The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

38 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Is Luke McGowan doing any good down in Ayr? I used to play boys club with him and imo he was never a 'stand out' player with us?

And what football team did you play with? 

Edited by Roxanne's man
People think I'm digging.

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

And what football team do you play with? 

That wasn't the question and to be honest my second point was more of a 'has he suddenly developed' than a dig which is great when written in text. However it does make you wonder why the typical stand out players (not insinuating myself as I can hardly kick a ball) don't move onto semi-pro or senior football - maybe that's why we've failed to qualify for a competitive tournament in over 20 years?

Is Luke McGowan doing any good down in Ayr? I used to play boys club with him and imo he was never a 'stand out' player with us?
Hard to say, can't remember him getting any time last season, if he did it was a few minutes here and there. May change this season though

Hard to say, can't remember him getting any time last season, if he did it was a few minutes here and there. May change this season though

He scored against East Stirling in the cup and played the last 5 or 10 mins against Queens Park at Hampden but apart from that I don’t think he played.

44 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

That wasn't the question and to be honest my second point was more of a 'has he suddenly developed' than a dig which is great when written in text. However it does make you wonder why the typical stand out players (not insinuating myself as I can hardly kick a ball) don't move onto semi-pro or senior football - maybe that's why we've failed to qualify for a competitive tournament in over 20 years?

Guess that's a problem with Scottish Football as a whole. Scott Mckenna, who I personally didn't rate when he played at Somerset, is now the national teams main centre back. Its a funny one you've pointed out. Was a lot of great players when I was playing that went to nothing, myself included. It must be only a certain few that slip through the net :-/

Also, may I ask what team you played with him in? Meant to write 'did' not 'do' and wasn't meant to be a dig. I'd like to know where he progressed from, someone must think highly of him. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
LET'S SIGN STEVIE WONDER AS OUR GOALIE!

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

Was a 'stand out' player both times I watched the u20 side last season.  He got a very small amount of game time with the first team last season but it was up front rather than in midfield so it's hard to say much really. 

8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

He got a very small amount of game time with the first team last season

I think there's a chance for this boy in the coming season. We've already talked about giving Ecrepont and Hare-reid a bash at first team duties, whether Luke McCowan is stand out or not, I think I'd like to see him more in the coming season and give him the time to prove what he can do. Younger players just need a little extra confidence to play better, Ian Mccall must see something in him. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
Coz my phone automatically spells people's names. Even Donald c**t, president of America.

Agree with all our "players" from the past, all bring back great memories but another full back I didn't see listed was Gary Agnew who I always thought could have made it all the way if injury hadn't done him. Not to mention super Duncan George in the middle of midfield spreading the ball about and destroying anyone who had the audacity to contest a 50/50 ball with him, despite the fact he was half their size and weight.

Hopefully this group of guys we have just now will give both us and the younger generation something to be proud of in years to come................

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Agree with all our "players" from the past, all bring back great memories but another full back I didn't see listed was Gary Agnew who I always thought could have made it all the way if injury hadn't done him. Not to mention super Duncan George in the middle of midfield spreading the ball about and destroying anyone who had the audacity to contest a 50/50 ball with him, despite the fact he was half their size and weight.

Hopefully this group of guys we have just now will give both us and the younger generation something to be proud of in years to come................

younger generation something to be proud of in years to come................

Hope so. Would like another cup run. The players certainly look as if they are enjoying their football. Its definitely a new generation, as the last time I saw players at Somerset play with such glee was before half the boys playing now were even born. 20180711_091904.gif

Edited by Roxanne's man
La La La La La La sing a happy song....

6 minutes ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

To lighten things up a bit....

Trivia Question

Which former Ayr United player played in a Champions League Qualifier yesterday?

Is it a The New Saints player? I love Trivia like this :-) 

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Someone on SRE FB page saying that it's the celtic youth goalie Ross Doohan who could be signing, apparently McCrorie doesn't want to come to us on loan but who knows if that's true or not.

He seems like a bit of a roaster so don’t particularly believe him.

Why would McCrorie turn down a guaranteed game at a far higher level than he has played previously. He won’t have any other offers in the championship. 

7 minutes ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

To lighten things up a bit....

Trivia Question

Which former Ayr United player played in a Champions League Qualifier yesterday?

Ironically in the position we are desperate to fill.......

Peter Cherrie anyone?

18 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Ironically in the position we are desperate to fill.......

Peter Cherrie anyone?

Auld Clyde player? Nay-vay! Good for him :-) That's what, a decade and a half ago? (since he made a few appearances in Ayr colours) 

Who was our Main keeper then? Presumably it was Mark Shanks at the helm. Ludovic Roy? 

Edited by Roxanne's man