The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I know it's not quite this simple, however if you were to compare our current squad with our squad who were narrowly relegated on the last day of the season on our previous visit to the Championship, I think we'd all agree that it's night and day and that this current squad is hugely ahead in terms of talent, depth and fitness.

I may well have to eat my words, but I think we have a squad who could be challenging the top 6 places as opposed to being cannon fodder and relegation certainties, all will be revealed over the coming weeks and months of course.............

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I know it's not quite this simple, however if you were to compare our current squad with our squad who were narrowly relegated on the last day of the season on our previous visit to the Championship, I think we'd all agree that it's night and day and that this current squad is hugely ahead in terms of talent, depth and fitness.

I may well have to eat my words, but I think we have a squad who could be challenging the top 6 places as opposed to being cannon fodder and relegation certainties, all will be revealed over the coming weeks and months of course.............

I agree with that - but the great unknown for teams like Ayr United is injuries, especially to key players and positions. Would a Shankland, Doohan or Crawford calamity change anyone's view of our chances of survival in the Championship? Reckon so.. 

It was unfortunate that the end of last season was almost a disaster as it partially hid the fact we scored 124 goals last season and were hugely entertaining throughout, despite the goalkeeping calamities. I'm hoping we have at least one more memorable season with McCall in charge. Reid's teams were never this good to watch.

2 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I agree with that - but the great unknown for teams like Ayr United is injuries, especially to key players and positions. Would a Shankland, Doohan or Crawford calamity change anyone's view of our chances of survival in the Championship? Reckon so.. 

Yes, you're right with that and I agree, however QOS probably rely on Dobbie even more than our few stars and I suppose most clubs at our level will be much the same.

It was unfortunate that the end of last season was almost a disaster as it partially hid the fact we scored 124 goals last season and were hugely entertaining throughout, despite the goalkeeping calamities. I'm hoping we have at least one more memorable season with McCall in charge. Reid's teams were never this good to watch.
Reid's sides were normally good to watch in the first few games then it became a defensive shitfest once that was knocked out of them.

I always find it amusing when people criticise Reid for the semi final against Killie.  If you look back over the last 30 years, how many part time teams have gotten to the semis of a national cup competition?   I’m not clear if there is even one other team that managed it.

Not to mention that we knocked out 25% of the SPL to get there - no easy ties against soft opposition!  And yet Reid’s great sin was employing the tactics that got us there but did not take us all the way to the final.  I mean seriously, what is the expectation level?  If we’d been beat by any other SPL club (after extra time), we’d look back on that cup run as a pretty extraordinary effort from a very limited group of players who achieved something that plenty of better Ayr teams never did.  You’d honestly think we’ve been to dozens of semi finals in our history, rather than (by my count) 5.

44 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I always find it amusing when people criticise Reid for the semi final against Killie.  If you look back over the last 30 years, how many part time teams have gotten to the semis of a national cup competition?   I’m not clear if there is even one other team that managed it.

Not to mention that we knocked out 25% of the SPL to get there - no easy ties against soft opposition!  And yet Reid’s great sin was employing the tactics that got us there but did not take us all the way to the final.  I mean seriously, what is the expectation level?  If we’d been beat by any other SPL club (after extra time), we’d look back on that cup run as a pretty extraordinary effort from a very limited group of players who achieved something that plenty of better Ayr teams never did.  You’d honestly think we’ve been to dozens of semi finals in our history, rather than (by my count) 5.

In looking at who signed reid in the first place (Connor or Watt) for him to hang up his boots at the end of that season. I'm sure he and Mark Mcgeown did a Managerial stint when there wasn't a manager in place. To go from a player to a manager as he did, to get to a semi final is an achievement. 

Though again, the semi final was awful. Part time or not, it wasnt football. It was shite. If you've got there, give it a bash. Even in the second half, he could have attacked more. To lose the way we did, might not have been as embarrassing but it was a hell of a lot more painful.

I'm sure he tried to play the same type of football at Stair Park. Got no where. 

McCall however, has previously won promotion with Clydebank and won the challenge cup with Airdr*e. Added to what he has done at Ayr, Partick and Dundee United, He has seen it all at the level we are now at, I have faith he will continue taking Ayr further up this League. 

2 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

At least two part time teams have been to semis in the last 30 years. St Johnstone took Rangers to a replay in 1989 and Clydebank played Celtic in 1990, both in the Scottish Cup.  Probably the best performance of that era was in 1982 when bottom tier Forfar took Rangers to a replay in the Scottish Cup semi final.

I don't think the tactics v Killie were wrong as such; I think it's more that game in particular was our biggest ever vs them, national stage, huge crowd, opportunity to try and entice a few back and it was just a bit of a wet fart of a game.

35 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Forfar took Rangers to a replay

I wish it had went to a replay. I'm sure that if it had, we'd have beat them.

Unfortunately it was at Hampden, where the only resolution was extra time and penalties.

I still think Dean Shiels is a c**t. 

9 minutes ago, Edmond Dantès said:

Didn't make the game tonight. How was it?

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Absolute pish.

Nah, just tell all your pals to get down to Somerset for the Partick game next week, this team have been a joy to watch going forward so far at home.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

I didn't think it would ever happen but Glynn Hurst has been replaced as my favourite Ayr player ever, that man who now holds that special place in my heart is Lawrence Shankland take a bow son!

He done f**k all for last half hour.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

I didn't think it would ever happen but Glynn Hurst has been replaced as my favourite Ayr player ever, that man who now holds that special place in my heart is Lawrence Shankland take a bow son!

He'll go far in the game. It's great to have a player of his quality in our team. A true goalscorer.