The Bandstand Thread - Stranraer FC 2018-19

12 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Agnew isn’t a loss, he’ll probably go junior and see out a couple of years he has left. If he had two feet he could of still played at this level.

Scored 13 times this season. Looks remarkably like a loss to me.

S'truth, what are we offering these players ? 

5 bob a week, and buy their own fish suppers at away games ?

Edited by beefybake

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

Probably not too much more than that, to be fair!  Our gates at the end of the season were around half the gate away at Airdrie or Arbroath, and we're not going to get the Black and White £, or many visiting supporters from all the Angus clubs.  It's going to be a lean season, unless we get a good Cup run, and will take similar inspirational work from Faz and Stuart and staff to achieve similar results to what they managed on a drastically reduced budget and team in the second half of the last season.  It was a tough season to be a Stranraer supporter but it certainly wasn't boring, and the highs of the Golden Goose, the away win at Arbroath and the ensuing run of wins, and of course, spoiling Ayr's party at Somerset Park, were all the sweeter coming on the back of a tough winter.

I'm happier the club are cutting their cloth accordingly, and would be delighted to achieve 5th place again, against all the odds, and maybe a scrape into the play-offs.  On top of that, we are developing good young players that are attracting the interest of clubs like Motherwell, West Brom and Aberdeen.  If anyone has ideas how to improve the gate, sell more season tickets, or attract more investment then we might be able to afford the strikers, the Willie Gibsons and Malkys that people expect us to sign, and push for promotion. 

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

To be fair, 8 of those were from the penalty spot, and he only scored 3 the season before that.

I'd rather have a club to support than pay for Scott Agnew's fish supper.

12 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Suspect the use of the word “terms” means that we were simply able to offer a two year deal, which I imagine is a big pull for a 30 year old.

Can’t imagine we’ll be paying huge amounts more.

We are allegedly

16 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Probably in the minority here but Hamill was a major disappointment this season.

The amount of times he failed to track back from right back was scary. Up against a good winger he was a walking booking.

A bit more competent at centre back but not captain material.

Really disappointed with this.

if this sets the bar for this summers signings I’d say relegation is imminent.

Agnew isn’t a loss, he’ll probably go junior and see out a couple of years he has left. If he had two feet he could of still played at this level.

Neil is a loss. Will probably find another club at this level prepared to pay more than we’re offering this season. Can’t blame him for that. That’s down to our own problems.

Thompson was an Aitken signing, one of the ones that signed before he changed his mind and went to Dumbarton. Always felt for Thompson as the players who were due to arrive after him had the making of a league wining team. Unfortunately that’s the circles football moves in. Probably never saw the best of Ryan but he was ok. Don’t think he’s irreplaceable though.

Not a great start but, to be expected if we’re cutting things this season.

difference of opinion on Hamill, but was the best weighted hitter of a ball into the box very rarely overhit, excellent game at Ayr, glad he signed.

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How can Stranraer fans say Agnew isn’t a loss? Surely your best player? Wouldn’t mind Thomson.

Thompson has been a big disappointment for most of the season, even worse than Okoh when played up front (TBF he's not a striker) and poor in an attacking midfield position. Thought he had his best game when positioned in front of the defence but was injured after that and missed the last few games of the season.

How can Stranraer fans say Agnew isn’t a loss? Surely your best player? Wouldn’t mind Thomson.

I think I’m the only one that doesn’t rate him too highly.
Find him very frustrating to watch. Posted earlier in the season about his inability to pass the ball to the left hand side. Understand not every player is competent but, Agnew often wasted possession by being caught on the ball or trying a hard pass to the right, when if he’d used his other foot an easy pass was on.
Good from dead balls and could probably offer something playing right in behind a front two. Not many teams at this level will play with that shape though.

Positive news about Max signing on. He’s really improved and looks as if he’s going to be a steady goalkeeper.
Nice to see Lyle Avicci on the books too. I’m sure if he’s patient like Currie his chance will come.
Know little about the boy from St Mirren.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A player coming from st mirren that just got relegated from SPL to drop down to league 1 he showed be strolling about in his slippers and sticking out like a sore thumb. But he's been very very poor. Took over on pen after Wallace left to you boys and won top scorer. Was a big disappointment after his first stint with the club. 

Thommo would be a great signing for any club in our league. Used as a striker in many games when we were short but he's at his best in middle of the park. Does all the dirty work and the stuff thay goes unnoticed in the middle. Ball winner and gives 100%. Will miss him just like Robertson.