Elgin City 2018/19

There's yer Shane Sutherland having a go at fans on Twitter 4 games into the season. I wrote this post 3 months ago....

On 10/06/2018 at 11:48, MorayCup said:
I just can't see keeping him as being a good option now it's clear he's unhappy, we saw in his last stint at Elgin before he went to Peterhead that a sulking Shane Sutherland is a total passenger most of the time and that's what we'd have on our hands again if we blocked a move and didn't give him a pay rise, so we could keep him and get nowhere near the playoffs anyway, at least selling him gets some money in and frees up a big chunk of wages too and we can get in someone that wants to be here.

We should have taken the money and ran IMO

Edited to add: looking further into his Twitter activity, he's also hinted to Thomas Reilly about wanting to leave and his likes are full of tweets from Brora's account (who had a bid for him rejected last week). Honestly wish we had sold him when we had the chance, his commitment to Elgin just clearly isn't there anymore. 

Edited by MorayCup

There's yer Shane Sutherland having a go at fans on Twitter 4 games into the season. I wrote this post 3 months ago....
Edited to add: looking further into his Twitter activity, he's also hinted to Thomas Reilly about wanting to leave and his likes are full of tweets from Brora's account (who had a bid rejected for him last week). Honestly wish we had sold him when we had the chance, his commitment to Elgin just clearly isn't there anymore. 

Should have let us have him imo.

If those rumours were at all true....

2 hours ago, MorayCup said:

Edited to add: looking further into his Twitter activity, he's also hinted to Thomas Reilly about wanting to leave and his likes are full of tweets from Brora's account (who had a bid for him rejected last week). Honestly wish we had sold him when we had the chance, his commitment to Elgin just clearly isn't there anymore. 

If you think Shane Sutherland is the problem then you really need a dose of reality. He's not been great but tell me who has!?  This ridiculous persistence with a formation that leaves us with huge holes in the middle that soapy and jp can't hope to fill is the major problem - especially when the wing backs are absolute bombscares!!' 

If you think Shane Sutherland is the problem then you really need a dose of reality. He's not been great but tell me who has!?  This ridiculous persistence with a formation that leaves us with huge holes in the middle that soapy and jp can't hope to fill is the major problem - especially when the wing backs are absolute bombscares!!' 

Off the pitch, he absolutely is a problem, no player of a football club should conduct themselves in that manner publicly, just look at the furor that Dembele has caused with the Celtic fans. It's clearly had a slight effect on his on field performance too but the point of my post isn't really about matters on the pitch.

17 hours ago, MorayCup said:

Off the pitch, he absolutely is a problem, no player of a football club should conduct themselves in that manner publicly, just look at the furor that Dembele has caused with the Celtic fans. It's clearly had a slight effect on his on field performance too but the point of my post isn't really about matters on the pitch.

Sutherland has not helped himself with the way he's acted but it seems he's now the focus of every fans angst when we don't play well regardless of where the problem lies. He hasn't been great but he's still head and shoulders above most in that team in ability and I really don't see this perceived "can't be arsed" attitude". If we play a system that can actually get our midfield on the ball to give him or any other forward something to work with then I think he'll be fine. 5 at the back simply doesn't work with the players we have, it leaves huge holes in central midfield and the lack of goals conceded thus far ( Saturday's abomination aside) has been down to a lot of superb last ditch tackles and blocks, not from stopping the opposition creating chances. Anyway, I really don't want to argue with fellow fans as everyone has an opinion and they're perfectly entitled to it. That said, I can't remember being at a game and hearing our own fans giving such vocal abuse to our own players. Some absolute a/hole actually had McHardy that wound up he was more concerned with the terraces than the game.

4 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Sutherland has not helped himself with the way he's acted but it seems he's now the focus of every fans angst when we don't play well regardless of where the problem lies. He hasn't been great but he's still head and shoulders above most in that team in ability and I really don't see this perceived "can't be arsed" attitude". 

He's just spent the summer trying to get a move away from the club and disrupting/unsettling the club ahead of a massive season, it'd be incredibly niave of him to expect that to just blow over and be forgotten already, the best way to achieve that is by doing his talking on the pitch, not throw snide around comments and play silly games on Twitter. While a minority of the fans take it way too far and they need to get a grip, you could see this coming a mile off after his summer antics, which id why we'd have been just as well selling him. 

Hows Lowden getting on
He got forward well on Saturday and looked promising but his end product was pretty awful, he over hit nearly every cross down the left. Once we restructured the defence at half time he wasn't able to get forward quite as much but looked solid enough at the back.

