The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Was always a bit disappointed with McLaughlin.  He was club captain at the point Roberts departed when we were in all sorts of trouble and in real danger of being relegated - I think he owed it to us to dig deep and play a part in helping the incoming manager get us out of danger.  Seems clear that McCall tried to convince him to stay as well.

Was it Roberts who let Mark Shankland go and then stopped him from signing a professional deal elsewhere?

I remember hearing that White wasn’t too happy at that considering how highly rated he was.

If he let him go then he wouldn’t have been able to stop him signing a professional deal?

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Even regardless of this (and I agree) for the assistant manager to actively then try and stop the first team accessing equipment is beyond pathetic and should have seen him out the door immediately.

The backstabbing thing is something I first heard about ten years ago from a former colleague who knew him.

The most worrying aspect however is the assertion that he is a poor coach.

Also I had no idea it was £13 entry yesterday until I noticed the post from the club yesterday afternoon - the game wasn’t really publicised at all.

I'm someone who thinks our football is too expensive but yesterday was well worth £13.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

If he let him go then he wouldn’t have been able to stop him signing a professional deal?

We didn’t let him go.  Shankland refused to sign a contract and we retained his registration which we were entitled to do due to his age.

Lets face it, that whole period was a disaster from start to finish which no one, from the chairman down, comes away from with any credit.    I might make an exception for Andy Millen who always seemed like an honest guy doing his best in an impossible situation.  I blame that guy for posting the link to his podcast for even raising the subject of Mark Roberts.

13 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Was always a bit disappointed with McLaughlin.  He was club captain at the point Roberts departed when we were in all sorts of trouble and in real danger of being relegated - I think he owed it to us to dig deep and play a part in helping the incoming manager get us out of danger.  Seems clear that McCall tried to convince him to stay as well.

Nah,I thought it was a good outcome for Ayr at that point in time, I said he wouldn't be missed at the time and he wasn't.

He wasn't on £200/300 a week either.

Edited by ayrmad

Please, I don't wish to disrespect or offend anyone (outwith the kilmarnock support) but the whole 'Roberts/White/McLaughlin' scenario is over with, its the kind of pish that you'd find in an American teenager movie with all the bitching and so on, its in the past. It was times when ayr were, from today's standards, very shit and struggled in the league, hence the relegation battle. Ayr have improved so much with Mccall at the helm, better all round, bringing youth through and scoring 100 odd goals for fun. 

McCall is a far superior manager than Roberts IMO. Let's get behind this team as Ayr are much much better now than what they were then and leave the former managers fallout alone. Thank f**k its in the past. MON AYR! The future is Black & White! 

Edited by Roxanne's man

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

Please, I don't wish to disrespect or offend anyone (outwith the kilmarnock support) but the whole 'Roberts/White/McLaughlin' scenario is over with, its the kind of pish that you'd find in an American teenager movie with all the bitching and so on, its in the past. It was times when ayr were, from today's standards, very shit and struggled in the league, hence the relegation battle. Ayr have improved so much with Mccall at the helm, better all round, bringing youth through and scoring 100 odd goals for fun. 

McCall is a far superior manager than Roberts IMO. Let's get behind this team as Ayr are much much better now than what they were then and leave the former managers fallout alone. Thank f**k its in the past. MON AYR! 

White will always be relevant as long as he's fronting the academy.

And he’s done a pretty good job with the academy.

McCall won’t let White do what he did to Roberts. Probably why he put him off the coaching staff and out of the way.

38 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Yeah and has done a great job over the last few years or so. Though I do agree it was pathetic for him to prevent the first team accessing equipment. Sounds like a war of Arrogance, where he still saw Roberts as a player as opposed to the manager, who occasionally played. 

Again though, it's in the past. Ayr are sooooooo much better now. The Academy is doing great. Roberts is away playing for some slum village near Ayrshires biggest shithole. McLaughlin is away at Albion rovers, repetitively moaning about his time at Morton. 

Leave it like that. New Times, New team and a Hell of a lot of talent at Somerset. Ayr is on the up. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
The only way is up....

Just felt he was off pace at times and yes some excellent passes but they were outweighed with some stinkers. I’m just being pernickity and there was no fault on any players part. 
I didn’t expect much of a crowd but those that were there saw something we’ve craved for a long long time. 
I just hope we can establish ourselves. It’s early and off one competitive game, I think we will and shock a few neysayers. 

Generally I’m not a fan of Kerr’s, I think he’s too old and slow for this level but yesterday he was outstanding. Don’t get the he was off the pace comment!

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Generally I’m not a fan of Kerr’s, I think he’s too old and slow for this level but yesterday he was outstanding. Don’t get the he was off the pace comment!

Read your post back and you answered my comment. Yes he played well, didn’t once say he didn’t. 

3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Nah,I thought it was a good outcome for Ayr at that point in time, I said he wouldn't be missed at the time and he wasn't.

He wasn't on £200/300 a week either.

What was he on?