Elgin City 2018/19

Don't get the 'not going to risk him' argument myself. It's a football match, in which footballers like to play. Ultimately this game is no different than all the pre-season friendlies, training games, & BetFred ties that have been played over the last few weeks, so is there any more 'risk' in a game vs Forres than against Jeanfield Swift, Rothes, Lossie, Clach (where Soapy was injured), Arbroath (Darryl), Alloa or Stirling? And any of them could get injured in training tonight, or on Saturday, or next week. Most players would far rather play two games in a week than one & two training sessions....& some of the lads that played last night will train tonight aswell, so does that put tired bodies at more risk of injury? It's SPFL DIV 2 & the NoS Cup, not Premier League & the Europa League, so don't personally feel that any players need to be protected from the 'risk' of injury.....they just want to play football!

Really happy with the game today to start the season.

Some cracking stuff played at times against a team who tried to bully us off the park.

Very encouraging signs, we are scoring a lot of goals and Russell Dingwall looks to be an outstanding signing.

Also impressing me greatly is Rory McEwan who was excellent.

Still the usual negative shouts in the enclosure from the old codgers who still think they are watching football in the 1950s. Embarrassing shouting at players, that is absolutely shocking Elgin when they are leading 3-0 with 5 minutes to go and the only crime is passing a ball backwards 5 yards to keep possession. Drives me mad.

Aye there are some crackers in there[emoji33]
It's ridiculous. They are starting to get shouted down more often now which is good.
Hopefully if the team continue to do well they will be totally silenced because the last thing the players need is that constantly in their ears.
The clown that continually singled out Bronsky yesterday when it was totally quiet was especially annoying.
Another cracker was "We obviously don't work on anything in training this is absolutely pathetic Elgin" with 2 minutes to go when we have comfortably won our 1st game of the season in lovely weather.
I looked over at the final whistle and the boy that shouted that nonsense didn't even clap. Makes me wonder if they prefer it when we are hopeless so they can gurn and moan.

12 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

Some cracking stuff played at times against a team who tried to bully us off the park.

Very encouraging signs, we are scoring a lot of goals and Russell Dingwall looks to be an outstanding signing.

Still the usual negative shouts in the enclosure from the old codgers who still think they are watching football in the 1950s. Embarrassing shouting at players, that is absolutely shocking Elgin when they are leading 3-0 with 5 minutes to go and the only crime is passing a ball backwards 5 yards to keep possession. Drives me mad.

Yup, agree with all that, & if they can keep playing the ball on the deck, rather than those periods of the game when it went route one, then they look all the better for it. I'm sure that Gav will also be working in training on getting it moving more quickly more often, as lots of shouts to that effect from the technical area. Might also be nice to see something other than the formulaic substitutions that seem to come every game - Willis with 15 to go & Loveland with 5 to go - when game situations such as yesterday permit giving longer run outs, as there will definitely be games when it won't be appropriate. It's been mentioned on here as to there not being too much on the bench, but if the lads aren't given opportunity / game time, then that's not going to change. Scott got 2 minutes & one touch yesterday, but that doesn't really tell you a great deal, & Ballam was left on the bench with both centre backs on a yellow & Wilson having taken a clattering.  

Great result and sounds like a decent performance too. I often think the opening game is massive in determining how the season goes. When we beat Cowden on the opening day in 2016 it was a pretty even game (and the two teams looked fairly evenly matched beforehand) and we went on to have very different seasons, so to win so convincingly is brilliant.

However, I do still think we need a winger or two. O'Keefe looks ok but beyond that we're putting square pegs in round holes. Granted we do have injuries right now, that bench was so uninspiring and a couple of attacking players (+ ideally a backup goalie) will give me much more confidence. We've yet to sign a loan player so I'd expect a couple of them, and while there's plenty of time before the window shuts the season has started and we could do with them soon.

On 03/08/2019 at 22:41, Super Elgin City said:

4 rockets out of 600 plus is not too bad

Edited by elgin proud

• 2 years later...

Hi

Myself, my dad and my 2 brothers have decided to finally do the 1000miles round trip to come and watch a game at Elgin which is a team we have taken an interest in for many years after always betting on them in our accumulators.
We will be coming up for the game against Cowdenbeath on 13th November and would love to meet some local fans for a chat and a beer 

So if anyone would like to take us under there wing on match day please let me know

Steve