The Bandstand Thread - Stranraer FC 2018-19

Cheers for pointing out the match photograph albums earlier on, big help. Managed to snag a Stranraer kit of my own, worn by Ross Barbour v. Alloa back in 2016/2017. That was his only League match, plus some Challenge Cup ties, before disappearing into Junior football. Suppose he didn't make the grade?

I'll pen an article about shirt, player, and club somewhere in the future for my blog, but right now just really pleased to have this top in as I find the new Joma effort to be a bit substandard and unimaginative.

drrr2.thumb.jpg.4cf7f730a47d02caa657f0850682c60e.jpgdrrr3.thumb.jpg.ea72ab7a347d088b044ffc351bd5acd1.jpg

On 28/06/2018 at 11:18, beefybake said:

You do have to back up what you say with a little more than 'shrewd'.  I haven't actually right now been and re- checked on soccerbase, wikipaedia etc to see where they've been, what they've done, goals scored.... , but over the weeks, at the time, I've noted that there seems to me to be rather a lot of guys being signed who don't seem to have done much at all. 

So those shrewd signings are going to have to start performing rather quickly. Which is why I made the comment about Turner and Anderson.

Some early negativity even from you Beefy. Anderson only showed in last Quarter of season what a good player he is. Hamill played a big part in steading young players last season suprised he got no mention from you.

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Cheers for pointing out the match photograph albums earlier on, big help. Managed to snag a Stranraer kit of my own, worn by Ross Barbour v. Alloa back in 2016/2017. That was his only League match, plus some Challenge Cup ties, before disappearing into Junior football. Suppose he didn't make the grade?

That was the boy who had been at Killie previously, I think he played a few games in the Premiership as well but he was very poor at Stranraer. I think this was him giving away a penalty at right back vs Rangers in the first few minutes at Ibrox.

4 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Some early negativity even from you Beefy. Anderson only showed in last Quarter of season what a good player he is. Hamill played a big part in steading young players last season suprised he got no mention from you.

Grant Anderson :  4 goals scored in first half of season.

4 goals scored in 2nd half of season. 

Wow!  So far we've played 2 out of 6 friendlies, tried out some triallists, the team have more or less all met each other...and the negativity has started already.  How about giving them a chance (quarter of a season maybe) before expressing doubts?  Or even wait till March, as that's when the season starts to pan out?  We have this every year and, even after all the upheaval in January, we still were knocking at the door of the play-offs, out-performing our budget and our gate!

It counts for nothing (for all the same reasons...too early to tell) but I've watched both friendlies.  There is a fair bit of experience, a lot of passion, a lot of youth and energy...and Faz!  I'm quite excited for what is going to be an interesting season ahead.

I asked some of the players if they read P&B.  They said no, it can be soul-destroying!

Chin up, Beefy...it's not like you!

To be fair I can understand Beefy's concerns. Those rumours that Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez were heading to Stair Park turned out not to be true. Maybe we’ll have to settle for Kane.

One Kane was supposed to be going to you, Kane Hester, but he’s going to Elgin now. Who Farrell was on about in his interview. Hope it’s some plot from us to get Sutherland in.

I'll pen an article about shirt, player, and club somewhere in the future for my blog, but right now just really pleased to have this top in as I find the new Joma effort to be a bit substandard and unimaginative.
drrr2.thumb.jpg.4cf7f730a47d02caa657f0850682c60e.jpgdrrr3.thumb.jpg.ea72ab7a347d088b044ffc351bd5acd1.jpg

Joma kit is the nicest we’ve had in years. Shade of blue very similar to our first Nike kit, which probably generated more excitement than any short we’ve had. Few good players wore it too.
Ross Barbour was a huge disappointment, not sure how much of the blame for that lies with him or the manager at the time. From what I understand Ross could of done with an arm round the shoulder at the time but, Brian Reid maybe wasn’t the best man for that.

There is no middle ground with Isaac, he is either very good or looks as if he’s never played football before. Unfortunately the good games were few and far between. Be interesting to see how he gets on at Stranraer.

We have Dean Hawkshaw on trial. How was he last season??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

19 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

What like was Morena for you guys last season?

Giuliano was a bit of a fan favourite.

100% effort and a great attitude, chases everything. Honest hard working guy, always thought of him as a lower league Kante. Plenty of dig, good passer of the ball, not afraid to shoot from distance.

Was a casualty of the change in management and found his chances limited. Glad to see him back.

Giuliano was a bit of a fan favourite.
100% effort and a great attitude, chases everything. Honest hard working guy, always thought of him as a lower league Kante. Plenty of dig, good passer of the ball, not afraid to shoot from distance.
Was a casualty of the change in management and found his chances limited. Glad to see him back.

Sounds very positive. He certainly came across as a hard working defensive midfielder in both games I’ve seen him.