The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Understand that, but you have to look at how frail the defence was last year against part time teams. This league is going to be a big step up, we need to add quality in areas where we were below par last year.

Our defence was actually v good when it was settled.  

4 hours ago, Ayr145 said:

Anybody know what would have to change at Somerset park if Ayr were to somehow get promoted to the premier league?

Yes, the Ayr fans have to be even bigger pains in the arse.

4 hours ago, Ayr145 said:

Anybody know what would have to change at Somerset park if Ayr were to somehow get promoted to the premier league?

The requirements for the Championship are the same as the Premiership. 

1 minute ago, Diamondatheart said:
32 minutes ago, itzdrk said:
The requirements for the Championship are the same as the Premiership. 

sure theres a 6000 min seat rule in place ,first it was 10'000 hence why we now have 9'000 spare seats on a match day.

That rule was abolished with the creation of the SPFL.

Aye it was a completely pointless rule that’s just resulted in several clubs having massive white elephants.

Somerset definitely needs a lot of work but I’m kind of glad our stadium deal fell through (twice), f**k going to an all-seater every other week.

Aye it was a completely pointless rule that’s just resulted in several clubs having massive white elephants.
Somerset definitely needs a lot of work but I’m kind of glad our stadium deal fell through (twice), f**k going to an all-seater every other week.
somerset is great,a shithole but its my best awayday easy ,some work on that old main stand and roof at the fence ur laughing.ayr and dunfermilne when they house us in the side stand are just great winding each other up between the fence

falkirk was a other that was good that i have seen in my time

The midfielders and forwards who have signed are excellent news.

But let’s not be kidded here, unless we add a minimum of 3 defenders of real quality, including a right back and left back, we are going to be in big trouble at the back next season. Last season we so often relied on outscoring teams to paper over the cracks and get away with it.... that’s not going to work this season.

52 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

The midfielders and forwards who have signed are excellent news.

But let’s not be kidded here, unless we add a minimum of 3 defenders of real quality, including a right back and left back, we are going to be in big trouble at the back next season. Last season we so often relied on outscoring teams to paper over the cracks and get away with it.... that’s not going to work this season.

This might be true up to a point but the alternative view is that it was a team set up to attack, which means risks are taken and gaps appear. The team still managed 12 clean sheets in the league.

Personally I would say we need real pace in our defence, which currently neither Geggan or Bell have - decent players may they be - and obviously an experienced keeper.

We will probably have enough in midfield to be competitive at least, assuming Robbie and Declan re-sign. Would like a proper winger but what remains of the budget needs to go on our defence.

9 hours ago, Diamondatheart said:
9 hours ago, eez-eh said:
That rule was abolished with the creation of the SPFL.

never knew that tbh, breaks my heart even more knowing the sfa fucked us over and change all the rules down the line .

It was an absolutely disgraceful rule, to be frank. You were fucked over, as were Falkirk whose ground was deemed 'unsuitable', as were Gretna who were made to play in a town absolutely nowhere near Gretna, as were Livi who now have the same issue as you with the 9k empty seats. Think they justified it by trotting out the old 'safety' line, but if Somerset/Brockville/Broomfield were safe to host games in Division One, what exactly made them unsafe for the SPL? Nonsense. It's good that it's been scrapped, but it's too late for some.

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

It was an absolutely disgraceful rule, to be frank. You were fucked over, as were Falkirk whose ground was deemed 'unsuitable', as were Gretna who were made to play in a town absolutely nowhere near Gretna, as were Livi who now have the same issue as you with the 9k empty seats. Think they justified it by trotting out the old 'safety' line, but if Somerset/Brockville/Broomfield were safe to host games in Division One, what exactly made them unsafe for the SPL? Nonsense. It's good that it's been scrapped, but it's too late for some.

Excellent point, I used to make that argument all the time as regards "safety" as it also didn't cover cup matches. So for all intents and purposes it would have been ok to be killed in a crush at a cup match but certainly not in a league match.

Very strange reasoning by our chiefs.............