The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

How would McDaid staying or leaving have any impact on whether we sign a defender? :huh:

McDaid leaving would free up wages to sign another player.

I don’t think we’ll replace him like for like if he goes.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

McDaid leaving would free up wages to sign another player.

I don’t think we’ll replace him like for like if he goes.

If McDaid goes then we should be replacing him with a winger.

If McDaid goes then we should be replacing him with a winger.

Time for McGuffie to step up be starter in our team. It’s the only way he’ll improve.

Use McDaids wages and go get another midfielder or defender.

Dont know if its just me, but I prefer to see Crawford in one of the wide roles, rather than in centre mid, where he can look a bit lightweight at times.

I'd rather see 2 solid centre mids like Doc / Bell / Adams / Kerr who aren't as attack minded, and 2 forwards and 2 attacking wide players - Crawford and McDaid if he re-signs hopefully with McGuffie and Forrest as back ups

46 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

How would McDaid staying or leaving have any impact on whether we sign a defender? :huh:

As just been answered, it's down to budgets, freed up wages and what we NEED as opposed to what we'd like.

McGuffie, Forrest or Crawford can all play wide if required but at the moment we definitely need to ensure that we sign a keeper and a full back and given the choice I'd rather use any spare money to have a defender for cover as another wide man who may not even be utilised in that particular role or even be seen as a 1st choice.

13 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Dont know if its just me, but I prefer to see Crawford in one of the wide roles, rather than in centre mid, where he can look a bit lightweight at times.

I'd rather see 2 solid centre mids like Doc / Bell / Adams / Kerr who aren't as attack minded, and 2 forwards and 2 attacking wide players - Crawford and McDaid if he re-signs hopefully with McGuffie and Forrest as back ups

Agree. McDaid and Crawford should be the wide players with Doc and New signing/Kerr in the middle.

No panic, but playing devils advocate, I’d point out

- Docherty and Higgins are unlikely to be match fit for the start of the season.

- Rose and Higgins were consistently dreadful as a partnership (either might work with a more dominant centre back)

- Adams largely struggled last time round at championship level.  That said, Adams had his strongest season for us last year so might do better.

- Kerr was released by Falkirk because they didn’t think he had the legs for this level anymore.

To me, we do need a GK, a left back, centre back and probably a centre midfielder.  McDaid going would increase that shopping list.  In fairness, I don’t know where McCall is planning to play Bell this season which might affect who he wants.

Without trying to cause trouble, if Docherty isn't fit, Kerr isn't fit enough and Adams isn't good enough, then quite frankly none of them should have been re-signed as we can't afford any passengers on our tight wage constraints.

My own take is that Kerr offers experience in what's a pretty young team and as a result he has the legs round about him to allow him to dictate play / keep posession without too expending too much energy.

Big Jamie had a great season last year and full time training coupled with his excellent attitude and  strength makes him a "must have" sort of player both on the park and in and around the dressing room.

As for Doc, hopefully he's just about back to full fitness and being injury free playing in a better team with more confidence should hopefully see him become the player we all thought and know he can be.

As I say, I'm pretty confident about the season ahead and the time to start the neagtive stuff will be if we lose our first 3 games on the bounce.................

Edited by Guest
if not when !!

No panic, but playing devils advocate, I’d point out
- Docherty and Higgins are unlikely to be match fit for the start of the season.
- Rose and Higgins were consistently dreadful as a partnership (either might work with a more dominant centre back)
- Adams largely struggled last time round at championship level.  That said, Adams had his strongest season for us last year so might do better.
- Kerr was released by Falkirk because they didn’t think he had the legs for this level anymore.
To me, we do need a GK, a left back, centre back and probably a centre midfielder.  McDaid going would increase that shopping list.  In fairness, I don’t know where McCall is planning to play Bell this season which might affect who he wants.

To be fair, Falkirk also released Lee Miller.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Without trying to cause trouble, if Docherty isn't fit, Kerr isn't fit enough and Adams isn't good enough, then quite frankly none of them should have been re-signed as we can't afford any passengers on our tight wage constraints.

My own take is that Kerr offers experience in what's a pretty young team and as a result he has the legs round about him to allow him to dictate play / keep posession without too expending too much energy.

Big Jamie had a great season last year and full time training coupled with his excellent attitude and  strength makes him a "must have" sort of player both on the park and in and around the dressing room.

As for Doc, hopefully he's just about back to full fitness and being injury free playing in a better team with more confidence should hopefully see him become the player we all thought and know he can be.

As I say, I'm pretty confident about the season ahead and the time to start the neagtive stuff will be if we lose our first 3 games on the bounce.................

Like I said, no panic, but there are question marks in certain areas.  I don’t think Adams trains full time, but he is certainly had his best season for us.  No way did I think he’d play so many games.  The fact that Docherty was only offered a short term contract suggests the club aren’t sure about where he is fitness wise.  

1 minute ago, rb123! said:
11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
Aye but he's only good enough for League 1.

Did he not just play brilliantly for Livingston in the play off to get them promoted or am I thinking of the wrong person...

Of course he did.

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Everyone picked their teams for the Kaisayr AU 500 fundraiser?

Group A- Uruguay

Group B- Portugal 

Group C- Australia 

Group D- Croatia 

Group E- Switzerland 

Group F- Germany 

Group G- England 

Group H- Poland 

Player- Firminho