Sutherland has not helped himself with the way he's acted but it seems he's now the focus of every fans angst when we don't play well regardless of where the problem lies. He hasn't been great but he's still head and shoulders above most in that team in ability and I really don't see this perceived "can't be arsed" attitude". If we play a system that can actually get our midfield on the ball to give him or any other forward something to work with then I think he'll be fine. 5 at the back simply doesn't work with the players we have, it leaves huge holes in central midfield and the lack of goals conceded thus far ( Saturday's abomination aside) has been down to a lot of superb last ditch tackles and blocks, not from stopping the opposition creating chances. Anyway, I really don't want to argue with fellow fans as everyone has an opinion and they're perfectly entitled to it. That said, I can't remember being at a game and hearing our own fans giving such vocal abuse to our own players. Some absolute a/hole actually had McHardy that wound up he was more concerned with the terraces than the game.
In fairness to Darryl, not that it's much of a defence, he was getting some amount of stick from Frazer Wright on the Stirling bench. Not sure what his problem was, but he spent most of the second half shouting abuse at Darryl and Craig Beattie at the back. Strange little man.

1 minute ago, WeAreElgin said:
8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

In fairness to Darryl, not that it's much of a defence, he was getting some amount of stick from Frazer Wright on the Stirling bench. Not sure what his problem was, but he spent most of the second half shouting abuse at Darryl and Craig Beattie at the back. Strange little man.

What’s happening at Elgin? I was up for the Cowden game and spoke to some local fans who weren’t too happy with the set up. I’ve been up for many other games and never got the impression that there were any problems.

What’s happening at Elgin? I was up for the Cowden game and spoke to some local fans who weren’t too happy with the set up. I’ve been up for many other games and never got the impression that there were any problems.
No idea, we have consistently had one of the most toxic fanbases I've ever seen. Considering where we were 10-15 years ago, getting pumped every single week, you'd think that some of the old crowd would be a little less fickle when we don't win every single game. 7 points and a game in hand on the 1st September is not a bad place to be in, and some of these guys need to get a grip.

There was once a few years back when Ross Jack was manager, I think we were 3 or 4 goals up in a game and someone started screaming at one of our players for misplacing a pass. These guys must have a pretty miserable existence when all they want to do is stand and shout shit at our best players, every week. Stupid old b*****ds.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. We are supposed to be supporters supporting the team and players within it. We all have opinions about players but on a Saturday we would be better offering encouragement especially when we are down. Too many shouting the same shit week in week out, regardless of how the game is going and have been since the sixties and beyond. Decent start to the season with the makings of a good team. Let’s hope Sat was a blip and I’m sure there will be a few others, just like other teams have had already and will as the season goes on. 

Couldn’t have put it better myself. We are supposed to be supporters supporting the team and players within it. We all have opinions about players but on a Saturday we would be better offering encouragement especially when we are down. Too many shouting the same shit week in week out, regardless of how the game is going and have been since the sixties and beyond. Decent start to the season with the makings of a good team. Let’s hope Sat was a blip and I’m sure there will be a few others, just like other teams have had already and will as the season goes on. 
Half the problem is that a lot of "supporters" get most of their footballing knowledge from watching EPL games on Sky and BT, with the added bonus of "expert" analysis from "expert" pundits. Far too much pressure is put on League 2 players. They are playing in League 2 for a very good reason...

There was once a few years back when Ross Jack was manager

Anyone know what Jack is up to these days? Was a big fan of his as a player and during his time of managing you. Really turned it around at Elgin during his time at the club (from an outsiders point of view).

11 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Anyone know what Jack is up to these days? Was a big fan of his as a player and during his time of managing you. Really turned it around at Elgin during his time at the club (from an outsiders point of view).

He was manager of Turriff Utd in the HL for a few years until recently.

On 3 September 2018 at 11:51, WeAreElgin said:

No idea, we have consistently had one of the most toxic fanbases I've ever seen. Considering where we were 10-15 years ago, getting pumped every single week, you'd think that some of the old crowd would be a little less fickle when we don't win every single game. 7 points and a game in hand on the 1st September is not a bad place to be in, and some of these guys need to get a grip.

There was once a few years back when Ross Jack was manager, I think we were 3 or 4 goals up in a game and someone started screaming at one of our players for misplacing a pass. These guys must have a pretty miserable existence when all they want to do is stand and shout shit at our best players, every week. Stupid old b*****ds.

We, probably along with most clubs, have fans that have a moan when things aren't going well. It is usually terrace chat amongst those in hearing distance - I know I do it! Small ground, small crowd - the players can hear everything that is shouted and it's hard not to react to that. You get enough people together and there are bound to be some knobs in there but they should look up supporter in the dictionary! I've never once not clapped the players off the pitch and like stated it's not that long ago we were putting performances like that in most weeks and were lucky there was no relegation.