The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'd agree with you having a far stronger squad than Alloa and I can see you finishing above Qots, what other three sides are you then finishing above though? 

I still don't get the hype with Crawford at all tbh, I wasn't particularly keen on the idea of is signing McDaid either. Couldn't comment on Rose and I've not really seen Moore since he had that head injury. 

There's allot to be said for keeping a settled squad from a winning season, however over a season, and when you hit a rut I can see the lack of quality starting to shine through. In highlights your defence(All of it, not just the keeper) looked an absolute shambles, are Bell and Adams good enough for this level? Geggan looked howling in the playoffs, that midfield looks really similar to the one that didn't do great at this level a couple of seasons ago, but with added Kerr who really struggled last season. Upfront you look good though, while Shankland didn't do great at the championship last time people seem to forget that it was considered a coup for St Mirren to get him because he'd done really well on loan with them. 

I'll have a physical confrontation with anyone that doesn't appreciate Moffat. 

I'm assuming you mean the Alloa TV game rather than playoffs?  He wasn't remotely fit and tried to play, miles off it.  Had been ok at right back until then (awful in midfield when he played though). 

I still don't get the hype with Crawford at all tbh, I wasn't particularly keen on the idea of is signing McDaid either. Couldn't comment on Rose and I've not really seen Moore since he had that head injury. 

There's allot to be said for keeping a settled squad from a winning season, however over a season, and when you hit a rut I can see the lack of quality starting to shine through. In highlights your defence(All of it, not just the keeper) looked an absolute shambles, are Bell and Adams good enough for this level? Geggan looked howling in the playoffs, that midfield looks really similar to the one that didn't do great at this level a couple of seasons ago, but with added Kerr who really struggled last season. Upfront you look good though, while Shankland didn't do great at the championship last time people seem to forget that it was considered a coup for St Mirren to get him because he'd done really well on loan with them. 

I'll have a physical confrontation with anyone that doesn't appreciate Moffat. 

Crawford was outstanding until he got injured last season - confident he’ll do well this season if fit.

To be fair to Geggan he wasn’t anywhere near fit. I don’t think we want Bell or Adams to be regular starters (Bell might be up to it at centre half) we definitely need a centre half, left back and central midfielder to do well.

I think Kerr will have a part to play, he was a class apart in league one - probably unfair to judge him when Falkirk were having an utter shocker. He is severely lacking pace though and would need plenty of it around him.

Oh and Moffat - the first half of the season I couldn’t believe how different he was from his previous soell. His link up play was truly outstanding. Faded away a bit though.

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm assuming you mean the Alloa TV game rather than playoffs?  He wasn't remotely fit and tried to play, miles off it.  Had been ok at right back until then (awful in midfield when he played though). 

That'll be it, he wasn't great. 

When he was with us in the championship he was pretty shocking in midfield, improved tenfold at right back and he was a pretty steady championship fullback by the end of the season, I've no idea what's happened to him as a centre mid though. 

That'll be it, he wasn't great. 
When he was with us in the championship he was pretty shocking in midfield, improved tenfold at right back and he was a pretty steady championship fullback by the end of the season, I've no idea what's happened to him as a centre mid though. 

He had one good game in midfield against Airdrie where he scored 2 goals but apart from that he’s been crap there.

Certainly made up for it at RB though as he was superb despite being injured for most of it.

Why is it that every year every other team in the league we are in always seem to make signings before us ? It nearly always seems we are left with the players who can't get a team ! Obviously I hope our signings prove me wrong and keep us up , but season start is nearly here .

2 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Would be a real buzzkill.

Not really. If we believe what McCall has said up until now it would mean that additional resources have been released, which is good.

26 minutes ago, brigbar said:

Why is it that every year every other team in the league we are in always seem to make signings before us ? It nearly always seems we are left with the players who can't get a team ! Obviously I hope our signings prove me wrong and keep us up , but season start is nearly here .

I've often thought that myself, but maybe all the other teams have more money to spend because they have sold more season tickets and have also been given more money to spend on their team from their directors?  

39 minutes ago, brigbar said:

Because every other team has released lots of players and had no option other than to sign players unless they were planning on a 5 a side league next season.

Remember, we've re-signed almost our entire squad which I for one think was a great bit of business and I'm sure the GK and LB position are done deals otherwise we're playing without a Goalie and a left back next season !!!

Don't fret, it's all good.............

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, brigbar said:

Last year (and the previous year) we did a lot of business early on IIRC. This year the priority has been to re-sign the majority of the squad - which we've done - are now only short of 2-3 players, two of whom were identified weeks ago.

To suggest we're going to be left with players who can't get a team is wide of the mark, albeit you could have probably put Shankland in that camp last season...