The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

45 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

See, that’s what worries me. Ending a season on such a high and being so emotionally attached to league winning players can without doubt cloud the judgment on whether they can cut it in the league above. 

To me the Championship isn’t just a bit of a step up, it’s a gigantic step up. You’ve got teams there who were Premiership teams not too long ago. It’s such a hard call to make on who was so good against your Alloas and Arbroath to who is good enough to compete with your Dundee Utds, ICTs etc. It really is night and day in terms of level of opponents.

We can make educated guesses but McCall has a hell of a headache trying to figure it out. Because if he gets more wrong than right, it’s 16/17 all over again.

^100% this. I think we need between 6 and 8 additions. To do that the same needs to go out tbh. My thoughts below:

I hate to say it but I think Crawford and McDaid will probably sign for other teams.

Ignoring the contracted guys (Higgins, Bell, Geggan & Moffat) as they won't be going anywhere.

I would only keep one of Docherty, Adams & Kerr. Not sure which for differing reasons.

The only defenders retained would be Rose. Reid maybe for versatility?

We need a new Goalkeeper, Left Back, Centre Half, Right Back, Right Winger, Central Midfielder, Left Winger.

Maybe a Central Forward (Ross Stewart from St Mirren maybe?) but I think Moffat, Moore and Shankland (assuming he stays)  should be enough supplemented by a loan signing.

Edited by Trogdor
Typos - damn autocorrect

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

You're butchering our team!

Apologies, I don't mean to be so callous but the step up is huge!

I would keep Crawford and McDaid. I just have a feeling they will be off elsewhere. 

As for who I'm proposing to chuck: it's the defence, which I think is hard to argue with and in central midfield a decision between an injury prone player, one who can't play on artificial pitches and an elder statesman.

Apologies, I don't mean to be so callous but the step up is huge!
I would keep Crawford and McDaid. I just have a feeling they will be off elsewhere. 
As for who I'm proposing to chuck: it's the defence, which I think is hard to argue with and in central midfield a decision between an injury prone player, one who can't play on artificial pitches and an elder statesman.
Both Adams and Kerr would be great squad players.

Adams gives everything, both at the back and in the middle. Kerr has great experience.

Doc is more difficult to judge because of the injuries.

2 hours ago, somerset_lad said:

In terms of out of contract players I’d say

Keep

Hart
Rose
Adams
Docherty
McDaid
McGuffie
Crawford
Kerr
Moore
Shankland
Forrest

Let go
Boyle
Reid
Ferguson

Slightly harsh on Ferguson as I think he’s decent but we need to upgrade our defenders.

If we're going to compete to stay in the championship next season, then we need to get rid of a lot more than three players. 

Posted this on the other thread at the start of the month. 

contract: 

Chris Higgins- Don’t expect him to be a starter next season but think he’ll be good back up and seems like a good person to have round the dressing room.

Stevie Bell- Been a big fan of Stevie Bell since he has come in and has quickly became a fans favourite and would actually give him the captaincy until the end of the season. Not sure he’ll be good enough to be a starter in the championship though.

Andy Geggan- When he was signed and McCall said he was signing to replace Nicky I was pretty annoyed because I knew how good he was at Centre Mid last time around  but I think his best performances this season have been at right back and I’d happily have him as our starting right back in the championship.

Michael Moffat- Probably our best footballer, a real class act at this level and positive he will do the same in the championship.

Keep: 

Jordan Hart- Keep as back but without doubt a new number one is needed.

Michael Rose- Thought he was absoulote dug meat last season and didn’t want him re-signed but McCall obviously seen something in him and he was given a new contract, happy to be proven young as he’s been a class act this season and it’s probably a toss up between him and Declan McDaid for YPOTY. Happy to have him as one of our starting centre half’s in the championship next year.

Craig Reid- Was a bit unsure with this one but he’s come on to a game the past couple of months after a pretty shaky start. Experienced player who can provide cover at right back or centre back.

Mark Kerr- Has been class since he came in which is reflected in the fact he’s made two of the SPFL TOTW’s since signing. Doesn’t do anything special but can pick a pass and keep the ball ticking over. Only question mark is whether he still has the legs for the Championship but at worst could be decent back up.

