The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Contracted - Geggan, Bell, Moffat, Higgins.

Keep - Hart (maybe not first choice), Rose, McDaid, Crawford, Kerr (player/coach), McGuffie, Forrest, Moore, Shankland 

Away - Reid, Boyle, Adams, Ferguson

Not sure - Docherty and whatever youth players are retained.

What we realistically need? 1 GK, 3/4 defenders, possibly 2 midfielders and 1 striker. All dependent on who goes/stays.

Pretty sure from Paddy's body language yesterday, he knows he's away.

Never have I loved such an average player more.

Goodnight sweetheart. May Cliftonhill worship you.

Edited by sci-fi
Alcohol

Might sound mental but I’d be inclined to keep Adams and see how he does at centre half. In midfield he might get overrun but he’s dominating in the air and throws his body in front of everything.

Maybe not first choice but he’s worth keeping around.

The main priority next season is without a doubt to sign at the very least two Championship quality centre halves as well as a left back and a right back. We are ridiculously short at the back and Boyle is not good enough at Championship level and I still think we need and out and out right back. Full backs in the modern game need pace and neither Geggan or Boyle have a lot of it.

Pretty sure from Paddy's body language yesterday, he knows he's away.
Never have I loved such an average player more.
Goodnight sweetheart. May Cliftonhill worship you.

Was great in his first season, but out his depth in the Championship and injuries have cost him this season.

Kerr was good in league 1 but looks slow at times hence the reason we got him from Falkirk.

Reid improved towards the end.

Forrest, still can't decide.

Hart as back up to Cammy Bell

Crawford, Shankland & McDaid please please please stay.

Bell & Higgins yes.

Moff & Moore good squaddies.

Paddy caught out too many times last season.

I trust McCall with our future.

ETA  Adams, Rose, McGuffie and Doc all yes

Edited by Honestmen

Just now, somerset_lad said:

Was great in his first season, but out his depth in the Championship and injuries have cost him this season.

I know. Would still square go any c**t that shouts abuse at him mind.

What a winner at Stinlar early this season though.

The main priority next season is without a doubt to sign at the very least two Championship quality centre halves as well as a left back and a right back. We are ridiculously short at the back and Boyle is not good enough at Championship level and I still think we need and out and out right back. Full backs in the modern game need pace and neither Geggan or Boyle have a lot of it.
Bell, Higgins, and rose are all good enough to keep at centre back.

I'd say two good full backs are the priority (ideally one that can also play centrally).

Other than that a gk and a central midfielder. I'd keep Kerr, Adams and doc (Kerr as a backup/coach and Adams as general superman figure).

We'd obviously need a strong striker if shanks doesn't sign.

So for me 4 players are essential - with replacements if anyone else leaves.

I reckon Ferguson and Boyle will probably leave - but can't think of anyone else that shouldn't be kept on.

But I very much trust the manager to make the right calls.

If there’s one thing you couldn’t really criticise the manager on it’s his signings.

With the exception of a couple of iffy ones last season everyone he’s brought in has proved their worth.

I trust him to sign the right players and if we get them right then we shouldn’t need a massive overhaul.

I'd also like to see most of the current squad resign with the addition of a minimum of 5 new signings, preferably 7 or so budget dependant. I think most of our midfield and forwards should be good enough, but we need a new keeper and defence as main priority.

Release: Hart, Ferguson, Reid, Boyle.

Resign: Everyone else out of contract.

Sign: 2 keepers, 2 centre backs, left back, right back and a winger.

Edited by Honest_Ally

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Guys we are well short of championship quality we need a bigger clear out than most are suggesting

See, that’s what worries me. Ending a season on such a high and being so emotionally attached to league winning players can without doubt cloud the judgment on whether they can cut it in the league above. 

To me the Championship isn’t just a bit of a step up, it’s a gigantic step up. You’ve got teams there who were Premiership teams not too long ago. It’s such a hard call to make on who was so good against your Alloas and Arbroath to who is good enough to compete with your Dundee Utds, ICTs etc. It really is night and day in terms of level of opponents.

We can make educated guesses but McCall has a hell of a headache trying to figure it out. Because if he gets more wrong than right, it’s 16/17 all over again.

Guys we are well short of championship quality we need a bigger clear out than most are suggesting

Thats never a good idea

A massive overhaul means that the squad needs time to gel and also means you’re taking longer trying to find loads of players that are good enough.

When Dunfermline, Morton and Livi went up not every single player was Championship standard. They didn’t overhaul the squad. They made key changes and over time they have made changes.

That’s what we need to be doing.

You're underestimating the effect of team unity.

Bringing in 7 or 8 first team players mean we lose all the spirit that won this team the league.

I'd also like to see most of the current squad resign with the addition of a minimum of 5 new signings, preferably 7 or so budget dependant. I think most of our midfield and forwards should be good enough, but we need a new keeper and defence as main priority.
Release: Hart, Reid, Boyle, Ferguson.
Resign: Everyone else out of contract.
Sign: 2 keepers, 2 centre backs, left back, right back, winger at a minimum.

Do you think we need two centre halfs though? If Higgins recovers then for me we'd have three good ones.

I would want cover but it's the full backs that have been the weakness in the last few months.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Bell, Higgins, and rose are all good enough to keep at centre back.

I'd say two good full backs are the priority (ideally one that can also play centrally).

Other than that a gk and a central midfielder. I'd keep Kerr, Adams and doc (Kerr as a backup/coach and Adams as general superman figure).

We'd obviously need a strong striker if shanks doesn't sign.

So for me 4 players are essential - with replacements if anyone else leaves.

I reckon Ferguson and Boyle will probably leave - but can't think of anyone else that shouldn't be kept on.

But I very much trust the manager to make the right calls.

Quite agree on CB options. Add a Balatoni to that and we have a chance. Full backs are utterly essential. Cannae think of immediate candidates though.

Roundly agree with everything especially keeping Superman.

Quite agree on CB options. Add a Balatoni to that and we have a chance. Full backs are utterly essential. Cannae think of immediate candidates though.
Roundly agree with everything especially keeping Superman.

There’s a wee right back down at Walsall I think. Can’t remember his name but might be worth a look.