The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Hursty said:

The thing that bugs me re: the keeper is that it seems to be the only position where fans seem to have less patience with a youngster than they would with someone 'experienced'. 

I was thinking as an example Scully at Morton - saw folk using him as an example of an experienced keeper we should be signing - yet look at the 2 errors he made on his Morton debut against us.  I cant help but feel that is Doohan had made those errors on his debut he would have been slaughtered, but if we had signed Scully and he did it, he would have been given a chance before being written off.   

I think it's because if a youngster is playing in the outfield 10 and makes a mistake it's highly likely that A - the mistake won't lead to a goal and B - there is another 9 outfield players there to try and help him out and prevent any danger happening from the mistake.

Problem with the goalie is that if he makes a mistake there's a 99% chance the outcome of it is that we've conceded a goal and possibly now losing the game.

Do agree though that the goalie position seems to get constant abuse now and majority of supporters seem to have a very little patience or willingness to give him a chance. Personally i was very impressed in the Morton game when he came out and caught the cross and did a massive throw up the pitch to try and get us countering from the corner. With our quick attackers, a goalie who's willing to do that could come in handy in games which are stretched and in scenarios where there's a chance to break.

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I think it's because if a youngster is playing in the outfield 10 and makes a mistake it's highly likely that A - the mistake won't lead to a goal and B - there is another 9 outfield players there to try and help him out and prevent any danger happening from the mistake.

Problem with the goalie is that if he makes a mistake there's a 99% chance the outcome of it is that we've conceded a goal and possibly now losing the game.

Do agree though that the goalie position seems to get constant abuse now and majority of supporters seem to have a very little patience or willingness to give him a chance. Personally i was very impressed in the Morton game when he came out and caught the cross and did a massive throw up the pitch to try and get us countering from the corner. With our quick attackers, a goalie who's willing to do that could come in handy in games which are stretched and in scenarios where there's a chance to break.

Aye I totally get that - it's more just the fact that the exact same mistakes from a more experienced keeper would be less focussed on, certainly in their first few games.  Fleming being a perfect example.  Still - only time will tell - fingers well and truly crossed that he gets a good few solid games under his belt to begin with. 

Just let Doohan get on with it. If he makes mistakes, he will learn from them. All this talk of how inexperienced he is and how we could do with an experienced Keeper is nonsense, Mccall brought him in to do a job and shows a bit of faith in the boy, we should have faith as well. Doohan will get nowhere if we are continuously negative about his performances. 

As for slating him at games when he makes a mistake, he's what? 20 years old? Goalkeepers can play on to their mid forties. Signed on with Celtic for four years for a reason. So I'm going to back the Doohan chappie for the future. It all starts at Somerset :-) 

The Albion keeper did get absolute dogs abuse. The amount of times that “fat c***” was shouted at him was staggering. Saying it once in the heat of the moment if something significant happens then I’m sure most people can turn a blind eye but I can understand other people getting upset at the same fans shouting it over and over when there are kids with them. Just no need. 

Edited by Calayrdonia

It's not just us though, using Scully as the example, the Morton fans DID slaughter him and many of them have already made up their minds that they've signed a dud.

As for us, we've just signed the current Scotland U21 keeper who's parent club is huge in Scottish terms and pretty decent in European terms, their Manager is also very highly regarded across the game and he's just seen fit to hand the boy a 4 year contract, not only that but Doohan has been learning and training with the best keeper in Scotland in recent years, so personally I think we've done pretty well by getting him.

As another reality check, we should remember that there's not exactly a host of top quality available kepers out there and certainly not loads unsigned who are just dying to come and play for a club who've just been promoted to Scotlands 2nd tier.

Let's just all get behind the team and get excited about what could potentially be one of our best and most exciting seasons in well over a decade...............

Was sitting thinking about past keepers and how many we’ve had in our past that played at international level. So far found:

Kristian Finnbogason - Iceland

Thomas Gill - Norway

Jens Martin Knudsen - Faroe Islands

Alan Rough - Scotland (Although only played one game for Ayr)

Henry Smith - Scotland

David Stewart - Scotland

Yes, I am bored lol

35 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

The Albion keeper did get absolute dogs abuse. The amount of times that “fat c***” was shouted at him was staggering. Saying it once in the heat of the moment if something significant happens then I’m sure most people can turn a blind eye but I can understand other people getting upset at the same fans shouting it over and over when there are kids with them. Just no need. 

Actually had to explain to my boy that the Goalkeeper was Mr. Blobby. (It was the only little people substitute I could think of at the time.) and that the people shouting at him were just singing the Mr. Bobby song. 

He was pretty big for a keeper tbf. Though keepers have feelings too.....

And fridges full of donuts by the looks of it. 

51 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

If your getting upset over an opposition player being called a fat c**t then I don’t think football is the sport for you. 

50 minutes ago, Waniche said:

Was sitting thinking about past keepers and how many we’ve had in our past that played at international level. So far found:

Kristian Finnbogason - Iceland

Thomas Gill - Norway

Jens Martin Knudsen - Faroe Islands

Alan Rough - Scotland (Although only played one game for Ayr)

Henry Smith - Scotland

David Stewart - Scotland

Yes, I am bored lol

If we were sticking in U21 caps,  we could add quite a few to that list, including David Castilla.

Has to be done. Waniche is bored.

Line up the Worst Ayr united team you've ever seen. Every position can be filled with a player you think is the worst you've ever seen at Somerset. I'll start with... 

John Hillcoat, Tommy Tait, Michael Renwick, James Mckinstry, Jordan Tait, Paul Cairney, Anthony Marenghi,  Steven Boyack, Craig Beattie, David Dunn and Graeme Brown. 

I'm only 28 and I've kinda made the players semi recent. Please add worse :-) 

30 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Has to be done. Waniche is bored.

Line up the Worst Ayr united team you've ever seen. Every position can be filled with a player you think is the worst you've ever seen at Somerset. I'll start with... 

John Hillcoat, Tommy Tait, Michael Renwick, James Mckinstry, Jordan Tait, Paul Cairney, Anthony Marenghi,  Steven Boyack, Craig Beattie, David Dunn and Graeme Brown. 

I'm only 28 and I've kinda made the players semi recent. Please add worse :-) 

I'd say there's quite a few decent players in that bunch. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Ronnie Yuill

Impossible to find on Google. Must be a fantastic player. Worst player I've ever seen is John Hillcoat, worst goalkeeper I've ever seen for Ayr by a long shot. Sure, we could sit and criticise Ruddy, Hart or any other young keeper for making small mistakes. Hillcoat though.... He made a c**t of being a c**t. Shit goalie. Shit columnist. Just shit.