burley not swap them both to Falkirk for Sam McGivern? Broke up one of the best strikeforces in the league for a twat that refused to play against ‘them’ in the cup. The game we got beat 2-1 and Henderson scored a diving header for us. 

Graham was sold to Motherwell for 100K, I think. Greg Shaw flattered to deceive and did eventually end up at Falkirk. McGovern did sign for us and at the time I thought he was a good signing, didn’t really work out though!

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Graham was sold to Motherwell for 100K, I think. Greg Shaw flattered to deceive and did eventually end up at Falkirk. McGovern did sign for us and at the time I thought he was a good signing, didn’t really work out though!

Sorry, Yes, meant to reply quicker but see NTG beat me to it. Shaw only really did it from the bench for whatever reason and wasn't a great miss but we did get the £100k for Ally which was a big fee at the time (still a big fee actually). I could be wrong, but I think big Ally went on to play against Bayern Munich for Raith.

It was Sammy McGivern we got and I always quite liked him and thought he wasn't bad for us, although his Killie links meant that many never gave him a chance, I still golf with him at the weekend and he's a complete joker with a great sense of humour.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Greg Shaw is my earliest memory of having a hero in an Ayr shirt. I only just can't recall Templeton and co, though I was taken to the games.

Didn't we get Stevie Bryce as part of the Ally Graham deal?

Yes, I think you're right, another player I liked but felt he could have been even better.