The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Waniche said:

The main problem I had with Reid was his attitude towards the fans at times. 

One personal one to me was when my son had saved up his pocket money to buy a new home top. Reid was in the shop and my son who was only 7 asked him if he’d sign his top and he turned to him, laughed and said “no, I’m too busy for that”. McKenzie turned to him and said “sign the wee boys top you miserable dick”. I walked over and grabbed it out Reid’s hand and said “ it’s alright, don’t want you to ruin it”......plus a few choice words. 

That's no nice. Arrogant p***k. Fans are the life and blood of every team, I get annoyed when the players don't high five the ball boys when they ask. Always remember Neil Duffy walking up to me in the shop in 1998 and asking if I wanted my shirt signed, said yes and got taken to the changing room and met the whole team :-)

I really hope that didn't put your wee man off supporting the team. Must be an Ex-Rangers player thing with Reid being Far far too good for Ayr fans. 

Just now, 1nickydevlin said:

Ayr utd players 

A to Z .google it refreshes the memory of all the real shit players we've had .

That’s where I got the international goalkeepers from lol. Some absolute horrors that soil the name of Ayr United.

The worst signing in my memory has to be Mark Duthie from Livi. I think it was around 40k and the legend is that they owed Barr for the stadium so offered us any of their players instead of cash as they were rooked. Christ, he was hopeless.

As for Managers, Dalziel was another arrogant tosser and I recall coming across him and his best mate Mark Campbell in the club de mar on more than a few occasions, where the pair of them just came across as complete wankers. Granted they were probably wrecked like the rest of us, but still no excuse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932616
On another note what do we all make of this, good to see 'reserve' football is back and not that pishy 'development' stuff.
Disappointing though that we appear to be in the pub team section with the exception of Raith Rovers and Livingston.

Delighted that the reserve league is back. Under 20s league is no use as you’re only playing against boys. With the reserves there’s the opportunity to be playing alongside first team players that are coming back from injury and also playing against teams with senior players in it as well.

I’ll probably end up going to a lot of the home reserve games this season depending on dates etc. Had very little interest in attending the Under 20s matches tbh.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Delighted that the reserve league is back. Under 20s league is no use as you’re only playing against boys. With the reserves there’s the opportunity to be playing alongside first team players that are coming back from injury and also playing against teams with senior players in it as well.

I’ll probably end up going to a lot of the home reserve games this season depending on dates etc. Had very little interest in attending the Under 20s matches tbh.

Last reserve game I attended was against Celtic, the John Kennedy come back.... Didn't happen. 

19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The worst signing in my memory has to be Mark Duthie from Livi. I think it was around 40k and the legend is that they owed Barr for the stadium so offered us any of their players instead of cash as they were rooked. Christ, he was hopeless.

Did we not pay something completely ridiculous like nearly £80k for Alex Bone from Stirling.......he went on to play about 10 games scoring twice. I might be wrong about the transfer fee but it was something crazy. 

22 minutes ago, Waniche said:

Did we not pay something completely ridiculous like nearly £80k for Alex Bone from Stirling.......he went on to play about 10 games scoring twice. I might be wrong about the transfer fee but it was something crazy. 

Yeah, it was roughly 55k (as far as I'm aware) plus add ons. Another player threw into the Dalziel 'Not really needed but buy anyway' category. Maybe it was the add ons that prevented him getting more game time. 

Edited by Roxanne's man

The argument over who was better out of Reid and McCall seems to come up once or twice a season.

My view is McCall has achieved more than Reid in a shorter period of time and this will only be enhanced if he can keep us up this season.

In just under 5 seasons at Ayr Brian Reid won the playoffs twice and both resulted in relegations after one season. I’d also add that whilst the first promotion was great it came after well and truly blowing the league against Alloa on the second last day. Both promotions resulted in relegations the following season.

In 3 and a half seasons at Ayr Ian McCall has also achieved 2 promotions but has the one up due to the second being as league champions. Since we have no idea what will happen this season we can only really judge his singular season in the Championship and quite frankly it was a disaster. From having no proper strikers, to not winning a match in months, to wasting a lot of money on big names like Harkins to have them underperform meant that there was a justified reason for Cameron to axe him. Good thing he kept faith and McCall returned the favour with a brilliant season the following year.

In terms of cup performances I’d say Reid has the edge but only just. He delivered brilliant cup runs beating Hibs, Hearts and Inverness whereas despite getting to the QF of the Scottish Cup two seasons ago under McCall we had a very easy run and if anything we made hard work of it.

I’d say overall McCall is better than Reid when you take into account league performance, style of football and also the way we’ve progressed behind the scene going FT.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

The argument over who was better out of Reid and McCall seems to come up once or twice a season.

My view is McCall has achieved more than Reid in a shorter period of time and this will only be enhanced if he can keep us up this season.

In just under 5 seasons at Ayr Brian Reid won the playoffs twice and both resulted in relegations after one season. I’d also add that whilst the first promotion was great it came after well and truly blowing the league against Alloa on the second last day. Both promotions resulted in relegations the following season.

In 3 and a half seasons at Ayr Ian McCall has also achieved 2 promotions but has the one up due to the second being as league champions. Since we have no idea what will happen this season we can only really judge his singular season in the Championship and quite frankly it was a disaster. From having no proper strikers, to not winning a match in months, to wasting a lot of money on big names like Harkins to have them underperform meant that there was a justified reason for Cameron to axe him. Good thing he kept faith and McCall returned the favour with a brilliant season the following year.

In terms of cup performances I’d say Reid has the edge but only just. He delivered brilliant cup runs beating Hibs, Hearts and Inverness whereas despite getting to the QF of the Scottish Cup two seasons ago under McCall we had a very easy run and if anything we made hard work of it.

I’d say overall McCall is better than Reid when you take into account league performance, style of football and also the way we’ve progressed behind the scene going FT.

Are we factoring in budgets when evaluating all these managers?

Are we factoring in budgets when evaluating all these managers?

There’s a reason Cameron didn’t give the same amount of cash to Reid to spend compared to what McCall got. There’s also no guarantee that had Reid been given more money he would’ve done better. More money doesn’t automatically mean success. You still need competent managers that spend it wisely.

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s a reason Cameron didn’t give the same amount of cash to Reid to spend compared to what McCall got. There’s also no guarantee that had Reid been given more money he would’ve done better. More money doesn’t automatically mean success. You still need competent managers that spend it wisely.

My fear is, that if Ayr get Relagated (I have severely high hopes that they won't.) Mccall will leave the club, taking all the players that only signed a one year deal with him. Leaving Ayr as a dump again. Cameron will get fed up and Jack it in and sell to the first bidder. 

Edited by Roxanne's man