Robbie Crawford- A very marmite player, there is still a section of our support who don’t seem to like him for some reason but he was brilliant before getting injured and had he stayed fit I reckon he’d of been a shoe-in for YPOTY and a contender for POTY. Suspect he’ll probably be off but the fact he’s been injured for a large part of the season gives us a slight chance of keeping him.

Alan Forrest- Similar to Craig Reid I was a little bit unsure about Forrest but I’d probably keep him but I feel it really is last chance saloon for him and probably the more important season of his career to date.

Craig McGuffie- been a brilliant impact sub particularly the last couple of months. Would be tempted to loan him out to Stranraer or the likes first part of the season.

Declan McDaid- He’s like a typical winger, inconsistent but when he’s on his game he is brilliant. Probably my YPOTY and really hope we can keep him but think there was talk of Dunfermline sniffing about him so may not be possible.

Craig Moore- Not always a starter this season but scoring 24(?) goals not even including this fact is a terrific achievement. I’m a massive fan of Craig Moore and have mentioned before that if we had kept him fit last season I think we would of stayed up. Would love to find a way of him, Moff and Shankland working together.

Lawrence Shankland- Don’t think this needs much explanation, Brilliant player who we are lucky to have. I want to believe he will stay but there’s no doubt he’ll have plenty of offers. Done an interview with the Daily Record where he was quoted as saying something along the lines of he knows he’ll be able to score goals in the championship if we go up so it seems that there is a chance he’ll stay. He seems like a sensible boy who has his head screwed on and knows McCall gave him a chance when no one else would so hopefully he repays that loyalty and signs a new deal. Please Lawro you know it makes sense x

Release: 

David Ferguson- Feel he’s a decent young player but don’t think he’s cut out for championship football at present. Suppose he may stay as back up.

Paddy Boyle- Has been a great servent for us but feel league 1 is his level. McCall however seems to rate him and gave him the captaincy so wouldn’t be overly surprised to see him offered him a new deal.

Jamie Adams- Don’t think you can dislike the big farmer but he really struggled in the championship last time round so much so that I wanted Paul Cairney to re-sign before him. If he goes I suspect he’ll sign for Stranraer and good luck to him.

Ross Docherty- Probably will come as a surprise to most people that I’ve put him on the release list but for me he’s far too injury prone and has been for the majority of his career. There’s no doubt that If fit he would be a starter for us in the championship but just feel he’s probably one of the highest earners at the club and his wages can go elsewhere.

Don’t know enough about the youngsters to form an opinion on them.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Forrest and Docherty were uninspired last season in the championship and in Docs case is injury prone. I am unconvinced but will bow to McCalls judgement. Kerr has been good at league one level but think he’s too old for the championship.
Hart is just dreadful!

I've been one of Hart's biggest critics but what is the point of hanging him out to dry earlier in the season, dropping him then bringing him back in for last few games then pumping him out the door, he's young, this season might be the making of him, a good experienced keeper in the club with him is what we need.

Can you confirm that the 2400 attendance on BBC sport site is correct? I'd have thought you guys would have attracted around 4000 for such a huge game.

Well if we had not fucked it the week before it would have been in the 4000 mark ..dissapointed with the crowd but we had no chance of winning the league .know a few mate's that didnt go that do normally ...get it up them

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I've been one of Hart's biggest critics but what is the point of hanging him out to dry earlier in the season, dropping him then bringing him back in for last few games then pumping him out the door, he's young, this season might be the making of him, a good experienced keeper in the club with him is what we need.

Didn't like Hart either but since coming back in he's been fine. Would still like a big no1

37 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Well if we had not fucked it the week before it would have been in the 4000 mark ..dissapointed with the crowd but we had no chance of winning the league .know a few mate's that didnt go that do normally ...get it up them

After the Alloa game I thought we'd blown it and considered not going, but as the week went on I had a sneaky feeling that we would do it so went along in hope.

I thought the crowd was better on Saturday for not having the usual scummy elements that seem to emerge for our "glory" games.