The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Today was a good wee day out. The only slight annoyance I had was that Harvie was at the left and Bell was in the middle with the big farmer. Murdoch was playing out right too.

I noticed that too. Surely the spfl have a standard that they have to keep at all grounds. Though, in respect, I've been comparing all away grounds to Somerset. Stair park is the worst IMO. 

Maybe that's why you thought Harvie was in the middle, Bell was at fullback and Murdoch was on the right. Too busy checking the pitch out.

So what was the slight annoyance you had with the way McCall set up again?

1 minute ago, placidcasual said:

So what was the slight annoyance you had with the way McCall set up again?

It was me being a pillock. Sorry, I got Bell and Harvie mixed up while typing. Was surprised Rose never started, must be fitness or something. I dunno... 

My annoyance, slight as it may be..... Forrest was playing a sort of central type role, did well getting forward for the goal, behind him were Crawford and Murdoch, who made good attacking runs and so on...  Mcdaid IMO is a great left midfielder, he has Harvie (not Bell) coming up behind him, to help him out and set up the attack for goals.

My concern is the same cannot be said for the other side of the field. Yes, Murdoch did great on his runs on the right and a few times had Crawford/Mcguffie help him out and each had that attacking threat on the right side. Though they don't get the same support from the full-back (Ferguson) as Mcdaid does from Harvie. 

That's my winging over. 

30 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Thought it would just be some fan but it's someone with access to dressing room etc, that's class

We all love Dobbie

I'm very new to twitter (i know) but thats got me chuckling.  4 cheap pints, a gallon of water, a wee black tactics book, Dobbie and the gaffer. Higgys wet dream haha

Reckon it's Docherty, not going to be Higgins and he's the only other one with plenty of time atm due to his injury, the one with his two loves 'My two favourite things, the gaffer and my black folder' is hilarious haha

All of a sudden Tuesday becomes a big game - any win and it's a "group winners final" v Partick a week today which is then of course immediately followed up with a rematch in the league opener.   

That's of course assuming Partick beat Albion, which they will. 

Edited by Hursty

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did something happen between our fans at the game today? Stuff on the SRE page but no ones really said what happened.

Was wondering that myself, wasn't at the game so can't comment.

I was thinking that maybe Callum was on holiday but that’s been a good few weeks and it’s someone else so who knows.

Has the commentary changed?
The guy doing the interviews, not sure about the commentary, maybe putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but seamed to change after the tweet about being disappointed at not being able to interview the 3 new signings

16 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Very true. Probably good that the first game where he will likely come under some pressure will be away from home against Thistle. A howler from him at home and that'll be him a scapegoat in the eyes of many. 

Silly thing to say..  I think there’s just an understandable concern after the trials we had last season with the goalkeeping position that we ought to have found an experienced keeper rather than gambling again on an unproven loan signing.  In fairness to McCall, there really weren’t that many obvious candidates out there.  

I also worry about the terms of these loan signings, where there are financial penalties for not playing them even if they aren’t cutting it.  There was more than a suggestion last season that we had to pay Ruddy’s wages if we chose not to play him, which became unsustainable towards the end of the end of the season given his form - the goal he conceded at East Fife was one of the most unprofessional things I’ve ever seen - no surprise to me that Ruddy never played again for the first team after that game and was quietly punted back to Wolves.  

Silly thing to say..  I think there’s just an understandable concern after the trials we had last season with the goalkeeping position that we ought to have found an experienced keeper rather than gambling again on an unproven loan signing.  In fairness to McCall, there really weren’t that many obvious candidates out there.  
I also worry about the terms of these loan signings, where there are financial penalties for not playing them even if they aren’t cutting it.  There was more than a suggestion last season that we had to pay Ruddy’s wages if we chose not to play him, which became unsustainable towards the end of the end of the season given his form - the goal he conceded at East Fife was one of the most unprofessional things I’ve ever seen - no surprise to me that Ruddy never played again for the first team after that game and was quietly punted back to Wolves.  
Ruddy should never have been given the dignity of being allowed to return back to Wolves "injured" should have just been punted for being shite.

How is that a silly thing to say?

Do you think hounding a young goalkeeper when he makes a single mistake is going to be productive?

Last year should have no impact on Doohan but far too many of our support are too thick to realise that you get just as many shite experienced keepers as you get young keepers.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Ruddy should never have been given the dignity of being allowed to return back to Wolves "injured" should have just been punted for being shite

Couldn't agree more. Wtf is a Premier league club going to do with a player like Ruddy anyway? Not exactly first-team material, for a Lower league scottish team, never mind English Premier. 

Couldn't agree more. Wtf is a Premier league club going to do with a player like Ruddy anyway? Not exactly first-team material, for a Lower league scottish team, never mind English Premier. 

Although I agree that Ruddy is never English Premier League standard I don’t think any Ayr fan would’ve expected Scott McKenna to be a regular for Aberdeen and make his debut for Scotland less than 12 months after leaving us.

I wouldn’t judge too many young players on a loan spell at a club.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Although I agree that Ruddy is never English Premier League standard I don’t think any Ayr fan would’ve expected Scott McKenna to be a regular for Aberdeen and make his debut for Scotland less than 12 months after leaving us.

I wouldn’t judge too many young players on a loan spell at a club.

Very good point. I never rated Scott Mckenna either. :-) 

23 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I actually think Ruddy has the potential to become a very good keeper. The thing holding him back at the minute is his attitude. Still a young guy so time to screw the nut but only time will tell if he grows up quick enough 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

How is that a silly thing to say?

Do you think hounding a young goalkeeper when he makes a single mistake is going to be productive?

Last year should have no impact on Doohan but far too many of our support are too thick to realise that you get just as many shite experienced keepers as you get young keepers.

If you really are concerned for the goalies welfare should you not be more worried if McCall has signed someone who is up to playing at this level? Likewise if he makes a few howlers and confidence is shot will he be  managed correctly or just stubbornly selected each week? The fans have a part to play here however it’s the manager that deserves the finger pointing on this particular subject.